Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2021, 07:55 PM

17,759 posts, read 9,208,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Honestly I don’t think people are going to have their young ones lined up for this shot the way I thought they would. I talked to a pharmacist the other night who said her kids aren’t getting it right away. She said at this point she doesn’t see the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'll get the kiddo's vaccinated, just not yet. I delayed my own shot and will likely hold for a bit with the kids. I just prefer to let others go first and sit back and observe.
I heard only 27% plan to get their kids vaccinated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 07:10 AM

16,417 posts, read 8,223,904 times
The pharmacist I spoke to said she hasnt gotten her kids the flu shot either. I'm not making my decisions based on what other people are doing...but it's interesting to hear what others (non idiots) are doing.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:27 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Only 2 of 3 kiddo's have had their flu shots. Scheduling issues really. My wife hasn't gotten hers either, but I got mine a while ago. Only reason I got it so soon is because my work brings someone in to give them out. If it wasn't that convenient, I probably wouldn't have mine yet either. Less about the shot, more about me just being lazy.

Technically while i might qualify for the Covid booster, i'm going to hold a little bit longer just to time it with the middle of winter. With numbers in MA leveling and dropping, and myself not really in high risk environments, it's not something that i feel is critical to do just yet. I think i'm only 5 months out from my 2nd dose anyway.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:47 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,969 times
Well, *some* Massachusetts parents must be getting their kids vaccinated as, according to the MA Vaccine Hunters FB group, there are no open appointments available anywhere for kids. Unless distribution of supplies are behind or something.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:54 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Well, *some* Massachusetts parents must be getting their kids vaccinated as, according to the MA Vaccine Hunters FB group, there are no open appointments available anywhere for kids. Unless distribution of supplies are behind or something.
Another reason to wait. I don't want to be that person who calls and can't get an appointment.

Covid rules for workers:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/v...124503548.html

Old 11-04-2021, 09:39 AM

779 posts, read 878,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Only 2 of 3 kiddo's have had their flu shots. Scheduling issues really. My wife hasn't gotten hers either, but I got mine a while ago. Only reason I got it so soon is because my work brings someone in to give them out. If it wasn't that convenient, I probably wouldn't have mine yet either. Less about the shot, more about me just being lazy.

Technically while i might qualify for the Covid booster, i'm going to hold a little bit longer just to time it with the middle of winter. With numbers in MA leveling and dropping, and myself not really in high risk environments, it's not something that i feel is critical to do just yet. I think i'm only 5 months out from my 2nd dose anyway.
I'm keeping an eye on flu cases this year...so far there is barely any flu out there. Last year there was basically no flu. Kids are still masked up in school, so I'm hoping that it keeps the flu spread to a minimum. I'm holding off on the flu shot unless cases start to pick up or unless the school mandates it, but so far that isn't the case.

I definitely will be keeping an eye on the kid vaccine data. I'm interested to see if myocarditis cases increase in young kids getting the vaccine. I know there is no immediate evidence that the vaccine has a negative effect on fertility, but I also know there are ongoing studies addressing this. As a parent to prepubescent girls, I would like more data around this. Given that my kids have no auto-immune disease, no issue that would put them at risk of suffering from complications from covid, I'm willing to take the (what I consider very minimal) risk and wait for more data in this age group.

Old 11-04-2021, 10:00 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,928,372 times
Quote:
Honestly I don’t think people are going to have their young ones lined up for this shot the way I thought they would. I talked to a pharmacist the other night who said her kids aren’t getting it right away. She said at this point she doesn’t see the point.

It’s just interesting how everyone in the world will have the choice to vaccinate their kids who are thought to be the super spreaders but adults can lose their job if they don’t get it.
Kids aren't super spreaders.
https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n628/rr

https://journals.lww.com/pidj/Fullte..._Intra.30.aspx

Also, the idea that "everyone has a choice" about vaccinating their kids is true in the same sense that everyone has a choice to get vaccinated. No one has (yet) proposed actual forced vaccination. It can be a condition of employment and other vaccinations have been a requirement for attendance of public school for at least as long as I've been alive. COVID vaccination is not yet a requirement for public school, but I suspect it will be at some point in the not-to-distant future.

From a practical point of view, the reason to get the 5-11 crowd vaccinated isn't so much for their safety, but because COVID protocols for unvaccinated kids are a lot stricter than for vaccinated kids. The evidence suggests that even for the 5-11 crowd there is so small net benefit to vaccination (i.e. the small benefit outweighs the even smaller risk), but getting out of the 2+ week COVID quarantines is, at least to this parent, a bigger and more tangible benefit.

Old 11-04-2021, 10:03 AM

There are no rules yet for the 5-11 crowd.

Old 11-04-2021, 10:06 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,928,372 times
Quote:
There are no rules yet for the 5-11 crowd.
So your district has no rules on close contacts? My district has rules on what happens for any close contact and they are very different depending on if the kid is vaccinated or unvaccinated.

Old 11-04-2021, 10:09 AM

How could they have rules for the 5 to 11 group yet ? The vaccine is barely out for them. I don’t know what the rules are for 12 and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts