Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2021, 08:12 AM

779 posts, read 878,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
Not exactly "just another virus" recently, though. Covid-19 went from zero to the third-leading cause of death between 2019 and 2020. That's behind heart disease and cancer, but way ahead of any other contagious disease. Maybe it can be knocked down to something like the effect of flu. We'll have to wait to find out.
With covid vaccines more effective than flu vaccines + treatment for covid improving significantly over the past year, I can the mortality rate for covid being lower than the flu. For children, the mortality rate for covid is already significantly lower than the flu and that is with no covid vaccine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 08:31 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Sorta related but like I mentioned before I see gym equipment starting to drop in price and now I'm seeing a fair amount of used luxury and sport/sporty cars on facebook marketplace. We haven't had $3 gas nationwide since the fall of 2014. I'm assuming either they can't afford to drive them or they are scraping at selling anything to pay bills.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:49 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Well - with the better vaccines being so highly effective (MUCH more effective than the flu vaccine), we would actually have had a shot at creating something approaching herd immunity (assuming Pfizer et al keep up with variants) that protects all those that can't mount an immune response (and of course, for now, kids and those that have only recently become eligible!). Clearly, the CDC gave up on that - but some advance notice instead of the whiplash shift in policy, to give people a chance to get fully vaccinated before facing hordes of maskless customers without distancing, and local governors (and stores) a chance to more carefully adapt the guidance to local conditions, would still have been much better public health policy. And it still would have given people on the fence the same incentive to get vaccinated.
I also don't like the shift in CDC advice from "no masks needed", to "your mask protects me, mine protects you", to "wear a mask to protect yourself" (with businesses at full capacity) to young kids and immunocompromised transplant and cancer patients (as well as many others on immune-suppressing drugs). My trust in the CDC has dropped like a rock this pandemic. Not sure it will ever recover. Clearly, it was not just a Trump problem.
The UK had under 2000 cases (MA a bit under 500) and 4 deaths (MA 5) today, with good vaccination statistics. With a population over 66 million (RI is even worse than MA, as usual). And the UK are just now opening up a bit more, and already warning that a full reopening may be delayed due to the Indian variant.

My trust in the CDC went from near zero prior to the pandemic, to "grudgingly" utilizing their guidance given this was a brand new virus with no real "other" authority to go by, to now pretty much right back where I started. They have long been a political organization, not one of public health.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:53 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,416,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
That is stellar performance by the UK. I had heard from my colleagues there that the vax campaign was going well, and that (anecdotally) there was less resistance to taking it. Those of us who had Boris Johnson pegged for Trump Jr. need to eat our words, I guess!

That is the effect of a centralized health care system, and just generally a willingness to accept instructions from the government. There's nothing wonderful about Johnson, though at least he's acted responsibly.

Just last month Massachusetts had a holiday to celebrate, uh, not taking orders from the British government. We could ask whether that attitude helps or hurts when a pandemic comes along.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:20 AM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
May 29th - goodbye masks. Unless businesses decide otherwise.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:20 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
May 29th, (most) everything lifted.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:23 AM

I'm kind of surprised it's so soon. Just in time for Memorial Day festivities. Curious how businesses will follow.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:07 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
That is stellar performance by the UK. I had heard from my colleagues there that the vax campaign was going well, and that (anecdotally) there was less resistance to taking it. Those of us who had Boris Johnson pegged for Trump Jr. need to eat our words, I guess!
As a nationalist, Johnson and the the other guy are the same. Johnson did downplay the severity of Covid until he was infected and spent time in hospital. He then was willing to say he was wrong and changed his tune unlike the former President who can't admit wrong.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:16 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,783,142 times
State of Emergency also ends on June 15th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I'm kind of surprised it's so soon. Just in time for Memorial Day festivities. Curious how businesses will follow.
I thought that quickly was a possibility. After all, if you get rid of the masks there's no point in having any restrictions.

Now we wait and see how quickly companies force employees back in the office.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:32 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
State of Emergency also ends on June 15th.

I thought that quickly was a possibility. After all, if you get rid of the masks there's no point in having any restrictions.

Now we wait and see how quickly companies force employees back in the office.
Well a lot of companies have already given their employees a return date of sometime after labor day. I guess we'll see if they make it sooner now...but I doubt it. My boss doesn't think we'll be back until Jan 2022. I don't think all companies will necessarily be on board with what the CDC/Baker is doing here...I think it will be helpful for restaurants, bars, hotels, etc but they've been hurt badly by this. Most companies with office workers who are able to work from home haven't been.

Last edited by msRB311; 05-17-2021 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts