Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2021, 11:00 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,980,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Citation of a peer reviewed study that has shown this?
I have none; how many do you have showing that the answer is yes?

And if you have one or more such studies, do you or anyone you know personally go out and get a flu shot for "additional protection" after getting the flu? If not, why not? Don't you "trust the science?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 11:01 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post

And if you have one or more such studies, do you or anyone you know personally go out and get a flu shot for "additional protection" after getting the flu? If not, why not? Don't you "trust the science?"
I get a flu shot every year regardless.

Old 11-14-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Great. I don't. Neither is relevant here.

Old 11-14-2021, 11:06 AM

12,451 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I always get a flu shot. And some people say "Why bother, it's only about 60% effective", and while I can understand that perspective, I don't think it's well-considered. For me it's "Am I better off (statistically) if I do this? Yes. Okay, then let's do it."

Old 11-14-2021, 11:10 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:

I didn't answer yes. I said I haven't reviewed the research so I won't answer. Why would I answer something that I've not reviewed the research on? That would be idiotic.

You decided to answer definitely despite not having any reason to do so, except "beliefs".

I haven't had the flu since flu shots became available. So I haven't been faced with the decision.

Quote:
Great. I don't. Neither is relevant here.
It's absolutely relevant. If you get the flu shot before flu season, you can't be faced with the decision to get it after the getting the flu. You already have gotten it.

Old 11-14-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I didn't answer yes. I said I haven't reviewed the research so I won't answer. Why would I answer something that I've not reviewed the research on? That would be idiotic.

You decided to answer definitely despite not having any reason to do so, except "beliefs".

I haven't had the flu since flu shots became available. So I haven't been faced with the decision.

It's absolutely relevant. If you get the flu shot before flu season, you can't be faced with the decision to get it after the getting the flu. You already have gotten it.
That's what human beings do, timberline742. We're not doing science; this is a discussion forum. I'm openly sharing my priors with you, and you're hiding yours (under the guise of "not having reviewed the research"), because you think agreeing with me on anything will weaken your overall position in favor of these vaccines, other Covid interventions, etc.

Since you're not going to be open, and since the Browns and Patriots are playing, this discussion is over. Take care.

Old 11-14-2021, 11:24 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
That's what human beings do, timberline742. We're not doing science; this is a discussion forum. I'm openly sharing my priors with you, and you're hiding yours (under the guise of "not having reviewed the research"), because you think agreeing with me on anything will weaken your overall position in favor of these vaccines, other Covid interventions, etc.

Since you're not going to be open, and since the Browns and Patriots are playing, this discussion is over. Take care.

That is not what "human beings do", it is what "ignorant human beings" do.

We're discussing science. I went to school for science. I don't make definitive statements on science I've not reviewed. It's not "hiding". It's not being an idiot and not wanting to promote misinformation.

It's perfectly reasonable, and indeed, wise, to say: "I don't know" when I don't actually know.

It's extremely stupid to say "yes" or "no" to something based on what I want or believe to to be true, without any evidence.

Old 11-14-2021, 01:43 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,416,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Austria just put all of their non-vaccinated people in lockdown. You can leave your house to get vaccinated, to go to work (wearing a mask), or food shopping.
This is worth thinking about. I wouldn't normally call anything "un-American" but my instinctive response was to say, "Oh no, we couldn't do that here." Everyone should get vaccinated, but we have to do it voluntarily, at least as far as governments are concerned. Employers might demand it and I'm not sure that I like that idea either, though if I were working side by side with someone, then yes, I would feel better if they'd been immunized (and I'd do the same for them).

Sometimes it's tough being a liberal. You want people to do the right thing, but being in a free society is valuable too.

Old 11-14-2021, 02:00 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:

Yes I would. The annual flu shot is based on an educated guess on what strains of the flu will be dominant during the season. It does not protect against all flu strains. Thus I'd like to get protection against others.

Old 11-14-2021, 10:01 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,651,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I always get a flu shot. And some people say "Why bother, it's only about 60% effective", and while I can understand that perspective, I don't think it's well-considered. For me it's "Am I better off (statistically) if I do this? Yes. Okay, then let's do it."
The ironic part is essentially everyone I know who got the flu shot doesn't get it anymore. The reason is the year they got it, within 2 weeks was the most sick they have ever gotten. Now before you dismiss this it isn't from some anti-vax people, it is from about 30 to 40 people that have mentioned it to me. They took it one year got sick, never took again and are fine.

Personally, I never got it cause I don't think its necessary and thought it was a scam. Do people really get the flu or sick for multiple days in a row every year? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts