Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2021, 06:38 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times

Advertisements

Anyone here have concerns about the delta variant? It's been around in Massachusetts since April and how our numbers have been trending down since gives me some optimism we can avoid another flareup but boy that variant sounds scary. The Pfizer vaccine so far seems to work well against it after two doses and likewise the similar Moderna vaccine but I have concern about the effectiveness of the J & J one dose vaccine against this powerful variant. So far, there has been no relevant data regarding the J & J vaccine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 08:57 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Anyone here have concerns about the delta variant?
No. The vaccines (as well as natural immunity from having COVID-19) are protective against all known variants. Don’t worry though. There will be a new variant for people to worry about next week.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:11 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
No. The vaccines (as well as natural immunity from having COVID-19) are protective against all known variants. Don’t worry though. There will be a new variant for people to worry about next week.
We only have good data with respect to the Indian Delta variant for Pfizer. The Brits report it’s 88% effective.

It’s pretty likely that the high transmission rate of the Delta variant will cause outbreaks in poorly vaccinated areas. At some level, I’m doing the Grumpy Cat “Good”. I view it as everyone’s civic duty to get vaccinated. We’ll probably have hundreds of Darwin Award winners every day later in the year.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:48 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Waiting for the 'need more data' crowd to come around to this fact, along with wrapping their heads around 306m doses given and the most severe risks still being the off chance of anaphylaxis or TTS.

(they won't).

Old 06-11-2021, 07:15 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Anyone here have concerns about the delta variant? .
I thought the Globe said it was first detected here in March? In any case, it's been here for a bit already and our COVID case numbers are plummeting while "vaccinated" totals continue the slow tick upward. I'm not at all concerned. At this point, there's no reason that any adult who wants the vaccine should not have been able to get it. Every single person (even the COVID skeptics) in my close circle has been vaccinated. Odds are that it's a non-issue for my family/friends/coworkers. And for those who may be impacted (at least here in MA), it's no longer a matter of misfortune; it's a choice.

Old 06-11-2021, 07:40 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I thought the Globe said it was first detected here in March? In any case, it's been here for a bit already and our COVID case numbers are plummeting while "vaccinated" totals continue the slow tick upward. I'm not at all concerned. At this point, there's no reason that any adult who wants the vaccine should not have been able to get it. Every single person (even the COVID skeptics) in my close circle has been vaccinated. Odds are that it's a non-issue for my family/friends/coworkers. And for those who may be impacted (at least here in MA), it's no longer a matter of misfortune; it's a choice.
We genetic sequence so few samples that it’s hard to say when it got here. It was identified last October. We were doing enough last winter to slow down community spread so some cases might have occurred earlier in the winter but didn’t spread. It’s embarrassing that our public health infrastructure is so poor. The UK has a much more accurate data set on B.1.167.2.

Old 06-11-2021, 08:58 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
I know this has been in the news recently, especially after the vaccine became available for 12 - 15 year olds, but seems like the myocarditis issue linked to vaccines is getting worse and not better:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-says-n1270339

Old 06-11-2021, 09:13 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I know this has been in the news recently, especially after the vaccine became available for 12 - 15 year olds, but seems like the myocarditis issue linked to vaccines is getting worse and not better:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-says-n1270339
It’s worth investigating, but the numbers are still low and myocarditis from an immune response is hardly uncommon. A common cold or flu can trigger it as well in certain individuals. I think it is worth considering the risk/reward for children, but that risk assessment ought to include transfer to higher risk populations.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:33 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Not again...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/othe...cid=uxbndlbing

I'd argue those for bitcoin tend to not be vaccinated as part of the libertarian argument. So a large gathering of non vaccinated people in Florida, what's the worst that can happen?

Old 06-11-2021, 09:57 AM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Not again...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/othe...cid=uxbndlbing

I'd argue those for bitcoin tend to not be vaccinated as part of the libertarian argument. So a large gathering of non vaccinated people in Florida, what's the worst that can happen?
The unvaxxed behavior will become Darwinism at its finest. I've stopped being empathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts