Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2020, 05:15 PM

9,096 posts, read 6,317,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I haven't understood why curfews are ordered in a public health situation, either. Are any bars or such still open?

Maybe the point is to have fewer, if any people around and about on the streets, getting into accidents, needing medical attention, whatever, when there are fewer first responders available (said the retired night nurse).
I can't speak to the situation in Boston itself but I would imagine that outdoor populations are down to levels where a curfew would be an empty gesture. The roads and highways in the 495 area where I live and work are at such low levels of activity which I have never seen, so I have to believe Boston proper is down as well.

Anyway I have always thought curfews targeted times of social unrest where rioting and unruly crowds are expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 05:16 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post

Anyway I have always thought curfews targeted times of social unrest where rioting and unruly crowds are expected.
I guess that's it but it's unusual to have bars and restaurants all closed down before a curfew is decreed. Is all of the Boston area shut down?

Old 04-05-2020, 05:19 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
I guess that's it but it's unusual to have bars and restaurants all closed down before a curfew is decreed. Is all of the Boston area shut down?
Perhaps that is a hint that the vast majority of new cases are being in and around Boston.

Old 04-05-2020, 05:20 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Perhaps that is a hint that the vast majority of new cases are being around in and around Boston.
Huh???

Old 04-05-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I would presume so. Personally I have not been south of Andover since August of 2019 so I can't answer for certain.

Old 04-05-2020, 05:27 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
What is the point of a 9pm to 6am curfew? Do viruses only spread a night?
I actually think it's a good idea. Nothing is open (besides some takeout restaurants). This will stop people from congregating on the streets. They should be home.

Apparently about half the population still isn't taking this seriously or practicing social distancing.

In RI, the governor is getting so frustrated with people not complying that she said she'll shut down everything if the non-compliance continues.

Old 04-05-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I actually think it's a good idea. Nothing is open (besides some takeout restaurants). This will stop people from congregating on the streets. They should be home.

Apparently about half the population still isn't taking this seriously or practicing social distancing.

In RI, the governor is getting so frustrated with people not complying that she said she'll shut down everything if the non-compliance continues.
I still don't see how prohibiting people from being outside at night will help with the virus if the days are not also restricted. If people are showing a tendency to congregate they will do it day or night.

Old 04-05-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I still don't see how prohibiting people from being outside at night will help with the virus if the days are not also restricted. If people are showing a tendency to congregate they will do it day or night.
I don't think it could be enforced at all during the day. Lots of people are still working at non-retail places. People need to go to the grocery store, pharmacy, etc. People need to run errands for older relatives. Plenty of reasons to be out during the day, but none of that is necessary at night.

Old 04-05-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I don't think it could be enforced at all during the day. Lots of people are still working at non-retail places. People need to go to the grocery store, pharmacy, etc. People need to run errands for older relatives. Plenty of reasons to be out during the day, but none of that is necessary at night.
The bold is wrong. Some people still work at night and families with small children may need to buy things at a convenience store or grocery store as night falls from time to time; among other scenarios that I can't think of at the moment.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
The bold is wrong. Some people still work at night and families with small children may need to buy things at a convenience store or grocery store as night falls from time to time; among other scenarios that I can't think of at the moment.
The curfew doesn't apply to essential workers.

It's far from a perfect solution, but it will definitely help to prevent the spread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts