Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2020, 03:48 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,548,545 times

Advertisements

Stay away from elevators. I had to yell at my mother for going into one today. I explained how the mask is not going to protect her. gloves are useless because you cant get the virus from touching it.

a person who worked with bioweapons in the military explained it how masks and gloves are useless. the virus particals are way to small for a mask to stop.

I would assume all elevators are contaminated.

I would also assume because there are so many people who are asymptomatic that someone of a age of 75 has the same chance to be asymptomatic as someone much younger but i could be wrong.

A elevator is a very bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 04:34 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
The whole misinformation about masks and not having enough masks seems fishy to me. They say something is better than nothing.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
The whole misinformation about masks and not having enough masks seems fishy to me. They say something is better than nothing.
it prevents you from touching your face. if you do touch your eyes or near your mouth the virus can enter.
but it wont stop the virus if someone is coughing or sneezing on you.

Doctors and nurses wear alot of protective gear and still get the virus.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:49 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post

a person who worked with bioweapons in the military explained it how masks and gloves are useless. the virus particals are way to small for a mask to stop.
That guy is an idiot then.

Mechanical sieving is not the only capture mechanism when it comes to particle filtration. In fact, the other mechanisms (impaction, electrostatic deposition, Brownian motion, interception) allow for the capture of particulates much smaller than pore diameter.

The N95s are rated to 95.0% efficiency at 0.3 micron, which is quite large. At that size, gravity will pulll the particle down to the ground. Aerosoled particles are much smaller, in the 10-100nm range. In having tested actual n95s in the past few weeks, the efficiency as you go smaller in particle size goes up, to nearly 100% as the other capture mechanisms come into play.

Of course, if the mask is not properly fitted particles can pass around the edges, but the statement being challenged was “too small for the mask to stop”

Last edited by BostonMike7; 04-07-2020 at 05:14 PM..

Old 04-07-2020, 04:55 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Well seems like a lot of hospital workers are still getting covid even though they should have the n95 masks by now.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Well seems like a lot of hospital workers are still getting covid even though they should have the n95 masks by now.
Too many variables, assumption and speculation. You assumed every worker infected had one and was fully protected. When my family received our Covid test, the doctors and nurses were only wearing surgical masks that were rather loose fitting. We simply don’t know the conditions that occurred to cause infection.

Again, the statement I was challenging was viruses passing through a mask.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:09 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,769,635 times
Quote:

Perhaps due to late deliveries or perhaps not every hospital is yet well equipped with them. That and touching any un-sanitized surface can do the job which I'd imagine staff in a busy ER don't always have the opportunity to check.

When I was a kid, I was once getting over a cold but still managed to visit my dentist. I remember my dentist wearing a medical mask while examining me. So even back then, the medical and scientific community believed in using masks to shield from germs. It is nothing new.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:11 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
For one thing, they don't have, simply do not have.
Also, they are getting a significant viral dose in providing care. Maybe one time wouldn't matter but over 12 hours of close work??

Old 04-07-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That guy is an idiot then.

Mechanical sieving is not the only capture mechanism when it comes to particle filtration. In fact, the other mechanisms (impaction, electrostatic deposition, Brownian motion, interception) allow for the capture of particulates much smaller than pore diameter.

The N95s are rated to 95.0% efficiency at 0.3 micron, which is quite large. At that size, gravity will pulll the particle down to the ground. Aerosoled particles are much smaller, in the 10-100nm range. In having tested actual n95s in the past few weeks, the efficiency as you go smaller in particle size goes up, to nearly 100% as the other capture mechanisms come into play.

Of course, if the mask is not properly fitted particles can pass around the edges, but the statement being challenged was “too small for the mask to stop”

Ya I would think a n95 gives some protection but I was thinking about the normal masks people are wearing like surgical masks.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 04-07-2020 at 05:41 PM..

Old 04-07-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Ya I would think a n95 gives some protection but I was thinking about the normal masks people are wearing.
Depends what they are made of. Most common materials we’ve tested have been below 50% efficiency. Off the top of my head a t-shirt was around 20%.

I believe the Intent was to reduce or stop large droplet transmission. For the general public, put something over your face. Better than nothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts