Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2021, 01:51 PM

16,398 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

It just seems like the vaccines happened far too fast. At first I was happy but I'm not sure how i feel about vaccinating my 5 and 7 year old anytime soon. It feels so rushed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 01:56 PM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I'm going to miss the 12.5/25% capacity days at Fenway. It's not just the comfort of having elbow room, but also not having to deal with noisy/obnoxious neighbors or having the critical mass of idiots around to start up crap like "yankees suck" chants during games against teams not from New York.

There's also the issue that kids 0-12 are almost certainly not going to be vaccinated by then, but will be in close quarters with the aforementioned freedom dudebros, but I guess the answer is I stop taking my kid with me to games for a few months.
Yeah, that's how I feel. We actually have tickets to one more game at 25% capacity, but we'll likely be holding off for a few months after that.

Old 05-18-2021, 02:30 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It just seems like the vaccines happened far too fast. At first I was happy but I'm not sure how i feel about vaccinating my 5 and 7 year old anytime soon. It feels so rushed.

Well, I'm sorry that the vaccines took so long to develop! However, I do understand that these things can't be done overnight. Just consider, all the time the vaccines weren't available, people were dying. That's what we ought to be concentrating on.

And beyond the deaths, there's the issue that even more people caught the illness but survived--and what are the long-term effects on their health going to be? I'm much happier now that I don't feel at risk from this disease. If I had children, I'd want the same for them.

Old 05-18-2021, 02:43 PM

16,398 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I said they happened too fast...I didn't say they took too long, quite the opposite! I actually would have preferred it take a little longer with some actual proof that they work and there won't be bad side effects. I am happy less people are dying...but I did feel some pressure to get vaccinated right away.

I havent thought too much about long terms risks of people who've had it... I'm not sure why it would be so different than having any other virus. Again we just dont know that much about any of this.

Old 05-18-2021, 03:30 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebruiser500 View Post

I've lived in Massachusetts most of my life and the mask zealots have made life here miserable. I enjoy watching and laughing as they suffer the consequences of their own actions.
You know what's miserable? The lives of the families of the 17,000+ people who lost their lives to COVID-19 in Massachusetts. But hey, that misery pales in comparison to the inconvenience of wearing a face covering in public spaces, right?

Old 05-18-2021, 03:33 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebruiser500 View Post
vaccine passports? this is a fascist crypto-nazi policy. not even people in massachusetts will accept your evil idea.
If you attended a public school in the US, odds are that your parent(s) had to submit a vaccine "passport" in order for you to enroll. Quit while you're behind.

Old 05-18-2021, 03:52 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I suspect many will wear masks forever after this. You never know when the next virus will come along. If you keep your masks on, you'll be safe.

Well y'know, the majority of maskers probably ordered masks by bulk, 50 to a box, 10 boxes total, so they've a lot of supply to use. Why waste?

Old 05-18-2021, 05:16 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Anyway and so it begins

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/18/rayt...rid-work-.html

Raytheon is a major company across New England they bought out United technologies in ct not long ago.

Who is next? Pratt and Whitney? State Street? EMC?

Old 05-18-2021, 05:50 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Anyway and so it begins

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/18/rayt...rid-work-.html

Raytheon is a major company across New England they bought out United technologies in ct not long ago.

Who is next? Pratt and Whitney? State Street? EMC?
Gotta say BS. I'm like 99% sure you can't work remotely if you are doing any sort of clearance work. Plus any of the manufacturing jobs. I'm guessing there will be a lot of job cuts and perhaps some movement to cheaper parts of the country.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:22 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Haven't use federal systems they do monitor exactly who and where a login has occurred. They do time out as well. Reporting to a federal website is much different than a private-sector one.

Manufacturing is not about employing people manufacturing is about the automation of processes that go beyond handmade. If everything that was made in the factory was handmade the price of it would go up exponentially. I automobile would easily cost six figures. A cannery wouldn't be able to operate because the hand can everything would be impossible.

Now keep in mind Raytheon isn't talking about layoffs just simply talking about reducing the space that they need. There is such thing as having too much space and everything does cost for rent for cost and amount. A prior employee of mine has been approached by the landlord that they can get more space for the same price. That's not an issue at all. They don't need more space in fact they need less space. They are likely going to be able to move in the fall. Other tenants within the building have already left.

With respect to the fence contractors I think the writing's on the wall that is might end up being the same type of era that it was 30 years ago. If we really want to do all this government spending for infrastructure and we don't want to raise taxes and we don't want to add to the deficit the only real recourse is to cut spending. Obviously we're not going to cut health care because that would be next to Impossible but we can cut the military. We've already withdrawn from Iraq's and we're about to withdraw from Afghanistan. Think about the really high priced items like the F-35 and the F-22. Let's not forget the Navy with some high-end submarines. We don't need to be making these. We also haven't had a BRAC hearing since 1995. Obama pretty much showed us that we can have war with drones rather than sending actual troops. So everything attached to that might end up being a bit redundant.

Think about what we did in World War II and then think about how we can reverse that. Can factories that make weapons and vehicles for the military shift to more civilian? Sometimes they can. Maybe a company that makes a Bearcats would then make mini buses. AM General made the Hummers back in the day and now you can pretty much buy one yourself although I don't know who would want one.

The real question now is about the adjustments at the local governments are going to have to make with a budget. If they shrimp down there size and obviously that means they're going to probably want less and property taxes would make less than smaller footprint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts