Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2020, 11:52 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,544,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Yes I’m seeing it in town Facebook pages. I guess I should stop looking because it’s pissing me off

I am working so I can’t go out right now. Plus it’s cold.
Deactivate facebook. Not worth the aggravation. Sometimes I think its facebook that has contributed to the nastiness and the division in this country. Get rid of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 11:54 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
How about fleeing Bostonians? They have money and are susceptible, too. Nantucket.
In my mind it is about degrees of selfishness. Nantucket is in the Boston region. New Yorkers are fleeing much further and infecting people from Maine to Florida. No doubt some Boston people might be doing the same but not to the degree of the New Yorkers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
As a resident of ME, I definitely don't want Bostonians coming up here. I don't even want people from the next county over coming here. STAY PUT people!
Ideally everyone would stay in their locales. My part-time weekend job is 18 miles from my house and it is deemed essential as it supports public safety. That is the furthest I have ventured from my home in the past three weeks. My weekday job went WFH and I generally stay put during the week except to replenish perishable food.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:54 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
As a resident of ME, I definitely don't want Bostonians coming up here. I don't even want people from the next county over coming here. STAY PUT people!

Why? If you get in your car, drive 3 or 4 hours to your vacation home, and self-quarantine for 14 days, you're not spreading plague. Between people I know around my Vermont place and my coastal Mass place, tons of people I know have done that. Most did it weeks ago when their employers went 100% telecommuting.

Yale-New Haven just started taking NYC overflow. The convention center in Hartford and Mohegan Sun are being set up for surge capacity. Should Connecticut refuse to take anyone from NYC? If Connecticut saturates their hospitals with this overflow, should Massachusetts and RI refuse to take patients?

Old 03-31-2020, 12:00 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yale-New Haven just started taking NYC overflow. The convention center in Hartford and Mohegan Sun are being set up for surge capacity. Should Connecticut refuse to take anyone from NYC? If Connecticut saturates their hospitals with this overflow, should Massachusetts and RI refuse to take patients?
Italy's military is flying patients from one part of the country to the other to alleviate the numbers in a particular region. I imagine at some point, they might start doing that here.

It's predictable to see people put up their walls when faced with such a situation. First it was countries isolating themselves, now states. Now we are seeing it with communities.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Why? If you get in your car, drive 3 or 4 hours to your vacation home, and self-quarantine for 14 days, you're not spreading plague.
How many people are doing that long of a drive non-stop with no bathroom, gas or food breaks? Furthermore I think you are underestimating how long it takes to get to some of these vacation areas if we're talking about NY/NJ/CT people. For Massachusetts people 3-4 hours is realistic for some vacation destinations.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:03 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Sometimes I think its facebook that has contributed to the nastiness and the division in this country.
I don't think there even is a question that this is the case, among many other negative effects if social media.

Much of the bunk "I heard" information in this very thread is surely regurgitation from Facebook et al.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:05 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Why? If you get in your car, drive 3 or 4 hours to your vacation home, and self-quarantine for 14 days, you're not spreading plague. Between people I know around my Vermont place and my coastal Mass place, tons of people I know have done that. Most did it weeks ago when their employers went 100% telecommuting.
If that's all they are doing then fine, AS LONG as they are not stopping for gas, running in the store to grab milk/or replenishing a few extra perishables to hold them over for the 2nd week, grabbing a coffee at DD, ordering pizza delivery, visiting the local hospital if they end up falling ill, etc. etc. How many do you think are REALLY taking that level of precautions???

Old 03-31-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
If that's all they are doing then fine, AS LONG as they are not stopping for gas, running in the store to grab milk/or replenishing a few extra perishables to hold them over for the 2nd week, grabbing a coffee at DD, ordering pizza delivery, visiting the local hospital if they end up falling ill, etc. etc. How many do you think are REALLY taking that level of precautions???
That's just it. What is the likelihood these vacation homes are going to be stocked with food and supplies when the winter has just ended? These people have to be shopping to last at least two weeks at that vacation house, which means they are spreading the virus!

Old 03-31-2020, 12:14 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
That's just it. What is the likelihood these vacation homes are going to be stocked with food and supplies when the winter has just ended? These people have to be shopping to last at least two weeks at that vacation house, which means they are spreading the virus!
I'm sure most of them would "tell you" they stocked up in NY or wherever and packed those coolers to the rim with a month's supply of food, but you know...

Old 03-31-2020, 12:35 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
I'm sure most of them would "tell you" they stocked up in NY or wherever and packed those coolers to the rim with a month's supply of food, but you know...

Why not? I moved a month's supply of food from my Killington place to my Massachusetts place a couple of weeks ago. 3 1/2 hours nonstop with the cruise control set at speed limit + 9 mph which is probably the fastest I've ever made the drive. I bought fuel in town using my iPhone application at a Cumberland Farms. I pushed the 87 button and held the pump with a paper towel. I haven't broken my 6 foot bubble in weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts