Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2020, 08:31 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm curious about who they laid off. Many colleges lay off many of their dining and facilities workers each summer - were those counted? I know summer programs are also likely facing layoffs.

Were these 1600 layoffs the same 1600 non-federally supported part time student workers who were laid off last week? https://www.bu.edu/articles/2020/cor...te-04-06-2020/
Well this gets interesting.

"BU has formally laid off 1,636 students from non–federally funded part-time jobs who are unable to perform their jobs remotely because of the nature of the work. These include reception work, jobs at FitRec, office support, dining halls, work at events, and the like. But the layoffs, which included two weeks of pay, apply only to that group, whose jobs were typically funded by BU. "

If they had plenty of endowment money then why have any layoffs? Obviously there's no professors or administrators here but that's exactly my point. They wouldn't be doing this unless they were anticipating students wouldn't be coming back. I have bloomberg news service on in the background and they were talking about retail. Many are furloughed so they'll be offered the jobs back once the OK is given but they asked would customers return. Likewise with higher education it's been moving online over the past 23 or so years.

People make budget cuts when they need more money to pay for operations. You lose your job then you stop going out to eat, cut back on driving, cut going out to the movies etc. There's a difference between a furlough and a layoff. Layoffs mean they aren't coming back. You have to ask yourself is it really saving that much for the next few months. It's April, it's about eight weeks in academia. I think we can infer that academia is anticipating that it does not open in September. The call for this should be made sometime in July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 08:42 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

"BU has formally laid off 1,636 students from non–federally funded part-time jobs who are unable to perform their jobs remotely because of the nature of the work. These include reception work, jobs at FitRec, office support, dining halls, work at events, and the like. But the layoffs, which included two weeks of pay, apply only to that group, whose jobs were typically funded by BU. "

If they had plenty of endowment money then why have any layoffs?
One has absolutely nothing to do with the other. First of all, these jobs are no longer needed, and can't be done remotely, since all of those campus facilities have been shut down. Second, those students are more than likely long gone from campus, except for the rare instance where they had off-campus housing and were not able to return to their families for any reason (travel freeze, international constraints, etc.). And please note that these were not "work study" jobs, which are need-based...so those students are being paid despite not working.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:54 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
I worked a similar role when I was in college. These are more akin to a summer job for a teenager. I managed the pool hall when I was living on campus, and received pay and a tuition credit.

The fact that these positions are cut doesn't really surprise me. Most students are probably in the process (of they haven't already) of moving home, and there really isn't a need for the school to continue to pay someone who manages the on-campus coffee shop when these jobs typically only last a semester anyway.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:54 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:

If they had plenty of endowment money then why have any layoffs? Obviously there's no professors or administrators here but that's exactly my point. They wouldn't be doing this unless they were anticipating students wouldn't be coming back. I have bloomberg news service on in the background and they were talking about retail. Many are furloughed so they'll be offered the jobs back once the OK is given but they asked would customers return. Likewise with higher education it's been moving online over the past 23 or so years.

People make budget cuts when they need more money to pay for operations. You lose your job then you stop going out to eat, cut back on driving, cut going out to the movies etc. There's a difference between a furlough and a layoff. Layoffs mean they aren't coming back. You have to ask yourself is it really saving that much for the next few months. It's April, it's about eight weeks in academia. I think we can infer that academia is anticipating that it does not open in September. The call for this should be made sometime in July.
A furlough doesn't make sense in the context of student employment. Many of those students would be leaving in May anyway - either graduating, summer internships, summer job at home, etc. Most colleges operate on a skeleton student crew over the summer. Effectively, most colleges "lay off" the bulk of their student staff each summer. Most of that is by choice but some students would likely have preferred to continue their job through the summer, there was just no need. That's also true of dining staff and many academic department staffs.

I certainly think BU should have paid the students based on the average of hours worked over the past semester, but BU also is out a ton of money room & board refunds and shipping student's belongings home to them, not to mention lost revenue from research and space rentals. I would assume they're expecting no study abroad next year and limited events, even if everything else is back to normal. BU's study abroad programs bring in people from other universities and is a big moneymaker for the university.

It's too early to say yet what will happen in the fall. My university is preparing for some or all students to be working remotely come September. We also offered acceptances with geography in mind - more local students were accepted than in years past with the idea that parents might not feel comfortable sending their student far away.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:02 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,191 times
I work in higher ed and right now and schools don’t know what to do or plan. The division I work in offers just online courses so we are doing ok right now if anything we have more interest. If people shunned online courses before they’re realizing that it might be all they can offer now.

I don’t think we’re retuning to normal anytime soon. There will need to be new normal. Even if a vaccine comes out soon it won’t necessarily be perfect and won’t help someone if they get this. Someone like my mother in law will likely die If she gets this. It doesn’t seem feasible that everyone stays inside for the next 6 months but I can’t foresee everyone returning to normal life even two months for now. I’ll be scared whenever my kids go back to school.

Last edited by Bridge781; 04-07-2020 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: M

Old 04-07-2020, 09:06 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
So if you are a senior in College, set to graduate this May, what is your outlook? Are you receiving full credit for the last 3 months? IS there now an asterisk on your diploma? Or are they going to be asked to complete the missed work, or any project capstones that usually take place the final semester?

If you don't receive credit, are colleges giving refunds?

Old 04-07-2020, 09:12 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
So if you are a senior in College, set to graduate this May, what is your outlook? Are you receiving full credit for the last 3 months? IS there now an asterisk on your diploma? Or are they going to be asked to complete the missed work, or any project capstones that usually take place the final semester?
Of the situations with which I am familiar, courses are being completed online with much leeway, professors will not fail anyone and most students will graduate as planned if they have otherwise met their requirements. There will not be any asterisks on diplomas.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:26 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:

If they had plenty of endowment money then why have any layoffs?
Obviously there's no professors or administrators here but that's exactly my point. They wouldn't be doing this unless they were anticipating students wouldn't be coming back. I have bloomberg news service on in the background and they were talking about retail. Many are furloughed so they'll be offered the jobs back once the OK is given but they asked would customers return. Likewise with higher education it's been moving online over the past 23 or so years.

Endowment money can't be spent on whatever a school would like to spend it on. The overwhelming majority of it is in dedicated gifts. Those gift terms are usually rather strict. During the last recession the U I worked for had what was colloquially called an 'endowment liberation' team... a group that reached out to those that gave gifts to try to liberalize their gift terms to give the school flexibility.

Especially now, with the market down, some funds may be underwater which means the income generated might not even be able to spent at all.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:51 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,191 times
I don’t think colleges are the institutions we should be most worried about now. Especially colleges in the Boston area. Plenty of other businesses will be closing first.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:10 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Endowment money can't be spent on whatever a school would like to spend it on. The overwhelming majority of it is in dedicated gifts. Those gift terms are usually rather strict. During the last recession the U I worked for had what was colloquially called an 'endowment liberation' team... a group that reached out to those that gave gifts to try to liberalize their gift terms to give the school flexibility.

Especially now, with the market down, some funds may be underwater which means the income generated might not even be able to spent at all.
Although I can understand that it still looks bad as this is the only school making headlines with this. I'm nothing saying these were work study programs. It wasn't that long ago I remember hearing about the huge UMass Amherst business wing being made and capital projects at Springfield College and how much Westfield State expanded. There's usually construction on a the average campus somewhere. The other issue is this. When the economy drops usually you see an increase in students to defer going to work. But with closed borders how much is this going to change? What percentage of a campus is international? If airlines shut down further what are the limits that people want to drive to attend higher ed? Boston isn't that hard to get to via Amtrak and Logan.

On a side note I now think the worst of it is in Greenfield on a per capita basis. About one in every 290 people have it but the death rate is 22% (14 out of 61). I'm sure that could be countered by looking at prexisting conditions but that is very high. When they say that average of 1.5% that's an average and there can be lower and higher amounts. When this ends I have to wonder if they might lower the medicare age to 60.

https://www.recorder.com/Greenfield-...ril-6-33739545
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts