Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2021, 10:13 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Yet that's exactly what the right wing has been advocating from the beginning. Boris Johnson briefly considered it, then had a change of heart when he himself nearly died from Covid. It's absolute lunacy--the short & long term effects from Covid, even a mild version (and of course, you're playing Russian roulette here), are far worse than the side effects from a vaccine.

At some point, I say let Darwinism do its thing.
The Amish have taken the herd immunity approach you're panning here. Holmes County, Ohio (second-largest Amish community in the country) is 82 percent unvaccinated, and their population fatality rate from Covid (total number of deaths divided by total population) is 0.298 percent (Massachusetts' population fatality rate, for comparison, is 0.278 percent).

Those stupid Amish and their herd immunity! Darwin will make them pay! We're so much smarter than them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 10:32 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
The Amish have taken the herd immunity approach you're panning here. Holmes County, Ohio (second-largest Amish community in the country) is 82 percent unvaccinated, and their population fatality rate from Covid (total number of deaths divided by total population) is 0.298 percent (Massachusetts' population fatality rate, for comparison, is 0.278 percent).

Those stupid Amish and their herd immunity! Darwin will make them pay! We're so much smarter than them!
Assuming your stats are correct, the Amish are also a notoriously isolated community. So again--scientific method--you need to control for factors! At a very large scale, that was the same strategy pursued by ANZ, China, and many other Asian countries, and it worked for a long time.

I stand with most rational people on this: herd immunity by letting a deadly disease (or at least, one proven to do lung damage) run rampant is stupid at best, murderous at worst.

Old 11-14-2021, 10:36 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
You believe that someone who has contracted the virus and recovered from it has inferior immunity to someone who has had the vaccine and never had the virus? Why? Do you also believe someone who has already had the flu and recovered from it is more vulnerable to infection during a given flu season than someone who has had a flu shot but not had the flu?
I believe this is a red herring.

The research has repeatedly demonstrated that those have contracted the virus and recovered are better protected with the vaccine in addition to their "natural immunity", so having the virus previously is in no way, shape or form a justification to not get the vaccine.

Old 11-14-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I believe this is a red herring.

The research has repeatedly demonstrated that those have contracted the virus and recovered are better protected with the vaccine in addition to their "natural immunity", so having the virus previously is in no way, shape or form a justification to not get the vaccine.
It's not only not a red herring, it's not even an argument.

It's a set of two simple questions. Here, I'll copy and paste it again:

You believe that someone who has contracted the virus and recovered from it has inferior immunity to someone who has had the vaccine and never had the virus? Why? Do you also believe someone who has already had the flu and recovered from it is more vulnerable to infection during a given flu season than someone who has had a flu shot but not had the flu?

My answers to these two questions are: 1) no, and 2) no. What are yours?

Old 11-14-2021, 10:45 AM

12,470 posts, read 9,550,156 times
I don't understand the whole "protect yourself from a disease by acquiring the disease" strategy. I mean, if you have to run the course of disease to get your protection, then you've already exposed yourself to all the risks, so what did you exactly gain? And why don't Republicans try to acquire e.g. Hepatitis C, polio and smallpox while they're at it? No sense in getting a vaccine when you can just get the disease, right?

Old 11-14-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:

My answer is that these are the absolutely the incorrect questions to be asking.

The correct questions are:

Does someone who has contracted covid and recovered benefit immunity wise from receiving the vaccine as well?

The answer is yes, the research is overwhelmingly clear on this. So, get the vaccine.

Re the flu, the correct question is does someone who had the flu and recovered also benefit from receiving the flu shot?

I don't know the answer to that as I've not reviewed the research. So, I won't answer it.

Asking the incorrect questions is a way to sidetrack important conversations, and, I will not be a party to playing stupid games with people's lives.

Old 11-14-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Therein lies the fundamental problem. It doesn't matter what you "believe". It's what do scientific, peer-reviewed studies with controls, tell us?

Revenge of the "C" students, at its finest.

Old 11-14-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
My answer is that these are the absolutely the incorrect questions to be asking.

The correct questions are:

Does someone who has contracted covid and recovered benefit immunity wise from receiving the vaccine as well?

The answer is yes, the research is overwhelmingly clear on this. So, get the vaccine.

Re the flu, the correct question is does someone who had the flu and recovered also benefit from receiving the flu shot?

I don't know the answer to that as I've not reviewed the research. So, I won't answer it.

Asking the incorrect questions is a way to sidetrack important conversations, and, I will not be a party to playing stupid games with people's lives.
I will. The answer's no. That's why no one goes out and gets a flu shot after they've had the flu.

Old 11-14-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I don't understand the whole "protect yourself from a disease by acquiring the disease" strategy. I mean, if you have to run the course of disease to get your protection, then you've already exposed yourself to all the risks, so what did you exactly gain? And why don't Republicans try to acquire e.g. Hepatitis C, polio and smallpox while they're at it? No sense in getting a vaccine when you can just get the disease, right?
Bingo. Darwinism, let's go! (But then again...a lot of these jokers are creationists, so it's a double whammy)

Old 11-14-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I will. The answer's no.
Citation of a peer reviewed study that has shown this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts