Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2021, 09:54 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Cambridge, huh? Must be because of the low vaccination rate, caused by low education level. LOL

Clown world.
Makes a heckuva lot more sense than this piece of legislation in your state

https://www.cleveland.com/open/2021/...-vaccines.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 09:58 AM

4,661 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post

Great! Even more evidence for my claim that it is the places with the lowest vaccination rates that are going back to normal, and the places with the highest vaccination rates are determined to drag this on as long as possible.

I support Cambridge requiring masks by the way, just as I support broadcasting the Muslim call to prayer in Dearborn or Minneapolis. Freedom of religion, baby!

Old 07-23-2021, 09:59 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In the economic wasteland of the South Coast, I attribute the pathetic vaccination rate to education level. New Bedford is still at 42% fully vaccinated. 61% Biden, 37.2% Trump. 17% college educated adults. 25% don't even have high school diplomas. 36.8% don't speak English at home. I suspect the state did a heck of a lot more community outreach in the similar demographic places inside 495. In the early public vaccination days after they were done with nursing homes and health care workers, the closest place to get vaccinated was an hour away in Gillette.
I suspect you're right. We're at 66% in Boston. 64% of the white, 50% of the black, 52% of the Hispanic, and 75.5% of the Asian populations have received the vaccine. My neighborhood is majority Hispanic. There's Spanish language vaccine and general COVID health signage every 5 feet, mobile clinics are visible all over the neighborhood every day, there are pop-up sites, etc. I think these efforts have been effective. I agree with education being the great difference maker though. In Boston vs. New Bedford, there are gaps in the percentages of each demographic in terms of % vaccinated. The closest is the black population where the margin is a mere 4% (50% in Boston, 46% in New Bedford). But among whites and Asians (where I think the education divide is likely the greatest between the two cities), that gap is pretty drastic - about 19% for whites and (64% for Boston, 45% for New Bedford) 25% for Asian (75% in Boston, 50% in New Bedford). Campaigns help, but education is a bigger factor.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:05 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
In the economic wasteland of the South Coast, I attribute the pathetic vaccination rate to education level. New Bedford is still at 42% fully vaccinated. 61% Biden, 37.2% Trump. 17% college educated adults. 25% don't even have high school diplomas. 36.8% don't speak English at home. I suspect the state did a heck of a lot more community outreach in the similar demographic places inside 495. In the early public vaccination days after they were done with nursing homes and health care workers, the closest place to get vaccinated was an hour away in Gillette.
For demographics like New Bedford I would agree, though I don’t think education level is the sole driver for certain NB populations.

The ~40% in Harvard MA who remain unvaccinated? Likely highly educated and not consuming Bret Weinstein’s anti-vax rhetoric on Tucker Carlson. My town, Sterling, has lower educational attainment, income, and leans much further right and yet it has a 10% higher vaccination rate.

I think it ultimately comes down to ones ability to assess risk. Education level is certainly a huge driver, but ideology can ultimately push otherwise high IQ individuals into irrational or selfish positions.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 07-23-2021 at 10:17 AM..

Old 07-23-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Great! Even more evidence for my claim that it is the places with the lowest vaccination rates that are going back to normal, and the places with the highest vaccination rates are determined to drag this on as long as possible.

I support Cambridge requiring masks by the way, just as I support broadcasting the Muslim call to prayer in Dearborn or Minneapolis. Freedom of religion, baby!
Let's see. So blocking a lifesaving vaccine from being required by schools will make things get back to "normal" more quickly. I suppose if your definition of "normal" is continued pain and death, and always having this disease around forever.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:49 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:

Shouldn't it be GuardiansCavsBrowns? LOL!

Is Guardians the racoon, the muscle guy, the green chick, and the talking tree?
--Starlord, out

Old 07-23-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Let's see. So blocking a lifesaving vaccine from being required by schools will make things get back to "normal" more quickly. I suppose if your definition of "normal" is continued pain and death, and always having this disease around forever.
Yes, because the lack of normal is not caused by the now-endemic seasonal virus that everyone who wants a vaccine for already has one; it is caused by the continued hysteria over said virus and resulting morass of confused restrictions, with no clear end game.

The last sentence of your post is hysterical tripe and not worth responding to.

Old 07-23-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Shouldn't it be GuardiansCavsBrowns? LOL!

Is Guardians the racoon, the muscle guy, the green chick, and the talking tree?
--Starlord, out
Here we go Guardies, here we go!!

Old 07-23-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, because the lack of normal is not caused by the now-endemic seasonal virus that everyone who wants a vaccine for already has one; it is caused by the continued hysteria over said virus and resulting morass of confused restrictions, with no clear end game.

The last sentence of your post is hysterical tripe and not worth responding to.
That's the problem. This isn't about "wants", it's a public health issue. It's a need for everyone to get vaxxed. Even the red state Governors are (too late) waking up to this reality.

Old 07-23-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
That's the problem. This isn't about "wants", it's a public health issue. It's a need for everyone to get vaxxed. Even the red state Governors are (too late) waking up to this reality.
It's not a "problem" that the virus isn't dangerous enough, in the context of us already having lived with it for a year and a half AND us having free vaccines available to anyone who feels they're at risk, to warrant mandates/restrictions any longer -- it's a blessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts