Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 08:28 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
The real issue here I think is that people usually use their opinions to inform their evidence instead of evidence to inform their opinions. When scientific evidence agrees with what you think, science is great. When it is counter to what you think, the study is flawed or "we need more evidence".
very true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 08:32 AM

11,053 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Again, countries that are reopening schools have covid-19 under control. They are also requiring 6 feet of distance in the classroom (how does that work in the average classroom with 25 students on top of each other) and students wear masks (how does that work when parents here claim they can't wear them, much less teach their kids to wear them?). There's not much reason right now to think that the US will have it under control in the fall given our actions right now. Germany, for instance, has reopened schools for older students but they have incredibly widespread testing and less than 1000 people per day are being diagnosed in a country of 83 million.

I lived in Georgia for 18 years but it would be weird to post about my negative opinion about how they're handling coronavirus, even though my best friend is an ICU nurse in their biggest hospital and my parents still live there. Knowing that they'd mishandle big issues was one of the reasons why I left, I just didn't anticipate mishandling such a crisis on such a huge level.
Maybe I didn't explain my point clearly enough. Even if Europe has it currently more under control, why would it not just come back when the students go back (in some areas of some countries they have already been back for 2 weeks)? The lockdowns aren't designed to eliminate the virus in the first place. I'm just saying that they have experts and science to back up their procedure, and from what I can tell, it's not based solely on the notion that they have it under control overall, but that children are not at much risk. I hope maybe that clarifies.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:33 AM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Schools are community settings.

And even though schools were the first to get shut down, I'd argue that every state waited too long to shut them down...and, if it had been done sooner, the total number of deaths would be a fraction of what it is.

We can't simply focus on the small amount of kids that have died and then conclude that it's not a major issue. The kids were bringing it home and infecting their families.
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
This is pure speculation. I've yet to see any studies or data that remotely support this. However there have been a few that show zero evidence of children spreading this virus to their parents.

I agree shutting schools was a prudent move at the time, but what you are posting is just not supported in any way at this point.
As I said in post #2688:

"I don't think the transmission of this virus can ever be definitively pinpointed."

So saying there is zero evidence is not a valid argument.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
saying there is zero evidence is not a valid argument.
Seems more valid than putting completely unsupported statements in bold and restating them.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:52 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
My life has improved greatly being home in Cleveland, thank you for your concern.
Not putting Ohio down, I have family near Cincy but have you seen this
https://www.cleveland.com/coronaviru...se-report.html

The midwest is going to create new hotspots. If the midwest opens up and people show up from other areas the corona will flow to the midwest. In S. Korea one guy went bar hopping and gave it to hundreds...

With respect to science. Science doesn't care what people think or do. I don't care if someone has a belief in God or not but at the end of the day things like viruses and bacteria do exist. Do I like brushing my teeth? No not exactly but I do it because if I don't I run the risk of dental bills, ugly teeth and o yeah cavities. Do I like washing my hands? Again no not really but I know what happens if you don't. Take a serve safe class and you learn everything about food practices.

Here is an honest website about masks.

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...aterial-covid/

when you talk about blocking particles it depends on what you are blocking and how big it is. Just because something blocks particles doesn't mean it is really breathable.

The younger kids are the harder it is going to be to get them to have six feet from each other. I can't imagine a day care reopening in another six weeks trying this with 30 kids. It's just impossible. It isn't a science issue it's just a logistical one.

We shouldn't debate science here but we can debate the accommodations and what we can do to mitigate this. Maybe building code and health code simply adopt this as part of operations. I'd hate to put it that way but until there's herd immunity or a vaccine I don't think any building code commissioner or fire dept would allow for hundreds of people at a concert.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:06 AM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
I'm going to guess that a few members here really want to get their kids out of the house.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:12 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Yes we do want our kids lives to safely resume. I can’t imagine school not starting in the fall. It won’t be a healthy situation if kids go the next 7 months with no structure of school. If they don’t open in the fall what next? They open in January when this thing is probably resurging?

Old 05-13-2020, 09:12 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
I'm going to guess that a few members here really want to get their kids out of the house.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:16 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
The children issue is a difficult one. This is an interesting article that discusses both sides. As someone who has been on the conservative side from the onset, I think that the data as whole indicates that children are less susceptible and a lower transmission risk, but lots of caveats around that data.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01354-0

On a positive note, we will have real data soon following the opening of schools in Europe.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:16 AM

I pulled my kids from school before it was closed and they have thrived during remote learning. However, I also realize how the social and emotional component of education is. So yeah, I don't want schools closed in the fall without hard justification. If everything else is coming back, schools should be a priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts