Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2020, 07:25 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times

Advertisements

Well we’re only on week 2. But yes I guess it’s a positive that he loves the iPad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 06:03 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
My first grader was issued an iPad this year. the teacher showed him how to use and so far he loves it.
How did the teacher show him how to use it? Our son loves the idea of gadgetry and a screen, but he doesn't at all know how how to navigate to live zooms or asynchronous recorded lessons or to submit the classwork he's been assigned. Every step requires our involvement. Throw in an older child on a Chromebook with an entirely different routine and different set of apps and procedures, and it's just ridiculous.

Private schools are conducting class in person. Why can't public schools?

Old 09-26-2020, 08:02 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
How did the teacher show him how to use it? Our son loves the idea of gadgetry and a screen, but he doesn't at all know how how to navigate to live zooms or asynchronous recorded lessons or to submit the classwork he's been assigned. Every step requires our involvement. Throw in an older child on a Chromebook with an entirely different routine and different set of apps and procedures, and it's just ridiculous.

Is your son's school using google classroom? It's pretty easy to navigate even for a first grader, oun neighbors kid is a first grader who uses a chromebook with a touch screen and can log into the google classroom apps, do the work, submit it and log himself into zoom sessions. One difference might be that in this district kids start using ipads or chromebooks in kindergarten and have done so for long before covid.

Old 09-26-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Is your son's school using google classroom? It's pretty easy to navigate even for a first grader, oun neighbors kid is a first grader who uses a chromebook with a touch screen and can log into the google classroom apps, do the work, submit it and log himself into zoom sessions. One difference might be that in this district kids start using ipads or chromebooks in kindergarten and have done so for long before covid.
I guess our kids are dumb. Fair enough. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree and all that. My six-year-old has never seen an iPad before. To be honest, neither have I. I use dozens of apps and different systems for work (including iOS to use inDesign and Vellum), but I've never picked up an iPad, and I think it sucks. It's not intuitive at all. It also doesn't stand up on its own, so our first-grader has two hands on the device instead of one hand holding a writing implement. He's entering assignments by writing with his finger on the screen, which eliminates another essential element of his learning. We are working on solutions, but this flaw should have been addressed by teachers and administrators, not parents.

Our eight-year-old's first introduction to a laptop was in March, and then there was no screen time over the summer until last week. And his system is obviously different from that of the iPad. Two different education distribution systems. More to manage for the kids and the parents—who are pretending to continue their careers.

I think it's amazing that other young children can work fluently with iPads and Chromebooks to navigate through their lessons and submit assignments and attend zoom calls on time, but...wait. Nope. That's absolute BS that they can do all of those things on their own.

Private school kids are in class. In person. This is a massive statewide public education failure. And the problem starts with a U.

Old 09-26-2020, 10:54 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
I guess our kids are dumb. Fair enough. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree and all that. My six-year-old has never seen an iPad before. To be honest, neither have I. I use dozens of apps and different systems for work (including iOS to use inDesign and Vellum), but I've never picked up an iPad, and I think it sucks. It's not intuitive at all. It also doesn't stand up on its own, so our first-grader has two hands on the device instead of one hand holding a writing implement. He's entering assignments by writing with his finger on the screen, which eliminates another essential element of his learning. We are working on solutions, but this flaw should have been addressed by teachers and administrators, not parents.

Our eight-year-old's first introduction to a laptop was in March, and then there was no screen time over the summer until last week. And his system is obviously different from that of the iPad. Two different education distribution systems. More to manage for the kids and the parents—who are pretending to continue their careers.

I think it's amazing that other young children can work fluently with iPads and Chromebooks to navigate through their lessons and submit assignments and attend zoom calls on time, but...wait. Nope. That's absolute BS that they can do all of those things on their own.

Private school kids are in class. In person. This is a massive statewide public education failure. And the problem starts with a U.
Don’t fret, my kids are dumb, too. I guess somewhere out there are first graders who have no problems remote learning, but not my kids or really any of their friends. Thankfully our district did the best they could and got the first graders and kindergartners in 4 days a week. That’s one day of remote learning which isn’t entirely a waste of time, but it’s probably 10-20% as effective as in person learning.

Of course, we’ve already established my kids are stupid and this is definitely not a problem for most 5 and 6 year olds who can power through hours of Zoom learning with no problems and then independently learn the rest of the time. I’m glad at least I got my kids into a district for other stupid kids.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Don’t fret, my kids are dumb, too. I guess somewhere out there are first graders who have no problems remote learning, but not my kids or really any of their friends. Thankfully our district did the best they could and got the first graders and kindergartners in 4 days a week. That’s one day of remote learning which isn’t entirely a waste of time, but it’s probably 10-20% as effective as in person learning.

Of course, we’ve already established my kids are stupid and this is definitely not a problem for most 5 and 6 year olds who can power through hours of Zoom learning with no problems and then independently learn the rest of the time. I’m glad at least I got my kids into a district for other stupid kids.
Ha! Well, we're 100% remote. My kids will be sweeping your kids' floors in a dozen years or so.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:13 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Mine are in second grade now, but prior to covid they had never used an IPad simple because we never introduced them and tried to minimize screen time. Covid kinda threw all that out the window due to necessity.

One is hybrid 5 days a week (half days) in school, the other is full remote. 3 year old is in a small (3-4 kids) home day care 4-days a week. This years remote lessons are actually going better than last, but I must admit it’s nice when the house is empty and I can actually focus on work. My sons school system that is full remote is planning to return to in class lessons in oct.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:19 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:

Not all private schools are conducting class 100% in person. As for why some are, it's because the parents of private school kids in MD sued citing religious freedoms and were expected to win when the Governor overruled the Department of Education. Typically private schools have smaller class sizes, more money to spend on PPE, and support, and greater flexibility than public schools. They also have teachers that are much easily dismissed than public school teachers.

The elite schools have the ability to hire extra personnel to make things easier for their teachers as well. My niece was hired at a hoity toity boarding/day school to assist the public school children of the school's teachers/employees with their remote learning so that their parents could be in the classroom.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:50 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Agreed - important to look at rolling averages rather than one day spike, and in-town case loads/trends rather than state wide.

We are doing better than I thought we would be at this point.
Well, turns out I'm not the only one who's concerned with us consistently seeing nearly 500 cases/day. Is it indoor dining? Is it the increased testing by colleges & universities? No one seems to be able to pinpoint it. I was hoping for a much lower baseline, going into the full indoors season.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/09/...d-19-increase/

Old 09-26-2020, 07:05 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Wondering if someone can shed light on this.

I was participating remotely in a meeting with some colleagues this past week, who were at my workplace in a conference room. I was shocked to see on the webcam that all had removed their masks. I actually raised this question at the outset, and was told, "That's because we're sitting more than 6' apart. That's the CDC guideline". I did verify this is the case, but isn't no masking and sharing the same indoor space one of the known culprits for spread?

Also, I checked the MA guideline, which does not seem to make this distinction. In other words, facial coverings are required, and as far as I can tell, regardless of whether you're able to social distance or not. Two questions:

(1) Is my interpretation correct?
(2) If they differ, which guidance should my workplace be following--CDC or MA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts