Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2021, 04:48 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times

Advertisements

Reminds me when I was hired for some reason they gave me access to a spreadsheet that has every employee's date of birth and for some reason everyone above the age of 65 is highlighted in yellow.

I have to wonder at some point if someone might make the argument for a protected class and all this. The tech companies are pushing for modification of Visa requirements in that H-1B visa holders should be able to bring their spouses in. As a number it's only about 90,000 people. But from where?

If an employer says we don't hire Indians that's obviously discrimination. If they say we don't hire people that have just moved from India that's still discrimination. Is going to have to be some sort of HR policy that specifically State something to the effect of. "We do not take people for I'm person work should they not be tested and vaccinated if there is an epidemic. They can work remotely until they are fully vaccinated."

At this point I think we should probably see some borders starting to open. I can't see that much of an argument on keeping the u.s. Canadian border closed at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 05:56 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
An outbreak like that amongst people who don't test daily will lead to infections in how many unvaccinated, kids or immune-compromised people before it is detected? Combine that with the CDC's new policy of no longer reporting breakthrough cases unless they lead to hospitalizations or deaths (probably to avoid scaring people that they are not fully protected).
Politically you aren't going to be able to keep the mandate forever. Maybe they have finally come to the conclusion that waiting isn't going to change much.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:05 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
I have the state's weekly vaccination spreadsheet up. New Bedford only has 27% fully vaccinated. Springfield 25%. Lawrence 28%. The leafy suburbs are around 50% fully vaccinated. The failed cities have a long way to go.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:29 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I have the state's weekly vaccination spreadsheet up. New Bedford only has 27% fully vaccinated. Springfield 25%. Lawrence 28%. The leafy suburbs are around 50% fully vaccinated. The failed cities have a long way to go.
I'm not sure why you keep using the term failed cities. Most of the suburbs around those areas rely on those cities for emergency management, office space, transit etc. Leafy suburbs is a joke of a term since the vast majority of foresters and arborists are employed by cities, not towns.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:55 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I'm not sure why you keep using the term failed cities. Most of the suburbs around those areas rely on those cities for emergency management, office space, transit etc. Leafy suburbs is a joke of a term since the vast majority of foresters and arborists are employed by cities, not towns.
Wow, I've seen a lot of hot takes in the "Coronavirus in Massachusetts" thread, but "suburbs have the cities to thank for trees" is a scorcher.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:02 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Politically you aren't going to be able to keep the mandate forever. Maybe they have finally come to the conclusion that waiting isn't going to change much.

I somewhat agree, but I also say at least give it until everybody who is willing to be vaccinated has had the option. After that, I'm not going to fret as much over them.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:18 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I somewhat agree, but I also say at least give it until everybody who is willing to be vaccinated has had the option. After that, I'm not going to fret as much over them.
At this point that's just kids under 12, and that's gonna be awhile before below 12 gets approved.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:49 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
At this point that's just kids under 12, and that's gonna be awhile before below 12 gets approved.

That is inaccurate. LOTS of people over 12 who intend to get it, but have yet to become fully vaccinated. LOTS.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:56 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I agree, why the sudden rush to be maskless indoors? I personally wasn't one of the ones who was chomping at the bit to be one of the first to get vaccine...it's also been available to people 18 and older or whatever since April 19th. I have had my first dose and scheduled for my 2nd next week. I am sure there are people who haven't had a first dose yet for a variety of reasons. I get that people want to get back to normal but it's not like the flip of a switch. I am fine with continuing to wear a mask indoors.

I was skeptical about wearing a mask outdoors all along when not in a crowded area. I took my kid to the playground last week and walked in without my mask on mostly because I hadn't had a chance to put it on AND technically i don't see the point of wearing one outside in a non crowded area. My daughter did have one on. I noticed a little girl about 5 take hers off and her dad told her to put it back on and she still needs to wear it. She pointed at me and said, she doesn't have one on. The dad said, well we're still going to wear ours. I kind of rolled my eyes to myself and put it on. It wasn't crowded, outdoor mandate is over, I dont NEED to wear a mask outdoors, but felt the need to put it on when I had apparently influenced a 5 year old to take hers off.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:58 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I feel for families who have immunocompromised kids. This isn't over for them and I imagine some are feeling frustrated...but at least numbers are way down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts