Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2021, 06:15 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,074,925 times

Advertisements

Well, we did stop having 300,000+ daily new infections and 4,000+ daily deaths…

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
And almost 2 years in, not one measure stopped a virus that politicians and health officials told you or thought they could control. Even further the "vaccine" didn't stop anything.

You could be like those sneaky liberals and buy some Pfizer and Moderna stock to cash in on the bill gates 5g microchip bonanza…

As for side effects it’s better to have a low-grade fever and a headache and be fine the next day than to cough your lungs out while gasping for air and be dead the next week. But hey, at least your precious bodily fluids won’t be contaminated by those microchips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
you are singing to a bunch of liberals who don't give a d...about severe side effects of these "vaccines". They don't believe it and they don't care. They also don't care how many boosters it takes to try to tone the virus down. Only how much money Pfizer and Moderna are making.

Last edited by WestieWhitie; 11-07-2021 at 06:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 09:19 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,109,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
you are singing to a bunch of liberals who don't give a d...about severe side effects of these "vaccines". They don't believe it and they don't care. They also don't care how many boosters it takes to try to tone the virus down. Only how much money Pfizer and Moderna are making.
And you've succumbed to a bunch of hooey about supposed, totally uncorrelated, side effects of one of the safest, most closely monitored vaccine rollouts in history. One thing's for certain--we all know the "side effects" of catching the virus. Unfortunately, the family members of 750K people will feel those side effects the rest of their lives.

Old 11-07-2021, 10:01 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,416,532 times
Don't forget those who catch the virus but survive--the long-term effects are simply unknown at this point. And there are going to be a very large number of people in that situation, in the tens of millions so far. When I looked it up, the claim was that about a third of Americans had been infected by the end of last year. Of course many of them never had symptoms or only very mild ones, but still, it's unpredictable what's going to happen to them.

https://www.publichealth.columbia.ed...id-19-end-2020

Last edited by Amontillado; 11-07-2021 at 10:10 AM..

Old 11-08-2021, 04:57 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,984,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Only 58% of Americans have been fully vaccinated, so why do you think it should have stopped the pandemic? The vaccines have saved countless lives.
You don't have any clue how many lives the vaccines have saved. You are just parroting propaganda, and you and many people here know it.

Why would I expect that vaccinating more than half of Americans for a virus more than a third of Americans have already had and recovered from would bring that virus below pandemic levels? Gee, I don't know, maybe because...that's how a vaccine is supposed to work?

Old 11-08-2021, 05:07 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,928,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
^ straw man
Says the poster who can't post any evidence in support of their assertion! Analogies are not straw men. They are analogies.

I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if you're willing to show me that there's any evidence that kids are superspreaders. Two years ago I was open to the idea that kids could be superspreaders. After two years (and six months of delta), there's plenty of evidence to support my assertion (although no perfect evidence, which there will never be), so there needs to be EVIDENCE to refute the assertion. It can't just be doubt. It can't just be calling out something as irresponsible.

Old 11-08-2021, 06:44 AM

17,759 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Says the poster who can't post any evidence in support of their assertion! Analogies are not straw men. They are analogies.

I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if you're willing to show me that there's any evidence that kids are superspreaders. Two years ago I was open to the idea that kids could be superspreaders. After two years (and six months of delta), there's plenty of evidence to support my assertion (although no perfect evidence, which there will never be), so there needs to be EVIDENCE to refute the assertion. It can't just be doubt. It can't just be calling out something as irresponsible.
jay, the only assertion I've made is that the sources you've provided for your assertion are garbage.

I've repeatedly said that I don't know if kids are super spreaders. Nothing you've irresponsibly shown has changed that.

Old 11-08-2021, 01:31 PM

779 posts, read 878,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
Don't forget those who catch the virus but survive--the long-term effects are simply unknown at this point. And there are going to be a very large number of people in that situation, in the tens of millions so far. When I looked it up, the claim was that about a third of Americans had been infected by the end of last year. Of course many of them never had symptoms or only very mild ones, but still, it's unpredictable what's going to happen to them.

https://www.publichealth.columbia.ed...id-19-end-2020
Can't you say the same thing about those who've gotten the vaccine? I mean, if we're talking about the "uknowns" of long-term effects, COVID has been around longer than the vaccine.

Also, the only people I know right now who currently have covid were already vaccinated. If the point of the vaccine is NOT to stop the spread, but instead to reduce hospitalizations, then are those who are vaccinated just staying in their homes forever in case they get covid and then possibly suffer from some unknown long-term effect?

Old 11-08-2021, 04:33 PM

NewfieMama, as a person who respects science, I have to accept what you say, that nobody has had the vaccine long enough for there to be any certainty about long-term effects. However, adverse effects once the initial few weeks are over seem pretty rare. On the other hand, we do know the short-term effects of getting COVID--you can die! And if you don't die, you can have a nasty lingering disease. So far I think the odds greatly favor getting the vaccine. Here's someone who was hospitalized apologizing to the medical staff for not getting vaccinated--something he's lucky to have survived to do:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...pital-survivor

Staying home to avoid the disease is so last year. When we've had the vaccination, we feel secure enough to go out! The chances of getting the disease are far less than without the vaccine, and even if that fails, the chances of severe illness or death are much lower too. It's all a matter of the odds.

Old 11-08-2021, 05:24 PM

12,470 posts, read 9,550,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
NewfieMama, as a person who respects science, I have to accept what you say, that nobody has had the vaccine long enough for there to be any certainty about long-term effects. However, adverse effects once the initial few weeks are over seem pretty rare. On the other hand, we do know the short-term effects of getting COVID--you can die! And if you don't die, you can have a nasty lingering disease. So far I think the odds greatly favor getting the vaccine. Here's someone who was hospitalized apologizing to the medical staff for not getting vaccinated--something he's lucky to have survived to do:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...pital-survivor

Staying home to avoid the disease is so last year. When we've had the vaccination, we feel secure enough to go out! The chances of getting the disease are far less than without the vaccine, and even if that fails, the chances of severe illness or death are much lower too. It's all a matter of the odds.
Yes, in fact, vaccines generally - rarely have hidden side effects that only appear long after exposure. I'd like to see some examples from those proposing this as a legitimate risk to be concerned about. And we've had over 100 years experience with vaccines, so if that was a thing, I think we'd know it by now.

Re long term effects of Covid-19, they're really not hidden - they often show up in patients while they're still in the hospital, except the focus at first is simply on keeping the patient stable and alive, so it's more once the patient is well enough to be punted from the hospital that attention begins to be paid to ongoing problems that aren't emergencies. They're not common for those with a mild course of disease, but they are quite common among those who've been hospitalized with Covid-19 - pathologies like ongoing difficulties breathing, persistent fatigue, confusion, memory loss, depression, etc. What we're still learning is how long these problems may persist and how to best treat them, but progress is being made. Physical therapy and occupational therapy have been found to have value.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:10 PM

By "long term effects" I wasn't thinking of a continuation of the disease, but something that might come back to haunt a person after decades. Could damage from Covid-19 leave organs weakened, so that it would make other results of age harder to survive, even if the symptoms had been minimal for a long time? That's what we'll have to wait to find out.

Or the vaccine might have a similar effect! But I think that's not as likely.

Last edited by Amontillado; 11-08-2021 at 10:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts