Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2021, 05:23 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Provincetown July 4th outbreak

551 cases now

70% are vaccinated breakthrough cases

88% are men. Average age is 39.

53 tests were sent in for additional testing. All 53 came back as delta variant.

Source: saw this on Providence Channel 10 news
Before anyone gets unnecessarily panicked, these data are pretty meaningless without the appropriate context. We have known since the beginning that the vaccines are not 100% effective. It should not be surprising that there are breakthrough cases.

The percentage of "vaccinated breakthrough cases" in particularly is misleading. If 100% of the population were vaccinated, 100% of cases would be breakthrough cases. All the research suggests that the Pfizer vaccine is still about 90% effective against the delta variant[1]. The same is true with the age and sex results; it shouldn't be a surprise that Provincetown has transmission among younger men. I'm sure if they reported the proportion of LGBT cases relative to the population as a whole it would lead to similarly unwarranted conclusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
I wouldn't suggest academic covid papers as great bedtime reading for anyone with even the slightest bit of insomnia.
I wouldn't recommend reading the internet if you're prone to being terrified. There is a lot of speculative garbage out there. Peer-reviewed papers are almost always dry and have muted conclusions, and, at least for me require actually thinking about stuff in a way that can't be done when I'm sleepy. The popular media account of a paper is generally a lot more inflammatory than the actual paper. I have a friend who is constantly screaming on Facebook about what HIS OWN UNIVERSITY overstates about his research on what is a far less controversial field.

[1]https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2108891

Quote:
Effectiveness after one dose of vaccine (BNT162b2 or ChAdOx1 nCoV-19) was notably lower among persons with the delta variant (30.7%; 95% confidence interval [CI], 25.2 to 35.7) than among those with the alpha variant (48.7%; 95% CI, 45.5 to 51.7); the results were similar for both vaccines. With the BNT162b2 vaccine, the effectiveness of two doses was 93.7% (95% CI, 91.6 to 95.3) among persons with the alpha variant and 88.0% (95% CI, 85.3 to 90.1) among those with the delta variant. With the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine, the effectiveness of two doses was 74.5% (95% CI, 68.4 to 79.4) among persons with the alpha variant and 67.0% (95% CI, 61.3 to 71.8) among those with the delta variant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 05:28 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times
I'd very much like to know what the factors were which led to this outbreak in Provincetown. It's the first cluster of cases that I've heard of where most of the victims are vaccinated--could it happen elsewhere, or is there something unique that made it possible? And of course, we want to know that the people who caught the disease will recover, the way they say breakthrough cases usually do.

Edited to add this link, which I found later:
https://abcnews.go.com/US/provinceto...ry?id=79052632

Last edited by Amontillado; 07-26-2021 at 06:00 AM..

Old 07-26-2021, 06:44 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
I'd very much like to know what the factors were which led to this outbreak in Provincetown.
Given PTown, sex probably. Should be testing them for more than just Covid.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:09 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Given PTown, sex probably. Should be testing them for more than just Covid.
Perhaps Peter Duesberg can add Covid to his list of imagined diseases induced by gay-men taking 'poppers'.

/s

Old 07-26-2021, 07:19 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times
Yes, that is a possibility. If sexual behavior can spread COVID, then everyone needs to be aware of it. So far I think it's just been seen as a question of getting close to someone else, but maybe there's more to it. It will take a while to record all the details of how this disease spreads. That's especially important for anything that affects people who think they're protected by the vaccine.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:46 AM

5,111 posts, read 2,668,728 times
This obviously comes as a surprise to some, but I can assure you that people are having sex all over the world, not just PTown.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:00 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I think i read that of the 550ish cases, 3 are hospitalized. 1 of those is confirmed vaccinated, and it was mentioned they will likely be released from the hospital shortly.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:06 AM

16,402 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
This obviously comes as a surprise to some, but I can assure you that people are having sex all over the world, not just PTown.
Yes, but an area like P-Town is simply just well known as a place for people to 'hook up' though. I'm sure people are letting their guard down more now that they are vaccinated. Obviously swapping saliva is going to enhance the risks moreso than just walking by someone or talking to them.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:09 AM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
Yes, that is a possibility. If sexual behavior can spread COVID, then everyone needs to be aware of it. So far I think it's just been seen as a question of getting close to someone else, but maybe there's more to it. It will take a while to record all the details of how this disease spreads. That's especially important for anything that affects people who think they're protected by the vaccine.
I think the implication is not sex itself (as in, exchange of fluids), but the circumstances surrounding sexual encounters (unmasked, very close physical contact, extended exposure time). No one is inferring a new transmission mechanism!

Old 07-26-2021, 08:10 AM

5,111 posts, read 2,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Yes, but an area like P-Town is simply just well known as a place for people to 'hook up' though. I'm sure people are letting their guard down more now that they are vaccinated. Obviously swapping saliva is going to enhance the risks moreso than just walking by someone or talking to them.
You can apply that logic to every bar and club in every city in the state, dozens of beaches, and a plethora of phone apps.

Edit: What PTown does have is a lot of older people (median age 52) and I would also guess there might be a higher concentration of people with compromised immune systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts