Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2020, 04:37 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I don't see any practical difference between statutes that require to wear pants and those that require you to wear masks. Both restrict freedom and both can be argued to be entirely reasonable. Certainly wearing a mask outside in low density areas seems like overkill.

If the mask thing is making you chafe, I suspect you will long-term be much happier in a different state. Even long after the current crisis has passed. Somewhere like Wyoming or Montana or Alaska.
You have to take the weather into account. Acctually the rain bothers me more then the politics in Mass. I swear it rains here more then Seattle. though I never even visited there .I do not mind the snow though infact I would miss snow. Alaska way to cold and dark and I assume Montana is pretty damn cold.

I assume no matter what you believe I think most will agree Massechusetts has some pretty sucky weather. Though the fall is our best season if you ask me. What state would you like weather wise? It might be boring living with people who you always agree with.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 05-03-2020 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 06:02 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I have yet to see a runner with a mask on. And most of the runners I’m seeing out are young pretty girls who probably think they’re invincible. I haven’t seen any older people running lately. Maybe they’ve decided to give it a rest for a bit.
I got a laugh out of this. So I'm sure you had to run behind them for just a little while, to be absolutely sure they were or weren't wearing masks!

Old 05-03-2020, 06:07 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Yeah, it's a spectrum. Massachusetts isn't for everyone. I think a lot of the people who complain about Massachusetts would genuinely be happier somewhere else. Maybe Alaska or maybe just NH.
Yep, I can understand that, and both MA & NH have a wide range of people within their bounds, but if you want a liberal bias overall you can go for Eastern MA, and if you want a conservative bias overall, you can go for Central or Northern NH. There is definitely a difference on average.

Alaska is stunningly beautiful, but the winters there are going to be brutal. I went backpacking there for 3 weeks in Jul-Aug back in the late 1980s. Average daily high was about 50 degrees and we even got some snow on that trip, the Dall sheep were starting to turn white. That was the summer-fall transition. I couldn't enjoy the cold and dark of the dead of winter up there - would be too much for me.

Old 05-03-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yep, I can understand that, and both MA & NH have a wide range of people within their bounds, but if you want a liberal bias overall you can go for Eastern MA, and if you want a conservative bias overall, you can go for Central or Northern NH. There is definitely a difference on average.

Alaska is stunningly beautiful, but the winters there are going to be brutal. I went backpacking there for 3 weeks in Jul-Aug back in the late 1980s. Average daily high was about 50 degrees and we even got some snow on that trip, the Dall sheep were starting to turn white. That was the summer-fall transition. I couldn't enjoy the cold and dark of the dead of winter up there - would be too much for me.
Ya i saw videos of Alaska in the summer and it looks beatiful. It can be sunny out at 12 midnight there. The dark period I would think would give anyone depression. its months of darkness I think? ouch!

Old 05-03-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Ya i saw videos of Alaska in the summer and it looks beatiful. It can be sunny out at 12 midnight there. The dark period I would think would give anyone depression. its months of darkness I think? ouch!
Yeah, summer is awesome, when we went, up in Denali it was getting dark after 10pm, mebbe 10:30 (if I recall correctly) and it was never really pitch black - almost 24 hours of daylight, but winter is the mirror image, with almost 24 hours of darkness. Great place to see large animals like bear, dall sheep, mtn goats, caribou.. we saw all of those close up. It's a huuuuge state, and down by the panhandle near Juneau will be milder than up by Fairbanks, between the lower latitude and the warm (relatively) ocean. It's all well north of here though.

Old 05-03-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yeah, summer is awesome, when we went, up in Denali it was getting dark after 10pm, mebbe 10:30 (if I recall correctly) and it was never really pitch black - almost 24 hours of daylight, but winter is the mirror image, with almost 24 hours of darkness. Great place to see large animals like bear, dall sheep, mtn goats, caribou.. we saw all of those close up. It's a huuuuge state, and down by the panhandle near Juneau will be milder than up by Fairbanks, between the lower latitude and the warm (relatively) ocean. It's all well north of here though.
Did you see polar bears? I heard they are the most vicious and evil. They acctually hunt humans by hiding. I saw it on a video on barrow alaska they hide underneath porches ready for the kill!

in barrow its 20 dollars for toilet paper!! imagine how that would go over during corona virus!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP1OAm7Pzps

hand sanitizer is 15 dollars! did they know something we didnt ha ha.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 05-03-2020 at 07:27 PM..

Old 05-03-2020, 08:06 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I got a laugh out of this. So I'm sure you had to run behind them for just a little while, to be absolutely sure they were or weren't wearing masks!
Well I’m a woman who is married to man so no i didn’t do that. I just have noticed that there are lots of scantily clad younger women out for a run lately with no masks on. Good on them for getting exercise.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:27 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I have yet to see a runner with a mask on. And most of the runners I’m seeing out are young pretty girls who probably think they’re invincible. I haven’t seen any older people running lately. Maybe they’ve decided to give it a rest for a bit.
A young fit female runner has a greater chance of being killed by a motor vehicle while running than she does of dying from the Virus, that would qualify as effectively invincible in my book.

-----------------
As far as the broader issue of wearing a mask while running: I run around Riverway Park in Boston, and I Bike around the Charles river near Cambridge, Probably 35% of the runners I see wear masks. There are no cops out to enforce the mask policy, and I would just ignore them if one said anything to me (which is probably why police do not attempt to enforce it). I feel it is my civic duty to not wear a mask in public, to offset the panic imagery of a large number of people wearing masks. IMO the quarantines *may* have helped some parts of the Country avert a crisis, but that potential crisis period ended at least a week ago. This virus is not going to magically disappear, it is best everyone now go about their regular lives so we can develop herd immunity. If you are high risk due to age or medical condition (or you live with such a person), then it is your responsibility to quarantine yourself, it isn't the responsibility of the 90% of society not at risk to isolate themselves and cripple themselves financially to accommodate the 10% of society that is at risk.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Did you see polar bears? I heard they are the most vicious and evil. They acctually hunt humans by hiding. I saw it on a video on barrow alaska they hide underneath porches ready for the kill!

in barrow its 20 dollars for toilet paper!! imagine how that would go over during corona virus!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP1OAm7Pzps

hand sanitizer is 15 dollars! did they know something we didnt ha ha.
No Polar Bears, but maybe a dozen Black Bears and Brown Bears,at distances from 150 to 15yards... and I got as close as 5 feet from a panicked Caribou that was hurtling down the same steep, narrow erosion gulley that I was carefully picking my way down - I could count the hairs on his muzzle as he went past! It was very lucky that he zigged at the last moment and went past me rather than running over me .

Jeez, the scalping up there is worse than down here! $20 for TP! But... supply chain is more difficult up there, even in normal times I guess...

Old 05-04-2020, 06:24 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
He might be right:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bos...tputType%3Damp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts