Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2021, 07:37 PM

5,111 posts, read 2,668,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
For God's sake--this freakin' disease is only 20 months old! And it's evolving fast. Why on earth would you think there would be an omniscient body out there that knows all the answers, definitively, 100%, and without subject to revision as more data is available?
LMAO. I see people like you and a few others here with all the answers each and every day on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 07:44 PM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
LMAO. I see people like you and a few others here with all the answers each and every day on this forum.
Never. I have the humility and intellect to know what I don't know. The dangerous ones are those who don't know what they don't know, but pretend to.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:46 PM

199 posts, read 67,368 times
Quote:
And you, I'm sure, have impeccable credentials to judge the competence of the CDC and NIH. Both of which are the envy of the world in terms of immunology & epidemiology expertise. Got it!
This is irrelevant. You haven't addressed my concerns. You can't justify the CDC using Provincetown study.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:47 PM

16,402 posts, read 8,198,277 times
One thing I've been pondering lately is why the mass hysteria about masks...particularly for people who have been vaccinated. The flu, colds, pneumonia, norovirus can be deadly for some and just downright unpleasant for everyone else. Most people who get covid say they feel like they have a cold. Why now are we doing masks, simply because covid is new? I can recall a few times over the past few years where I got sick from my kids and I've never felt so sick in my life. I couldnt move, had a fever, vomiting, it went on a for a few days then i was ok. I would have loved to have avoided being sick like that but there were no masks or people WFH the way we have now. I think the masks are causing a lot of controversy. I have said I dont care if my kids have to wear them or if i have to wear them if i go inside somewhere...but I just can't help but question why now as far as masks go. We'd all see the occasional Asian person on the train wearing one, drs wear them while operating but in the US and most other countries this is a new phenomenon. We've had outbreaks before, particularly bad flu seasons but no one ever suggested wearing masks.

I know covid is 'different' and people don't want to get it...but i didn't want the stomach bug that I had two years in a row...and many others didn't want the flu (even when vaccinated) or the pneumonia that killed them and we never had a masks for that. I understand some people end up in the hospital with covid but they did with pneumonia and flu in the past as well. I wish people would just get vaccinated. We've always relied on vaccines, never on masks.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YevTK View Post
This is irrelevant. You haven't addressed my concerns. You can't justify the CDC using Provincetown study.
You apparently have no idea what the CDC does. We would be sunk without them on the Covid crisis...especially with the "truth optional" administration in power last year. They've helped lead the fight on HIV, SARS, H1N1, Ebola, you name it. And you want to trash them over one study...which, to put things in perspective...is based on a cluster that originated over July 4 weekend (less than 6 weeks ago). They acted remarkably fast, on very limited data, if you ask me.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I wish people would just get vaccinated. We've always relied on vaccines, never on masks.
Amen. And as the Globe pointed out this weekend, there's a historic precedent dating back to 1901...right here in Massachusetts...well worth emulating.

https://blog.petrieflom.law.harvard....massachusetts/

Old 08-15-2021, 08:08 PM

I think getting vaccinated is important but I never really cared about whether someone had a flu shot in the past. Now it seems like people are like oh I can't be around aunt so and so because they're refusing to get vaccinated. When I had my kids i never wondered whether Grammy or aunt sue had a flu shot or any shot for that matter and it seems like that's all people think about now. I'd be like if you don't feel well or have a cough or runny nose get out or don't come. It seems to be so much more than that now. I don't know why people aren't getting vaccinated but it's certainly become everyone's business. I mean hell people have one night stands with people they don't know unprotected and whoops let's just slide that under the rug but uncle Ted who has been vaccinated still isn't allowed in the house because he could have covid.

Old 08-15-2021, 08:15 PM

199 posts, read 67,368 times
Quote:
You apparently have no idea what the CDC does. We would be sunk without them on the Covid crisis...especially with the "truth optional" administration in power last year. They've helped lead the fight on HIV, SARS, H1N1, Ebola, you name it. And you want to trash them over one study...which, to put things in perspective...is based on a cluster that originated over July 4 weekend (less than 6 weeks ago). They acted remarkably fast, on very limited data, if you ask me.
Personal attacks against me might make you feel better but they are not relevant. Nor is the CDC's past performance.

My point is that the Providence study should never have been published. It is fundamentally flawed and it is ridiculous that it was used by the CDC to make policy. I think that the CDC should have done a proper study of the potential transmission of the virus by the vaccinated.

I follow the science and logic wherever it leads. I am fully vaccinated and think everyone should do the same. The CDC has helped the anti-vaxers spread their conspiracy theories.

Old 08-15-2021, 08:15 PM

I do recall before covid hearing about a few measles outbreaks. I think the measles, mumps rubella vaccine is 3 series ? I got it and both my kids got it the way it's supposed to be given. I recall my ultra liberal MIT educated co worker and her Harvard professor husband decided that their sons were different and should not get the 3 shot series and they wanted to spread them further or not get them all because I don't know why. Neither parent was a dr or scientist. I do wonder how they feel about the covid vaccine...I've seen several of her social media pics and she's wearing a mask in a few.

Old 08-15-2021, 08:19 PM

So the Provincetown cluster happened during bear week. Im sorry but this is a big hook up week and likely lead to some of this spread. P town is also very small, lots of people in small spaces. The majority might have been vaccinated but I guess it didn't matter. The virus thrived there amongst all the likely not masked people who were very close and probably behaved last year and got friskier this year because time and they were vaccinated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts