Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2020, 10:17 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I mean if you’re just getting something quickly at the store I see no harm in wearing one. I think the odds of getting it at a store if you’re in an out quickly are low.

But is there really a need to wear one if you’re walking on a hike alone?

I feel nervous when I see people in masks. Makes me wonder if they have symptoms and if they do they should be HOME. I just question if there’s a need for one while out walking. There’s been confusing info on masks throughout this whole thing.

I am much more nervous when I see people without masks. Knowing that anywhere from 25% to 50% are asymptomatic, not wearing a mask is choosing to put everyone at risk. If you are choosing to put others at risk because you won't wear a simple mask in public, what other risky behaviors are you engaging in?

Again, masks aren't about protecting yourself. If everyone wears a mask, I protect you and you protect me. They don't stop you from getting coronavirus but they limit YOUR ability to spread it.

Regarding wearing one on walks, I think it depends. I saw lots of crowded trailheads and sidewalks even out in Sudbury/Marlborough this weekend. Not every path or sidewalk has easy ability to step off the trail to give full distance when people pass. I saw a video from the Alaska Department of Health over the weekend saying they recommend wearing masks at trailheads or any time you pass someone. They also recommended runners stay 20 feet away as exercising means you are expelling your breath more forcefully. That alone tells me you should be wearing a mask anywhere that's not totally isolated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 10:24 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Another thing is that if it's not an N95 mask, it's pretty useless against a virus. These homemade masks (or respirators) might be better than nothing I suppose, they certainly should not give anybody a feeling that they have any kind of ample protection.

I think they are definitely better than nothing when used responsibly. The problem is that a lot of people are treating the masks as if they are a bulletproof remedy and that social distancing is no longer necessary -- both of which are completely false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
In this case, later peak with less deaths does suggest a flattening of the curve. Really need to watch it a few more days to see if the weekend's reduction in cases was an outlier, or does indicate a trend.

Mike, all of the experts (including the surgeon general) have said that this week is going to be one of the worst In US history...along the lines of Pearl Harbor and 9/11.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:24 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
See I feel like we’re at the point where people should be forced to stay home. Too many what if’s. Runners are absolutely not abiding by the 20 ft rule.

It feels like things are intensifying. Now mayor Walsh is saying people should wear masks when out walking. We were about to go for a walk and my husband was wrapping the kids up in scarves and trying to put one on himself. He finally said forget it we’re not going on a walk and took the kids in the yard.

People who don’t have kids and can just sit their butt on the couch right now are lucky. People with kids, especially a strong willed kid who needs exercise are not having an easy time.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:33 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Mike, all of the experts (including the surgeon general) have said that this week is going to be one of the worst In US history...along the lines of Pearl Harbor and 9/11.
I don't disagree with that at all. With the deaths lagging slightly behind confirmations, I definitely think the next 2 weeks are going to be very sad.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:33 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
People who don’t have kids and can just sit their butt on the couch right now are lucky. People with kids, especially a strong willed kid who needs exercise are not having an easy time.
Boston is likely to be another hotspot if it isn't already, confirmed and otherwise.

A family in my area (retirement to SW CO from eastern MA) put up a request on our local FB group for a trampoline for their yard and kids.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:38 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Default Te

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Boston is likely to be another hotspot if it isn't already, confirmed and otherwise.

A family in my area (retirement to SW CO from eastern MA) put up a request on our local FB group for a trampoline for their yard and kids.
I know of a family who got a trampoline and they posted about it on Facebook. Said they never ever would have bought one but are feeling desperate. My kids have had more screen time than I’d like but again we’re desperate for things to do. Amazon is out of many things in regards to games, etc. my 5 yr old has been more interested in writing at least. Lots of practice there. He’s getting more upset when he doesn’t get his way though too. I really think school will be cancelled for the year tho. I don’t see schools reopening in 3 weeks and then finishing out the school year. Part of me would like them to open as long as everything is safe but really it doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:47 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
My three boys (7,6,2) are probably the most energic kids around. It's been a challenge trying to keep them occupied while I've been working and my wife is trying to work as well putting together teaching plans. I'd be lying when I say stress levels at home haven't gone up. Free time for my wife and I consists of the 1 hour or so at night after the kids have finally gone to bed before we decide we are too tired and go to bed ourselves.

Going into week 3, we've come up with a schedule for the kids and us. They now have a "routine" that we try to stick to in terms of school work, and fun. I'm up by 5AM checking emails and having conference calls with Asia. Usually out of the house if I go into the office by 8AM. My wife tries to get her stuff done in the afternoon when the 2-year old naps, and I try to get home (when I don't WFH) by 2PM so that I can take the boys into the yard to burn some energy, or a hike into the nearby woods. Screen time has been as minimal as possible as my wife is vehemently against screen time at a young age

We've dragged out some yard games and such. My 7-year olds are becoming a pro at cornhole and KanJam and we've played a lot of soccer and tee-ball in the yard. I've tried to be creative in terms of things they can do to be active that won't result in a trip to the ER right now. When they get distracted enough to go do something on their own, I open the laptop and work for another hour or so. I do a lot of other work in the late evening these days.

Is it stressful? Yeah, absolutely. However, I stopped complaining about it when my Mother in law was in the ICU with Covid and declining in condition. Do I wish I could plant my arse on the couch and catch up on The Walking Dead? Yup. But you know what? Part of me doesn't want this to end because I've enjoyed all the extra time with the kids....minus the loss of human life. In fact, as "essential" as my work deems me to be, I can't wait to leave today to go play with them in the yard.

With that said, my wife just text me asking when i'll be home to relieve her. So off I go

Old 04-06-2020, 10:49 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
I've been wearing a mask & gloves out in public for the past 2+ weeks (first the simple surgical kind...then over the weekend, an N95). To those who've asked here as to why, it's none of anyone's damn business, honestly. As long as my wearing of a mask, and maintaining a 6' distance, does not pose a danger to you, I don't see why the big deal.

This (and other excuses) was used by many as a reason to not recommend wearing masks for the longest time, flying in the face of what our Asian brethren have known and observed for the past 15 yrs. It's an absolute shame, in this "richest" country in the world, the CDC can recommend masks for all, and in the same communication put out a video telling you how to concoct one at home that, as many in this thread have pointed out, are not as effective and/or restrict breathing. If you're going to recommend that everyone wear masks, make the ones that meet a minimum standard available for general distribution either free or at heavy discounts.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:50 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
... In fact, as "essential" as my work deems me to be, I can't wait to leave today to go play with them in the yard.
It certainly sounds like you and your family have come through in good stead (are coming through!). Best wishes.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:52 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:

I hear this (literally - the toddler upstairs is definitely giving me insight into what it's like keeping a kid occupied) but I don't think anyone has it better or worse. I'd trade anything to have kids and other people around me rather than 24/7 of being alone. And I'm very introverted and function well alone most of the time!

I've taken to "babysitting" my niece and nephew, and friend & coworkers' kids by giving them age appropriate "internships," impromptu Spanish or world geography lessons, or storytime just to break up the monotony and isolation.

Not sure where you live, but are there any empty hotels or schools or anything with empty fields for them to run around in? Out here in Marlborough/Sudbury, I saw two or three families with blankets set up on opposite sides of a big festival ground at Longfellow's Wayside Inn on Sunday. There was plenty of space for the kids to run around without interacting with anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts