Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 03:27 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Dr. Fauci is the world's leading expert on infectious diseases. I will take his opinon over yours any day, bud.
It’s the problem with the internet. Any crackpot can put up a YouTube clip claiming any whacky conspiracy theory and the people who lack capacity for critical thought give it equal weight to true subject matter experts. It’s really dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Now, I think it's entirely fair to debate the impacts to health and long term outcomes which an extended school/daycare closure would create. Reducing my average nights sleep down to 3-4 hours for months is certainly doing me few favors in terms of physical and mental health and for school aged children it is most certainly impacting their long term outcomes as it exacerbates the parental divide.
I’m trying to understand how having children at home constantly causes you to only get 3-4 hours of sleep? From content, this isn’t crying infants. I presume children sleep 10+ hours?

Old 05-13-2020, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Did you watch the video of him saying we do not need to wear masks. this is coming from him. he flipped flopped on his opinion.

you missed the point.
So you’ve never gotten something wrong in your life, acknowledged it, and moved on?

With masks, my take is that they were trying to stop people hoarding vital PPE needed by health care workers. In a perfect universe, every person in the country would have a box of 100 N95 masks but those come from China and have been in short supply.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:18 AM

11,054 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
It wasn’t that hard to find.

Up to now, the flu is considerably more deadly than Covid among children. We are approaching 100k deaths, so the incredibly low number of children’s deaths is likely meaningful and not just a fluke. Children don’t seem to get sick, or require hospitalization, or die at rates that would warrant schools remaining closed indefinitely. The likelier bigger concern is children spreading the disease. There is limited data, but one study I posted earlier (https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...095-X/fulltext) suggests that closing just schools is unsupported by the evidence.
100%. I think closing schools was probably a mistake.

I really am struggling to understand why everyone here is only open to "bad news". I think I could probably make something up completely, describing some sinister and excruciating side effect of Covid 19 that only appears 3 months after you get it, and people here would respond very uncritically. Hey we just don't know enough, it could be true! No data! Your guess is as good as mine, as long as its apocalyptic.

A poster said earlier one thing is clear, it isnt the flu. Correct, where children are concerned, the flu is MUCH more dangerous by orders of magnitude. But for some reason, pure speculation, complete unwillingness to believe anything else, and crippling pessimism is more important than science.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 05-13-2020 at 05:22 AM..

Old 05-13-2020, 04:34 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
It's not the likelier bigger concern, it IS the bigger concern - Baker has been very transparent about this along with any other semi-competent leader. They do not want children becoming the primary vector of transmission, endangering both family members and staff.

Now, I think it's entirely fair to debate the impacts to health and long term outcomes which an extended school/daycare closure would create. Reducing my average nights sleep down to 3-4 hours for months is certainly doing me few favors in terms of physical and mental health and for school aged children it is most certainly impacting their long term outcomes as it exacerbates the parental divide.
I understand that's the idea, but there isn't a ton of evidence to support the idea that schools are the primary vector of transmission. And the evidence that I can find actually refutes the idea.. I know "abundance of caution" usually wins the day, but at some point you have to say the benefit of opening schools is worth the risk. I doubt we'll all agree on what that trade-off is, but at this point I think it's worth discussing the fact that there is a trade-off and that it should be assessed and dealt with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
But that article fails to recognize this - https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/86393
Two deaths. Both are tragedies, but somewhere in this whole mess you've lost sight of the significance of extremely rare complications. An order of magnitude more kids have died from the flu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m trying to understand how having children at home constantly causes you to only get 3-4 hours of sleep? From content, this isn’t crying infants. I presume children sleep 10+ hours?
I don't know about him, but for me, having two kids that need near-constant supervision (4 + 6) combined with two parents who can still work full time jobs from home, there really aren't enough hours in the day.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:29 AM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
As I said nearly a thousand posts ago:

"There's a reason why schools were the first to close."

Old 05-13-2020, 05:33 AM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Regarding PMIS (Pediatric Multi-system Inflammatory Syndrome), it may be too early to determine if it is rare. It doesn't show the same signs that COVID shows in adults, and it may have been going undiagnosed. The CDC will be issuing a nationwide alert about PMIS.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:34 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post

I don't know about him, but for me, having two kids that need near-constant supervision (4 + 6) combined with two parents who can still work full time jobs from home, there really aren't enough hours in the day.
This. Then add general overhead such as yard/ house maintenance, animals, slow networks, etc. and time becomes an even scarcer commodity.

I’m sure some can maintain a degree of productivity with toddler wrapped around their leg, but I cannot. I’m trying to create IP for complex systems design and, for me, this best done in a distraction free environment where I can get long blocks of uninterrupted time. These days, that’s 9pm to 3am. Afternoon hours are reserved for zoom calls, emails, and other low value activities.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
As I said nearly a thousand posts ago:

"There's a reason why schools were the first to close."
Yes. Everything is done for a reason.

The questions are about whether a) those were good reasons and b) if an additional 2 months has given us more perspective as to whether they are still good reasons and c) what are the conditions that would make it safe for schools to re-open and d) should those conditions be significantly different than other things?

https://www.economist.com/internatio...ens-inequality

Old 05-13-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Regarding PMIS (Pediatric Multi-system Inflammatory Syndrome), it may be too early to determine if it is rare. It doesn't show the same signs that COVID shows in adults, and it may have been going undiagnosed. The CDC will be issuing a nationwide alert about PMIS.
And what, people just didn't notice a bunch of kids dropping dead in all the other panic?

Here is the alert from NYS:
Quote:
PMIS is a rare condition. However, because it is life-threatening, it is important that parents know the signs and
symptoms, so they can get help right away.
I'm not saying not to be concerned, but the main takeaway is that children presenting symptoms need immediate medical care. The risk needs to be balanced against the negative effects of keeping kids out of school. I think the risk of increased transmission is almost certainly greater than the risk of PMIS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts