Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2021, 02:57 PM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I've also dialed back, but for the opposite reason. I had covid and the mildest of mild symptoms--not even a fever. Seems the point of the vaccine isn't to stop the spread given the breakthrough cases, but to keep people out of the hospital. I'm not at risk of going to the hospital if I get covid again. My risk is really that I get it and spread it, but I could do the same if vaccinated. The only people I know right now who have covid are vaccinated and got it from vaccinated people.

Those who have had covid are bucketed as unvaccinated and I think that's wrong. It feels like we are overlooked based on THE AGENDA. That agenda is to get everybody vaccinated at all costs.

The CDC is still mandating that those who had covid get both doses even though every single medical paper published states that the second shot is virtually usesless to those who've had covid. Those who had covid + get one shot have stronger antibodies than those who were unvaccinated and get 2 shots. But that doesn't matter because to say it's ok to get 1 shot for a group of people would go against the agenda. Even if the science supports it.

If people are concerned about the LACK OF DATA we have for long-term effects of the vaccine, then that's a choice they are making based on science. I don't think the vaccines are unsafe, but I also understand if a person has weighed the risk of getting covid vs. wanting more vaccine data and are making a science-based decision based on those factors.
My mother described my unvaccinated family member (mentioned a few posts back) as a political nutjob (she's always been moderate conservative) who was duped by the "Trump wing" of the party. She talks about it like this family was injured in an accident and is now in a coma she's unlikely to wake up from. In reality, she's 27 and got COVID (Delta) in early June and only had mild symptoms. Her logic now is that she has the antibodies, she was always at low risk of serious infection anyway, and the long-term data on the vaccine doesn't exist yet so she's holding off indefinitely. If it were me, I'd still get the vaccine. But I don't really fault her for remaining unvaccinated for the time being. She's likely more protected than people like me who had their second shot back in March.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 03:03 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
My mother described my unvaccinated family member (mentioned a few posts back) as a political nutjob (she's always been moderate conservative) who was duped by the "Trump wing" of the party. She talks about it like this family was injured in an accident and is now in a coma she's unlikely to wake up from. In reality, she's 27 and got COVID (Delta) in early June and only had mild symptoms. Her logic now is that she has the antibodies, she was always at low risk of serious infection anyway, and the long-term data on the vaccine doesn't exist yet so she's holding off indefinitely. If it were me, I'd still get the vaccine. But I don't really fault her for remaining unvaccinated for the time being.
Exceptin’ the reality that it’s our civic duty to get vaccinated in order to ease the burden on hospitals during a pandemic. The way I look at it, it’s an IDGAF about anyone else in society. That’s the defining trait of our fine Trumpkins.

Old 08-18-2021, 03:05 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Right but here's the problem with that. It can take as little as six months for a regular vaccine to come out. So any arguments that it takes years and years just don't work. So what's the solution watch people die and wait years or do something about it?

The average vaccine might be 500 million to make. This is 20 to 40 billion and was a world wide effort
https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10....2.191448/full/

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/...s-coronavirus/

Multiple companies and many countries all trying to do things would accomplish a solution and it did.

Old 08-18-2021, 03:24 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
It's science-based to factor the lack of data into your decision. It doesn't mean there still aren't many other data points to consider--e.g. data up to this point would indicate that the vaccine is safe, those who are in the hospital and dying are unvaccinated, states with lower vaccination rates are suffering to a greater degree, etc.--but the lack of long-term data is still a consideration that is based in science. How heavily somebody weighs it in relation to the other data varies from person to person, I expect.
I suppose for me at least - if I have reason to believe that something bad will happen, then I am concerned. But if I have no reason to believe that something bad will happen, and all prior known information indicates it's very unlikely, then I am not concerned - even if I can't rule it out entirely.

While these vaccines are new, the mRNA part of the system is the novel part, and that will be cleared by enzymes within a few weeks. After that, sure, antibodies and memory T-cells will still exist, but those exist as the body's immune response to *any* vaccine. My understanding from listening to discussion from numerous people with a lot more knowledge about vaccines than me is that side effects that were hidden at first and then suddenly pop up after a year or multiple years - that's never happened for vaccines before, and we've been using vaccines for over 100 years. So while it can't be 100% ruled out, it's definitely not reasonable to expect it.

Old 08-18-2021, 04:25 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Not only fully vaccinated, but supposedly had even had a third dose.
And although asymptomatic, he is on the REGN antibody cocktail for which his case isn't recommended for.

Old 08-18-2021, 04:41 PM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Right but here's the problem with that. It can take as little as six months for a regular vaccine to come out. So any arguments that it takes years and years just don't work. So what's the solution watch people die and wait years or do something about it?

The average vaccine might be 500 million to make. This is 20 to 40 billion and was a world wide effort
https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10....2.191448/full/

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/...s-coronavirus/

Multiple companies and many countries all trying to do things would accomplish a solution and it did.
Exactly. That's why I see arguments such as "it was rushed to market" and "hasn't been officially approved" as vacuous red herrings by folks who have no clue about vaccines, how they work, and (even less about) how they're developed. When the formal FDA approvals are granted, it'll be some other excuse.

And we know...there were several in 2020, such as "Dr." Scott Atlas and the rest of the GBD crowd, who were in so many words, advocating for the "watch people die" scenario. Let the virus run rampant, kill 2 - 3 million folks, and go for herd immunity the tough way.

Old 08-18-2021, 06:23 PM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Exceptin’ the reality that it’s our civic duty to get vaccinated in order to ease the burden on hospitals during a pandemic. The way I look at it, it’s an IDGAF about anyone else in society. That’s the defining trait of our fine Trumpkins.
Exceptin' that she already had covid and had mild symptoms, so how would she be a burden on the hospitals?

Old 08-18-2021, 07:05 PM

16,402 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
My mother described my unvaccinated family member (mentioned a few posts back) as a political nutjob (she's always been moderate conservative) who was duped by the "Trump wing" of the party. She talks about it like this family was injured in an accident and is now in a coma she's unlikely to wake up from. In reality, she's 27 and got COVID (Delta) in early June and only had mild symptoms. Her logic now is that she has the antibodies, she was always at low risk of serious infection anyway, and the long-term data on the vaccine doesn't exist yet so she's holding off indefinitely. If it were me, I'd still get the vaccine. But I don't really fault her for remaining unvaccinated for the time being. She's likely more protected than people like me who had their second shot back in March.
Quote:
Exceptin' that she already had covid and had mild symptoms, so how would she be a burden on the hospitals?
Many people have already had covid and had mild or no symptoms.

Old 08-18-2021, 07:49 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
There have been many documented cases of unvaccinated people getting infected again, asymptomatic, and spreading the disease around. It’s your civic duty to keep the transmission rate low. Vaccination is part of that civic duty.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:20 PM

16,402 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I don't see the big deal of getting the vaccine. I guess I'm not all that picky about what goes into my body. I've had my kids, I'm guessing this won't give me cancer but who knows. I got the vaccine hoping it will help me not get covid that I could pass on to my kids. They might get it elsewhere, maybe they already did. I'll do what I can to help stop the spread. But I'm not going to sit at home or wear a mask anytime I'm indoors unless it's mandated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts