Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2020, 06:33 AM

779 posts, read 876,966 times

Advertisements

Yes, those of us who are working from home will need to continue to do so until there is a childcare solution. Everybody I know who is WFH has said their office won’t have them come in while schools/daycares/camps are closed. My office is the only one I know who is talking about having employees come back, but it will be in phases and those who need to stay home can.

I don’t see the daycare re-opening date moving up from 6/29, but I guess it could. It does seem like camps can open before then (our camp starting 6/22 is still happening as of now), so who knows.

Last edited by NewfieMama; 05-02-2020 at 06:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 06:47 AM

3,393 posts, read 1,547,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I don't think so right now but come a few months from now, perhaps.

I happened to notice that the number of "serious" cases on world-o-meter has dropped to 2%. Perhaps some treatments are working.

I believe the way out of this is the masks. The politicians can save face with that. They can claim the masks will work and if it is still spreading it is because people aren't using them. But everyone will be eased back to work.

But I believe the masks are just like a woobie. For the most part they don't really work.
People are talking about a vaccine but look at the flu they have a vaccine and yet 50 thousand die a year. A women in lexington took the flu shot year after year and she ended up dying of the flu. They have to guess on the strain of the flu because it mutates so often . I believe this will be the case with the corona vaccine and I will refuse to take it.

I think a pill of some kind is going to lower the death rate of this virus. One can only hope people need to have their kids go back to school this is insane.

Ya who knows the effectiveness of the masks. The n95's probably work and the surgical ones to a certain extent but these bandana ones or shirt masks are a fraud.

I Heard you are way more likely to get this virus inside then outside but i have not found the study yet and will look for it.

politicians dont want to backtrack either they have to double down because they would never admit that we did all this for nothing. Ya the masks will be a excuse to open things up.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:47 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,360 times
Well hopefully your employer will be understanding and realize people who have Kids are in a dilemma. I will say working from home while they’re there is no walk in the park but pretty sure people will have DSS at their door if they leave their young kids home and head to the office.

Hopefully camps will open. My kids isn’t until July and we have gotten two emails saying it’s possible they won’t open. This was before the order extended until 5/18. Maybe people thought it would be extended longer. Or maybe people are fearful since there’s been talk of schools not opening in the fall.

It feels inevitable at this point. They can’t just not open school. But If they do and a kid gets it then it seems likely anyone they’re in the classroom will get it too. Then it will be spread to their family members. It just feels like we’re all going to get this at some point. We are just prolonging this.

My husband spoke with a colleague yesterday who has coronavirus. His mother died recently and he thinks he got it from going to the hospital to see her over the past few months. He also gave it to his girlfriend. He said his only symptom was body aches and he is doing better.

I don’t want this thing really I don’t. But as we start to go back to normal life it’s going to spread.

Old 05-02-2020, 07:54 AM

875 posts, read 663,643 times
I posted this over a month ago and it is still valid. Let's not forget that the goal has been to prevent everyone getting COVID at the same time, not to stop everyone from contracting COVID.

The difficulty now is deciding and defining how we enter stage 3, without taking steps backwards. This will not be a one size fits all approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Very simplistically, there are 4 stages, many of which overlap/are in parallel.

1. Understand what/where it is and how bad - more testing, understand prevalence, incidence, hospitalization rate, mortality, treatment paradigms, demographics, recovery rate etc etc. And do whatever is needed in the meantime to shut it down/prevent spread until we understand this, aka 'flattening the curve'.

2. Expanding medical and testing capabilities. Everything from building stock of PPEs, to expanding and reducing turn around time for RT-PCR, to developing high throughput IgM/IgG antibody tests to detect previous exposure, to exploring efficacy of other anti-virals and other therapies

3. Test the population with some result test/risk group basis for returning to work/general population. Be prepared to shut down/isolate future geographic surges that will absolutely occur.

4. Develop a vaccine and vaccinate everyone - initial data supports low mutation which means greater durability and probability of success.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
People are talking about a vaccine but look at the flu they have a vaccine and yet 50 thousand die a year. A women in lexington took the flu shot year after year and she ended up dying of the flu. They have to guess on the strain of the flu because it mutates so often . I believe this will be the case with the corona vaccine and I will refuse to take it.
Do you also refuse to get a flu shot every year?

Old 05-02-2020, 08:14 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,360 times
I think it’s unfair at this point to expect everyone to go back into the world as they were before if they don’t want to. Some people who get corona will be ok. Others won’t be.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:33 AM

3,393 posts, read 1,547,174 times
Quote:
Do you also refuse to get a flu shot every year?
yes I dont need a flu shot. I am healthy and I boost my immune system through diet.

they have to guess on the strain of the flu shot. Its not very effective at all.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:36 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I think it’s unfair at this point to expect everyone to go back into the world as they were before if they don’t want to. Some people who get corona will be ok. Others won’t be.
Absolutely true.

A lot of people who "recover at home" are having a very bad time of it, even if they can "recover at home."It's largely only shortness of breath that brings people into the hospital.

My RN friend and her wife in Cambridge are having soaking fevers, massive exhaustion and weakness and headache. Yeah, no shortness of breath, so recovering from home. The exhaustion can go on for weeks or months. My friend apparently caught it from a geri psych patient, who likely got it from a care worker. The service was closed down. Three geri psych patients tested positive with no symptoms. Other staff were positive. The service was shut down and all were tested, which I gather is not the case everywhere.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
yes I dont need a flu shot. I am healthy and I boost my immune system through diet.

they have to guess on the strain of the flu shot. Its not very effective at all.
Good for you. No essential oils?

Old 05-02-2020, 08:44 AM

7,237 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Quote:
Good for you. No essential oils?
Vitamin D is far more effective than a flu shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts