Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2021, 09:30 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I don't see a valid reason to pursue the J&J over the available mRNA options for the general public.
I think the one benefit of the J&J is the 1-shot deal. Depending on who you are, this can be appealing to some, and unnecessary for many others.

I know my 99 year old grandmother who hasn't left the house in a year is on a list to have the vaccine administered via home healthcare in about a weeks time. The vaccine was supposed to be the J&J version. 1 shot and done. One single exposure risk. Only one visit required so the home healthcare agency can then make more visits to different people. Obviously this is on hold now, or will be changed to the 2-shot vaccine.

Some with health anxieties may also prefer the 1 shot over two, especially if they have a "bad" experience after the first shot, or might have a mild reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 10:09 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I know my 99 year old grandmother who hasn't left the house in a year is on a list to have the vaccine administered via home healthcare in about a weeks time. The vaccine was supposed to be the J&J version. 1 shot and done. One single exposure risk. Only one visit required so the home healthcare agency can then make more visits to different people. Obviously this is on hold now, or will be changed to the 2-shot vaccine.
Efficacy of the Pfizer after 1 round is 80%. I can see a cost savings and transport argument, but not an exposure risk argument.

IMO, I think the state should have prioritized getting everyone or the 50+ crowd the first round versus getting the higher risk populations their second round. I realize I'm not the first to state this.

Old 04-14-2021, 11:05 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I'll be honest...I'm feeling lazy about getting vaccine. Making the appt, figuring out where to go, then making an appt for the next one. Ugh. Not to mention i'm behind on other dr appts and the dentist.
If you have pre-registered on the state site (takes 5 minutes) it's so easy. When you are eligible, you get a text or e-mail. Click on the link and schedule - less than 5 minutes. After you get the shot, you get another text or e-mail to schedule the second shot while you are sitting for your 15 minutes - less than 5 minutes.

BTW, it takes only a couple of minutes to schedule those other medical appointments as well.

You're right - you are being lazy. If you can take 5 minutes to post here, you can take 5 minutes to pre-register. Which reminds me - I gotta call my derm.

Old 04-14-2021, 11:50 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311
I'll be honest...I'm feeling lazy about getting vaccine. Making the appt, figuring out where to go, then making an appt for the next one. Ugh. Not to mention i'm behind on other dr appts and the dentist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
If you have pre-registered on the state site (takes 5 minutes) it's so easy. When you are eligible, you get a text or e-mail. Click on the link and schedule - less than 5 minutes. After you get the shot, you get another text or e-mail to schedule the second shot while you are sitting for your 15 minutes - less than 5 minutes.

BTW, it takes only a couple of minutes to schedule those other medical appointments as well.

You're right - you are being lazy. If you can take 5 minutes to post here, you can take 5 minutes to pre-register. Which reminds me - I gotta call my derm.

Alternatively, if you book your first shot with CVS, they automatically schedule your second for you.

Old 04-14-2021, 12:15 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Alternatively, if you book your first shot with CVS, they automatically schedule your second for you.
And with Walgreens...it won't let you schedule a first shot unless slots for both first & second shots are available. You book both at the same time, exactly (3 or 4) weeks apart.

Old 04-14-2021, 12:44 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
You can even book your 2nd shot with the local pharmacies as well. SO if you drove down to Natick/Gillette for shot #1, you can try and find something local to get the 2nd shot vs making that drive again.

It has become easier as more and more locations open up. I imagine that may change on the 19th.

Old 04-14-2021, 02:53 PM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
I keep reading that studies show those who've had covid only need one mRNA shot. The second doesn't provide any additional protection. France already recommends this approach. I'm hoping the CDC goes this route as more evidence builds. I'm waiting for FDA approval, anyway, but would be great if those of us who had covid only need one jab.

Old 04-14-2021, 03:24 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
My prediction is that MA will do Phase 4 Step 2 (everything open) at 3.5 million first dose (currently at 3.06) and 100% capacity roughly a month from then. Might have gotten there by Memorial Day if not for this J&J debacle.

Old 04-14-2021, 04:15 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I keep reading that studies show those who've had covid only need one mRNA shot. The second doesn't provide any additional protection. France already recommends this approach. I'm hoping the CDC goes this route as more evidence builds. I'm waiting for FDA approval, anyway, but would be great if those of us who had covid only need one jab.
If you want one jab just get one jab, it's not like they can force you there for the 2nd one. I hear there's quite a few no shows anyway.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:40 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
https://apnews.com/article/cdc-johns...74f5eb8b48ce8b

AP article says they are going to wait two weeks to "review" J&J. Which is perfect; the remaining people who haven't gotten a vaccine (and still might) will either have moved on to Pfizer/Moderna or will have scheduled an appointment with one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts