Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2021, 02:21 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times

Advertisements

I understand the Murder Hornets are back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 03:07 PM

12,427 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I'm aware of that but the trouble is that the actual covid tests you can find are not the type they use.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ng-into-canada

"All travellers must provide one of the accepted types of tests, not an antigen test, including those who are fully vaccinated."

antigen are faster and more commonly found.
They likely want you to do a PCR test. I think both CVS and Walgreens can do a PCR test, along with a number of hospitals like Lawrence hospital.

Old 08-15-2021, 06:16 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YevTK View Post
You must be joking. These agencies (CDC, NIH etc) have done at absolutely appallingly bad job throughout the pandemic. I attribute this to incompetence and bureaucracy rather than some grand conspiracy. They are far too imcompentent to pull off a conspiracy.

Let's look at some examples where these idiots have failed:

1. No definitive study of surface transmission - people wasted months cleaning surfaces for no reason
2. No definitive study of outdoor transmission - we had to reply on one Chinese study. My son's high school soccer players had to wear masks when playing for no reason
3. No study of infection levels in vaccinated people - they waited for a totally unrepresentative study in Provincetown. This study gave headlines and ammunition to the anti-vaxers. The CDC then made national recommendations from this worthless study. A study that said "data from this report are insufficient to draw conclusions about the effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines against SARS-CoV-2, including the Delta variant, during this outbreak”.
4. No study of school bus transmission risk
5. No study of transmission in schools
6. No definitive study of masks - the best I can determine is that properly fitted N95 masks are effective, reused bits of cloth aren't.

Again and again these agencies have failed and continue to fail. I am a strong proponent of vaccination but I find myself being undermined by these useless bureaucrats.
For God's sake--this freakin' disease is only 20 months old! And it's evolving fast. Why on earth would you think there would be an omniscient body out there that knows all the answers, definitively, 100%, and without subject to revision as more data is available?

Old 08-15-2021, 06:31 PM

199 posts, read 67,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
For God's sake--this freakin' disease is only 20 months old! And it's evolving fast. Why on earth would you think there would be an omniscient body out there that knows all the answers, definitively, 100%, and without subject to revision as more data is available?
Why make excuses for these agencies? the US Government has enough resources to do all these studies. It's just not that hard. Instead their failures have led to confusion and mistrust.

For example, let's take a look a two of the items I listed.

Surface transmission - this doesn't even need any test subjects to be involved. Just put the virus on various surfaces and see how long it remains viable.

Vaccinated viral load - Just sample breakthrough cases for virus levels. is this hard? Why wait for the Provincetown incident? If Provincetown hadn't happened would they still be waiting?

Old 08-15-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Why make excuses for these agencies? the US Government has enough resources to do all these studies. It's just not that hard. Instead their failures have led to confusion and mistrust.

For example, let's take a look a two of the items I listed.

Surface transmission - this doesn't even need any test subjects to be involved. Just put the virus on various surfaces and see how long it remains viable.

Vaccinated viral load - Just sample breakthrough cases for virus levels. is this hard? Why wait for the Provincetown incident? If Provincetown hadn't happened would they still be waiting?
It's not a matter of resources--you can't manufacture time. Again, the disease is 20 months old. We should be glad that we have vaccines that were developed so quickly. And do you think it's easy to do any sort of controlled studies in real time?

The CDC and NIH didn't get stupid all of a sudden. Yes, their messaging leaves a lot to be desired. It's the conspiracists who've come out this time and started to smear them...plain and simple.

Old 08-15-2021, 06:47 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
It's not a matter of resources--you can't manufacture time. Again, the disease is 20 months old. We should be glad that we have vaccines that were developed so quickly. And do you think it's easy to do any sort of controlled studies in real time?

The CDC and NIH didn't get stupid all of a sudden. Yes, their messaging leaves a lot to be desired. It's the conspiracists who've come out this time and started to smear them...plain and simple.
Except that the conspiracy theorists have been right more than the CDC and NIH, but who is counting. Sure, we have a vaccine (whatever you call it), but one that we have no long term effects about.

Old 08-15-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Except that the conspiracy theorists have been right more than the CDC and NIH, but who is counting. Sure, we have a vaccine (whatever you call it), but one that we have no long term effects about.
The conspiracy theorists have blood on their hands, because they've discouraged people from taking what's been proven to be a lifesaving vaccine. Long-term effects? Side effects from vaccines manifest within 6 weeks. We have literally hundreds of millions of data points now, in the US alone, pointing to overwhelming safety.

Old 08-15-2021, 06:58 PM

199 posts, read 67,368 times
Quote:

Ok, so you think that producing the vaccine was easier and quicker than doing a few studies?

The scientists that created the vaccine did a fantastic job, the CDC and NIH are incompentent.

The Provincetown study is a great example of the stupidity of the CDC. This study is worthless, yet it was used by the CDC to make national policy and is quoted endlessly. The headlines surrounding the study were all about the ineffectiveness of the vaccines when the study said no such thing. This was directly caused by CDC messaging. I am not going to give them a pass on this, they are supposed to have a competence in communicating to the public.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:10 PM

12,427 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Ehhh, I am not sure what you're talking about. Do you think there is anything special about these Covid-19 vaccines that they deserve some kind of special caution? Why is there some concern about a lack of knowledge of the long-term effects? So it is for any new drug or vaccine, right? Yet I've honestly never heard this concern about anything else before these Covid-19 vaccines. I cannot understand it.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Ok, so you think that producing the vaccine was easier and quicker than doing a few studies?

The scientists that created the vaccine did a fantastic job, the CDC and NIH are incompetent.

The Provincetown study is a great example of the stupidity of the CDC. This study is worthless, yet it was used by the CDC to make national policy and is quoted endlessly. The headlines surrounding the study were all about the ineffectiveness of the vaccines when the study said no such thing. This was directly caused by CDC messaging. I am not going to give them a pass on this, they are supposed to have a competence in communicating to the public.
And you, I'm sure, have impeccable credentials to judge the competence of the CDC and NIH. Both of which are the envy of the world in terms of immunology & epidemiology expertise. Got it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts