Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2021, 07:58 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times

Advertisements

Hospitalizations are down to 136. I believe that is a new low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 04:38 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Let me bring us back on topic!

33 new cases, 0 deaths. Man, I do hope we have turned the corner permanently!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/06/...ations-sunday/

Old 06-13-2021, 05:54 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Is this the first 0 death day since last March?

Old 06-13-2021, 05:57 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Is this the first 0 death day since last March?
No. There was a random zero death day in May.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/05...ly-vaccinated/

Old 06-13-2021, 06:16 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Data is wrong. There was a death in Hampden county but Barnstable had -1 deaths. I guess they have the ability to revive people on the Cape.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:17 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Good news from Novavax - they report that a preliminary analysis of their Phase III Covid-19 vaccine data shows 90% efficacy. And of course it's been evaluated during a later time period than the Moderna and BioNTech/Pfizer vaccines were, and when troublesome variants are more common. So it may be performing as well or better than the latter.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...ine-effective/

Old 06-14-2021, 05:22 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Left Boston at about 4:30 to head north for the weekend - traffic on 93 was the worst we’ve experienced since before the pandemic. Not quite pre-Covid Memorial Day weekend levels, but big backups until about the NH line.
I drove down to the Cape in the middle of last Thursday afternoon - it wasn't horrible traffic, but given the hour and the weekday, it was surprisingly bad. Lost at least half an hour due to the sluggishness on I-93 and the northern part of Rte 3.

Old 06-14-2021, 06:50 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
When it comes down to it we have the reopenings by the same point many of the international borders are not fully open. So as a result you got people that are staying more closer to home and that's jacking up prices and everything else. I still can't believe the Canadian border is an open and probably won't for at least the end of the summer. This of course also affects immigration going to Boston because if they can't come here they're not going to spend as much for money here.

Meanwhile the government is pumping in money and yet our interest rates really aren't that high so I'm betting we're going to have to have some form of inflation soon.

If the feds can pass an infrastructure bill that should help alleviate some of these concerns.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:28 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I still can't believe the Canadian border is an open and probably won't for at least the end of the summer.
It's not that surprising considering how far behind Canada is on their vaccination rates. Once they catch up, the border will be open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Meanwhile the government is pumping in money and yet our interest rates really aren't that high so I'm betting we're going to have to have some form of inflation soon.

If the feds can pass an infrastructure bill that should help alleviate some of these concerns.
Don't look now but inflation is already here. It has been creeping up for a long time and now is surging. Anyone paying attention to their normal expenditures knows this. The government measures of inflation are manipulated and not reliable.

Our government spending trillions of additional dollars is certainly not the solution to this and will add more fuel to the fire. That is why members of both parties are putting the partisan politics on hold (a bit) and taking a hard look at infrastructure bills.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:54 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
It's not that surprising considering how far behind Canada is on their vaccination rates. Once they catch up, the border will be open.

Don't look now but inflation is already here. It has been creeping up for a long time and now is surging. Anyone paying attention to their normal expenditures knows this. The government measures of inflation are manipulated and not reliable.

Our government spending trillions of additional dollars is certainly not the solution to this and will add more fuel to the fire. That is why members of both parties are putting the partisan politics on hold (a bit) and taking a hard look at infrastructure bills.
Central banks keep claiming this is a temporary supply chain-driven issue and not a demand-driven issue ... and while they're obviously more qualified than I to cast that judgement, I can't help but feel a decade plus of cheap liquidity and rising COL laid the foundation for more permanent inflation.

I tend to agree with Campbell Harvey's assessment that some inflation is purely transitory (e.g., lumber/building materials), but the COL and wage increases being seen over the past 24 months are likely 'sticky' and will fuel elevated inflation numbers even as supply chain-driven inflation eases. He's not the sole respected economist beating this drum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts