Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2020, 08:24 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
If 14% of those who test positive end up in the hospital for three weeks before being released or dying, we are filling an additional 100+ ICU beds every day and using more ventilators than we can spare.
I've seen some reports that the hospitalization rate may be as high as 20-25%.

1 of out 4 or 5 chance of needing medical assistance if you come down with this. Now imagining you can't breathe and you show up to a hospital and there are hundreds of people in front of you with the same symptoms, and no equipment to help you.

Of course, everyone thinks it always happens to someone else.

At the end of the day, people are going to complain. IF the US has 500,000 deaths, people will ***** that measures were undertaken slowly, or not good enough and wonder why more wasn't done. If the deaths end up being 80,000 people will ***** that this was all blown out of proportion. Never gonna win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 08:31 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
No one shut down the economy because of those so yes this is unprecedented.

The predictions are the problem. They are not coming true and yet this is not being pointed out. Fear and "predictions" are controlling us right now. Not logic and facts.

That is terrifying.
They did shut things down then.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/h...c-coronavirus/

https://www.nytimes.com/1918/10/04/a...sultPosition=2

Schools, churches, theaters etc. The vast majority of people that live through that time or probably dead by now. I had grandparents and great-grandparents they were born probably 10 years prior to that but they all passed.

Many predictions are coming true. I was watching The Who videos on this back in January and February. I knew about what was going on because I have a side hobby dealing with people in China. For much of January I didn't hear from anybody. Usually I start the day with five messages so to go from 5 to hardly anything is a big drop.

As I mentioned earlier if everybody hunker down for two to three weeks we could get this done in less than a month. However because we had such a global based economy with Supply chains all around the world and people that refuse to telecommute and insist that every single little thing must be done in person they are the ones that are really to blame. I'd hate to say it but some people at some places really have to stop pretending is if the 1990s is still going on. Everybody has internet access one way or another everybody has access to a computer on some level even a smartphone one way or another. We have phones and email and videos we can do quite a bit.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:40 AM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
... and people that refuse to telecommute and insist that every single little thing must be done in person they are the ones that are really to blame. I'd hate to say it but some people at some places really have to stop pretending is if the 1990s is still going on.
^^^Wouldn't the baby boomers be the bulk of that mindset? Gen Z wasn't even born in the 1990s and the Millenials were in childhood back then.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:55 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
I’ve started to see reports of worried about domestic violence cases increasing because of this. For many kids school was their safe place to be and imagine for some adults work was their place to be. Now they have to be home. Having 2 adults work from home and homeschool a bunch of kids is NOT a healthy situation for all. I guess some people have more patience than others but this is going to take a toll on people.

I’ve seen people who don’t have kids or who have grown kids seem to be gloatful that parents will now have to deal with their own kids education. Um the whole point of schools is to have help from teachers as not everyone was meant to be a teacher or teach in addition to doing their own job. There is literally no where to bring kids other than for a walk which people are getting shamed for.

Last edited by Bridge781; 03-31-2020 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: M

Old 03-31-2020, 09:03 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
I hope everyone enjoys the depression coming. ignore this now but when your suffering where you cant afford anything or get a job you will remember me. If this shutdown continues past april we will have a depression.

what any time there is a sickness we are going to shut buisnesses down?

this is authoritarian. this is not american.
Isn't this a bit like getting diagnosed with cancer and then pointing out how awful chemotherapy is? The options are bad and worse. I can't imagine shaving off 1.5-3% of the population would be good for the economy, either.

It's unfortunate people aren't having honest discussions about all the options and their related costs. People who absolutely make life-or-death economic decisions without really thinking about it (like choosing to drive 50 miles to work instead of taking a lower paying job nearby) seem unable or unwilling to address those some important questions when they're actually aware of the life-or-death nature of their decisions.

We could shut down the US every flu season. It would save lives. We don't because we value the economic and social benefits of being around people more than the number of lives we'd save. That we are shutting down everything now suggests that our leaders thing the economic damage is worth the number of lives we'll save. I think openly discussing those trade-offs is worthwhile even if I agree with the current order to shut down.

Even if we had perfect information about the risks (which we sort of do for things living driving and the flu), people are going to disagree about where to draw the line. Some will thing us too conservative, other too risky. With the current crisis we have the added problem of not accurately knowing the real risks. If nothing else, we should improve our assessment of the risks in the next month. That will hopefully allow us to better understand our options and make a decision.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:09 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Yes they did. Add if they willingly didn't shut it down, business fell off anyway.

In the '57 pandemic the GDP contracted 10% for a short period of time, and then recovered. It was a deeper plunge than the '08 crisis. It did bounce back quickly so the entire year ended up at -1% decline. The '57 Pandemic resulted in the loss of 2 million jobs at the time (population 177 million)

https://marginalrevolution.com/margi...recession.html

Most publications list the '57 flu as a partial reason for the recession, citing other areas where a bubble had been forming (boom years of the 50's post WW2). Similar parallels to today perhaps?

Another report detailing some of the loss of business productivity during the '18 pandemic. Businesses shut down and those that stayed open reported up to a 70% loss of business.

https://www.stlouisfed.org/~/media/f...port.pdf?la=en

Old 03-31-2020, 09:17 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Then they were utterly stupid but I imagine it was not on the scale it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell
... and people that refuse to telecommute and insist that every single little thing must be done in person they are the ones that are really to blame. I'd hate to say it but some people at some places really have to stop pretending is if the 1990s is still going on.
Well I do agree with that. I can't get over the stupidity of the older people i work with who are insisting on going to work for something that doesn't even contribute to the economy and straight up refuse to use tools that not only are user friendly but make it so there isn't anything that needs to be done differently - like zoom has a feature where you can change the background and make it look like you aren't home.

I am only in favor of people going back to work that need to.If you can get your job done at home.. do so.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:33 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
I see the cape is asking people to not go there. I mean I get it but how is that not selfish?

Old 03-31-2020, 10:01 AM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I see the cape is asking people to not go there. I mean I get it but how is that not selfish?
People should stay where they officially reside until this blows over unless they are in healthcare, public safety or the national guard and are needed to assist somewhere.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:02 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
How is it that you still don't have a clue about the situation and what needs to happen? Healthcare workers are pleading with people to stay home as an act of love for not causing more cases that healthcare people have to risk themselves and their patients to care for? There is minimal healthcare available on the Cape. A lot of seniors. So many asymptomatic positive people everywhere, but certainly in the Boston area.

What part of "selfish" isn't clear to you? I smack my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts