Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2021, 04:16 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times

Advertisements

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavi...eopening-plans

Baker going to update the reopening plans "early next week". It'll look super dumb if 100% and the mask mandate gets moved into June but who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 04:51 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
There's an labor shortage from all those people staying on unemployment and not looking for work. The masks have to go because people use it as an excuse that's it still unsafe to be inside even vaccinated. That the CDC moved so quickly seems to have caught everyone off guard.

You're making zero sense there, and the ones actually running the businesses disagree. Why in the world would people feel safer coming back to work knowing they now have to face an unmasked, unvaccinated public?

Old 05-14-2021, 05:14 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
I have a suspicion that this is coming from Big Biz, who is freaking out over inflation and wants things back to normal ASAP, and getting rid of the mask mandate is part of that. I also think they want the unemployment extension discontinued right now rather than September although that's unlikely to happen.
Really? I know it's only been 24 hrs, but other than Trader Joe's, I haven't seen retail chains tripping over each other to end mask mandates in their stores. To the contrary, many (Kroger, Sbux) have come out with statements saying that they intend to keep the mandates in place for now.

Old 05-14-2021, 05:46 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times
Now the CNN headline says "Walmart, Trader Joe's and Costco say vaccinated customers don't have to wear masks in stores". I think Baker may simply have to make wearing masks optional, or he'll face a situation where huge numbers of people will be openly defying him. He'd be trying to say "The CDC and Walmart might say it's OK, but here in Massachusetts your government (along with a few people on city-data.com) believes it's too soon" and not being listened to.

Old 05-14-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Really? I know it's only been 24 hrs, but other than Trader Joe's, I haven't seen retail chains tripping over each other to end mask mandates in their stores. To the contrary, many (Kroger, Sbux) have come out with statements saying that they intend to keep the mandates in place for now.
I think nobody was prepared for the move to happen so soon. Give it some time for the shock value to subside.

Quote:
You're making zero sense there, and the ones actually running the businesses disagree. Why in the world would people feel safer coming back to work knowing they now have to face an unmasked, unvaccinated public?
The messaging is that if you have the vaccine it doesn't matter much what the public does.

Old 05-14-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
The messaging is that if you have the vaccine it doesn't matter much what the public does.
Huh???

Old 05-14-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Huh???
I guess I could word it as "if you have the vaccine it doesn't matter if you come in contact with someone who's positive because it's NBD" Very unlikely to get sick, etc.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I guess I could word it as "if you have the vaccine it doesn't matter if you come in contact with someone who's positive because it's NBD" Very unlikely to get sick, etc.

And the people who aren't fully vaccinated yet? Should they just stay home? Or not come in to work? That good for business?

Old 05-14-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
And the people who aren't fully vaccinated yet? Should they just stay home? Or not come in to work? That good for business?
If they don't want to get evicted because they have no money due to unemployment being cut off...

Guess they would also have to end the eviction ban too.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:36 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
An article by statnews about those that are left out and endangered by this new policy. https://www.statnews.com/2021/05/14/...ents-in-limbo/
Add the kids <12 and teens who are just starting their vaccinations this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts