Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2021, 03:57 PM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Well I mean really..how is covid bad for the brain but something like the common cold, flu, pneumonia, norovirus are not? What exactly about Covid has a negative affect on the brain but these other illnesses do not? It feels like this is just adding to the fear mongering.
As I mentioned earlier, the correlation can be established with pretty basic statistics about the prevalence of pathologies in Covid-19 patients versus the same pathologies in the general public.

It sounds like you're also asking about what the mechanism of damage might be. This is not simple to understand and may take a good deal of time (a year or more) to establish definitively even with the great worldwide research emphasis on Covid-19 right now. However, there are *some* indications that the virus may cause damage directly by crossing the blood brain barrier and invading the central nervous system - gaining access to the brain. Furthermore, it's known that many of the worst problems experienced by those with a serious course of disease are caused by an over-exuberant inflammatory response by the body and the ensuing immune system attack on tissues, which can cause both destruction of our cells as well as other pathologies including inappropriate clotting - clots in the vasculature can block the circulation of blood to the tissues served by these vessels, which can impair the affected cells and/or cause their death. As someone else mentioned the vascular endothelium - the blood vessel lining, is known to be attacked by both the virus and by the immune system's inflammatory response and besides the damage there, the ensuing chemical signaling can stimulate clotting broadly, which is bad news. Both gross clots of major vessels in the brain (causing a stroke) as well as microclots -smaller but more widespread clots, have been observed.

This is absolutely not "fearmongering", these are scientific findings that have been observed in many patients - symptomatically and with brain imaging verifying underlying physical damage there. Autopsies of some deceased patients show more directly the damage done. The sorts of things I have been describing have been documented by scientists and doctors around the world.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 07-27-2021 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 08:35 PM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Here's a list of places that will require you to show your covid vaccination card

https://www.google.com/amp/s/boston....e-provincetown

Old 07-27-2021, 08:43 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
The latest surge as viewed via wastewater. https://www.mwra.com/biobot/biobotdata.htm

Old 07-27-2021, 10:53 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
The latest surge as viewed via wastewater. https://www.mwra.com/biobot/biobotdata.htm
It's nice to see a graph which extends out long enough to have some context.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:06 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Looks like our latest surge is on par with Oct/Nov of last year.

SHould be a fun fall.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:16 AM

Ugh...my mother in law wants to come visit this september...kind of thinking this will be a way to get her to stay home...again.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:37 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Looks like our latest surge is on par with Oct/Nov of last year.

SHould be a fun fall.
Except that this year >60% of the population is vaccinated. I predict that this year's surge will be significantly smaller than last year's.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:46 AM

I hope so. The problem is that kids go back to school in the fall and none of them are vaccinated.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:00 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I hope so. The problem is that kids go back to school in the fall and none of them are vaccinated.
Kids were back in school last year and no one was vaccinated. In my district, the weeks after break were also the worst for COVID cases. While school is probably a bigger risk than an absolute quarantine, I think the school environment has lower transmission than what the average kid actually does.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:47 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Except that this year >60% of the population is vaccinated. I predict that this year's surge will be significantly smaller than last year's.
One assumes. Even if case numbers do escalate the hospitalizations and deaths should be far lower ... particularly given the high vax rates amongst the highest risk groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts