Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2021, 02:17 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
People could use the excuse that they are scared of getting the Rona to not look for a job?
And that has what to do with the price of tea in China???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 02:35 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Be careful. Not trying to minimize this but breakthrough infections are more common with the non-mRNA vaccines...which given that it's Singapore, is likely what those workers received.
No. Singapore has authorized only Pfizer and Moderna. These are not only breakthrough infections, but also onward transmission.

Old 05-16-2021, 02:44 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
You could say that pressuring Vaccine Lazy people to get the shot, knowing they will be soon be in close contact with tons of unvaccinated maskless people could work. I don't think that's what happened here though.

Old 05-16-2021, 03:39 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
No. Singapore has authorized only Pfizer and Moderna. These are not only breakthrough infections, but also onward transmission.
If that's the case...it's exceedingly rare. But not impossible.

Old 05-16-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
If that's the case...it's exceedingly rare. But not impossible.
At least in Singapore, with the India variant, it may not be that exceedingly rare. They have very few cases (up until this week mostly in the single digit community/not imported cases! here, the airport cluster would be tiny - but there it is a significant fraction of cases; also, according to the graphic from the channelnewsasia, as of May 11, 2/10 infected vaccinated individuals transmitted to close contacts outside of the airport; I would not consider that order of onward transmission exceedingly rare - and the cluster is still growing); this is with top-notch contact tracing that we just don't have here with our high community spread. Just to give you another idea of how careful with contact tracing they are there (and they have been since the start of the pandemic) https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...riant-14820456
We also don't know what will happen when we still have very significant community transmission, with (effectively) no masking, and no social distancing, with businesses at full capacity. Everybody who is out and about will be in close proximity to the virus all the time. I doubt the studies have considered that type of scenario without any protections beyond vaccines - we certainly have not been in that situation here in the US in well over a year. Israel lifted its "outdoor" mask mandate when 50% of the population (more than 80% of the adult population) was fully vaccinated. At an individual level, a vaccinated person's risk may still be small - but with a population of hundreds of millions, and when we need to suspect that many antivaxxers are also antimaskers - what will happen? I don't know. Does the CDC know?

Old 05-16-2021, 05:29 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Overall I don't think this virus is going away. At least vaccinations will help contain it. People die from pneumonia and the flu every year. Unfortunately I just foresee this being another virus that kills people, vaccinated or not.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:35 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times
Not exactly "just another virus" recently, though. Covid-19 went from zero to the third-leading cause of death between 2019 and 2020. That's behind heart disease and cancer, but way ahead of any other contagious disease. Maybe it can be knocked down to something like the effect of flu. We'll have to wait to find out.

Old 05-16-2021, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Overall I don't think this virus is going away. At least vaccinations will help contain it. People die from pneumonia and the flu every year. Unfortunately I just foresee this being another virus that kills people, vaccinated or not.
Well - with the better vaccines being so highly effective (MUCH more effective than the flu vaccine), we would actually have had a shot at creating something approaching herd immunity (assuming Pfizer et al keep up with variants) that protects all those that can't mount an immune response (and of course, for now, kids and those that have only recently become eligible!). Clearly, the CDC gave up on that - but some advance notice instead of the whiplash shift in policy, to give people a chance to get fully vaccinated before facing hordes of maskless customers without distancing, and local governors (and stores) a chance to more carefully adapt the guidance to local conditions, would still have been much better public health policy. And it still would have given people on the fence the same incentive to get vaccinated.
I also don't like the shift in CDC advice from "no masks needed", to "your mask protects me, mine protects you", to "wear a mask to protect yourself" (with businesses at full capacity) to young kids and immunocompromised transplant and cancer patients (as well as many others on immune-suppressing drugs). My trust in the CDC has dropped like a rock this pandemic. Not sure it will ever recover. Clearly, it was not just a Trump problem.
The UK had under 2000 cases (MA a bit under 500) and 4 deaths (MA 5) today, with good vaccination statistics. With a population over 66 million (RI is even worse than MA, as usual). And the UK are just now opening up a bit more, and already warning that a full reopening may be delayed due to the Indian variant.

Old 05-17-2021, 07:25 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
The UK had under 2000 cases (MA a bit under 500) and 4 deaths (MA 5) today, with good vaccination statistics. With a population over 66 million (RI is even worse than MA, as usual). And the UK are just now opening up a bit more, and already warning that a full reopening may be delayed due to the Indian variant.
That is stellar performance by the UK. I had heard from my colleagues there that the vax campaign was going well, and that (anecdotally) there was less resistance to taking it. Those of us who had Boris Johnson pegged for Trump Jr. need to eat our words, I guess!

Old 05-17-2021, 07:36 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Those of us who had Boris Johnson pegged for Trump Jr. need to eat our words, I guess!
Didn't get get it bad enough to need hospitalization? Not as a precaution, but out of necessity? If so, i would think that would light a fire under his knickers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts