Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2020, 08:23 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Have to say I am not excited about the idea of going back to the office while being forced to wear a mask.
You get used to it. I’m going on week 3 or 4 of constant mask wearing at work. It does get easier.

The holdouts are the young folk. They haven’t made it mandatory, so a few people in their early 20s aren’t wearing one. I think that’s going to change shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I think I'm the only one on this forum who has been optimistic about keeping the 5/18 date. I feel like the mandatory masks were going to happen before we opened up nonessential businesses. So now that it's in place, I'm still hopeful about 5/18.
I’m feeling more confident about 5/18 if social distancing and masks are a thing. I don’t think things will go back to normal quite yet.

In talking with my wife, there a lot of things being discussed for the fall school season. Things like social distancing the students with them going on alternating days to reduce the number of kids in class, and making all kids wear masks. Essentially they are planning for this to drag out for quite some time, so there are some ideas on the table to try and get back to living while being safe. Crazy stuff. We are actually thinking of her taking the year off and homeschooling if it looks like some of these ideas being discussed actually might happen

Last edited by BostonMike7; 05-01-2020 at 08:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 08:31 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
You get used to it. I’m going on week 3 or 4 of constant mask wearing at work. It does get easier.

The holdouts are the young folk. They haven’t made it mandatory, so a few people in their early 20s aren’t wearing one. I think that’s going to change shortly.

I’m feeling more confident about 5/18 if social distancing and masks are a thing. I don’t think things will go back to normal quite yet.

In talking with my wife, there a lot of things being discussed for the fall school season. Things like social distancing the students with them going on alternating days to reduce the number of kids in class, and making all kids wear masks. Essentially they are planning for this to drag out for quite some time, so there are some ideas on the table to try and get back to living while being safe. Crazy stuff.
They have to come up with some solution on the childcare front if they plan to open stuff as early as 5/18. You can’t just shrug your shoulders and say “you can’t put your kid in daycare, but you need to go back to work”. I mean, they can, but it’s a terrible idea.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:53 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Here's the actual order: https://www.mass.gov/doc/may-1-2020-...rings/download

The outdoor part of it is a little toothless.
Thanks. I found it also, but it is such a PIA to locate primary sources when there is so much noise on the interweb. Why can't "journalists" just include such links in their articles as a matter of routine?

Generally agree about the outdoor part being toothless. (and I think that is a good thing) All you have to do to comply with the order is stay 6' away from other people, then you do not have to wear a mask outside. I suppose I am willing to go along with it 'IF' it gets gyms,restaurants, etc open sooner, (even though I do not think it will make any long term difference in the number of deaths). It is actually less burdensome than the ridiculous Brookline Health Dept Mandate that suggests you maintain a distance of 20'-25'. https://brooklinecovid19.com/face-coverings/

Old 05-01-2020, 10:15 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Default Ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
They have to come up with some solution on the childcare front if they plan to open stuff as early as 5/18. You can’t just shrug your shoulders and say “you can’t put your kid in daycare, but you need to go back to work”. I mean, they can, but it’s a terrible idea.
Agree that is pretty crappy.

I also don’t think things will be going completely back to normal on 5/18. There may be some businesses allowed to open. I don’t expect that on 5/18 it will be like any other work day with packed trains and rush hour traffic. Large gatherings are still going to be done for a while.

I also hate wearing a mask.

Last edited by Bridge781; 05-01-2020 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: K

Old 05-01-2020, 11:39 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
massechusetts here are some true patriots!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRrFIW3_w7M

for your viewing pleasure.

some brought guns inside their capital. disagree all you want but we might be close to a civil war. it brought a tear to my eye knowing how discusting it is for the people to let the goverment walk all over them and these people are protesting for their rights.

I will say violence is not the answer you have to attack their philosophy.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 05-02-2020 at 12:26 AM..

Old 05-02-2020, 05:20 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
some brought guns inside their capital. disagree all you want but we might be close to a civil war. it brought a tear to my eye knowing how discusting it is for the people to let the goverment walk all over them and these people are protesting for their rights.
I will say violence is not the answer you have to attack their philosophy.
I don't think so right now but come a few months from now, perhaps.

I happened to notice that the number of "serious" cases on world-o-meter has dropped to 2%. Perhaps some treatments are working.

I believe the way out of this is the masks. The politicians can save face with that. They can claim the masks will work and if it is still spreading it is because people aren't using them. But everyone will be eased back to work.

But I believe the masks are just like a woobie. For the most part they don't really work.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:05 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
ICE detainees refuse COVID-19 testing, ‘trash unit’ at Bristol County jail

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...l-county-jail/

"DARTMOUTH, Mass. (WPRI) — A group of ICE detainees caused $25,000 worth of damage to a housing unit at the C. Carlos Carreiro Immigration Detention Center Friday night after refusing to get tested for COVID-19, according to the Bristol County Sheriff’s Office.
Sheriff Thomas Hodgson said 10 detainees reported having at least two symptoms of the viral disease to medical personnel. After being told they were required to get tested, Hodgson said the group rushed violently at him and correctional officers, barricaded themselves inside the unit, then started breaking windows and ripping washing machines and pipes off the wall."

Old 05-02-2020, 06:06 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Agree that is pretty crappy.

I also don’t think things will be going completely back to normal on 5/18. There may be some businesses allowed to open. I don’t expect that on 5/18 it will be like any other work day with packed trains and rush hour traffic. Large gatherings are still going to be done for a while.

I also hate wearing a mask.
It's one thing to put parents in a bind, which they feel forced to do because "common sense" suggests kids are super spreaders despite the available, albeit very sparse, literature suggests schools aren't worse offenders than other activities. Schools are easy to close and teachers are hard to upset. My problem is that no one in the Governor's office seems to think that this is at least a concern worth addressing. What's the plan, exactly?

Old 05-02-2020, 06:23 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I have a feeling that Daycare will be allowed to be reopen on 5/18. Schools will remain closed though, the Teachers Union has too much pull.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:25 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
I think work places are going to have to allow people with kids to work from home.

My workplace is thankfully able to see beyond just wanting to open back up on 5/18, they seem to have plans to keep everyone remote for a while. There is a lab they are working towards reopening safely. But they seem reluctant to open anything else and make people come in on the train, worry about being a certain distance apart, they don’t think it makes sense to sit there all day in a mask. Then yes there’s the childcare thing.

So if daycares open will some employers expect people to send their 4th graders to a daycare? I’m still not convinced the city/state will be opening on 5/18. Part of it maybe.

Last edited by Bridge781; 05-02-2020 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts