Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2021, 09:17 AM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Has there ever been found to be any long-term effects of ANY vaccine ever developed in prior history?
I dont know of any that have ever been proven. I think there's been speculation that Gardisil has caused infertility in some women...many have thought some vaccines cause autism (both infertility and autism have been on the rise the past few decades).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 09:23 AM

448 posts, read 282,292 times
Apr 19 for 16 years old and above (as posted a few ago).

Nice.

Old 03-17-2021, 09:44 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Has there ever been found to be any long-term effects of ANY vaccine ever developed in prior history?
Well, some patients did end up getting polio from oral vaccines (OPVs) and/or spreading polio via virus shedding. A small minority of children in India were paralyzed within the last decade from OPV induced polio. I’d say getting polio is a pretty devastating long term health impact.

No, this isn’t possible with mRNA. Very different applications.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 03-17-2021 at 10:44 AM..

Old 03-17-2021, 09:55 AM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
I don't know, but I do know that vaccine paranoia has been a thing, for decades. It didn't just start with the Covid-19 vaccine. There's been a modest resurgence of measles and chickenpox in the USA in recent years because enough parents are afraid to vaccinate their kids for example. And the lyme disease vaccine that was developed by SmithKline Beecham around 2000 was withdrawn from the market due to protests and lawsuits, and there was actually nothing wrong with it. Even though they had huge sunk costs in the project, SKB pretty much said "We don't need this s---." When I have tried to talk to anti-vaxxers on social media, I have never made 1-inch of progress though. They call me a "sheep" and say I need to educate myself. In short, they want to believe what they want to believe.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Well, some folks did end up getting polio from oral vaccines (OPVs) and/or spreading polio via virus shedding. A small minority of children in India were paralyzed within the last decade from OPV induced polio. I’d say getting polio is a pretty devastating long term health impact.

No, this isn’t possible with mRNA. Very different applications.
It's less common these days, but earlier vaccines often used either the whole killed pathogen or the live, weakened pathogen. A quality issue there, with some process glitch, and you could give someone the live, fully viable pathogen that can replicate in the body. These days such designs are uncommon, and we're mainly seeing antigen (protein subunit) vaccines, mRNA vaccines and adenovirus-vector vaccine designs for Covid-19. The latter do actually use a virus, but it's not Covid-19, and it's been carefully engineered so that it cannot replicate in cells. mRNA vaccines are new in clinical application, but they've been under development for 20+ years and by luck were just getting ready for prime time when Covid-19 came along.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:12 AM

I think overall we can't really blame people who are worried about a vaccine that was put together so quickly. I think it typically takes years to develop a vaccine. This was done in less then a year. Plus we all know that there are many anti Vaxxers out there so is anyone really suprised that people are opposed to getting this ?

Old 03-17-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think overall we can't really blame people who are worried about a vaccine that was put together so quickly. I think it typically takes years to develop a vaccine. This was done in less then a year. Plus we all know that there are many anti Vaxxers out there so is anyone really suprised that people are opposed to getting this ?
Yes, but certainly the mRNA vaccines are intrinsically faster to develop. mRNA vaccines don't require complex and tricky cell culture in bioreactors to manufacture them. The DNA template for making the RNA can be designed on a computer and synthesized with laboratory robotics, then, you just carry out in-vitro transcription using the DNA template and boom! - you have your target mRNA. It's more straight-forward, more efficient, and less expensive than traditional vaccine development. mRNA therapeutics (drugs) will be next, and they have still other advantages.

This is a great and authoritative open-access article for anyone who wants to learn more about the operational advantages of mRNA vaccines... "The promise of mRNA vaccines: a biotech and industrial perspective"
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41541-020-0159-8

Old 03-17-2021, 10:43 AM

I'm not particularly worried about any complications. Most of science/medical people I know aren't either.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I'm not particularly worried about any complications. Most of science/medical people I know aren't either.
Of course I was still interested to read the reports of clinical trial results and any discussions of adverse effects in use - you can't take anything for granted. But the results have been better than anyone hoped for the mRNA vaccines, and I believe in the fundamental technology. I am a chemist who's been working in pharma/biotech discovery-phase science for over 20 years, and have taken an interest in the mRNA vaccines as well as mRNA therapeutics research for the past year - they are clearly one of the biggest developments of the past 20 years and are really just beginning to make their impact.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:04 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
It’s speculative in the sense that, in my opinion, you’re overstating the unknowns. Sure, the data is not ‘complete’, but short of a ‘black swan’ turn the current knowns suggest these vaccines are free of long term health impacts (aside from reduced efficacy and the associated exposure risk).

Mainly, I’m concerned people dumber than you will infer too much from your comments.

I'm not overstating anything. I'm just saying that there is a non-zero probability that at least one of the vaccines has some kind of long term safety issue. Nobody can say with 100% assurance that there won't be an issue since we have zero data. My opinion, which has no basis at all, is that it's highly unlikely but that's just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts