Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2021, 11:42 AM

943 posts, read 410,163 times

Advertisements

Covid outbreak in Provincetown, with many vaccinated having tested positive (but supposedly experiencing mostly mild symptoms; I really would like the definition of "mild", or the earlier use of moderate for this cluster; does it just mean not hospitalized?). https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/07/...-4th-advisory/
They are back to recommending masks in crowded indoor locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 12:31 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Covid outbreak in Provincetown, with many vaccinated having tested positive (but supposedly experiencing mostly mild symptoms; I really would like the definition of "mild", or the earlier use of moderate for this cluster; does it just mean not hospitalized?). https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/07/...-4th-advisory/
They are back to recommending masks in crowded indoor locations.
You know, this is never going to be truly over if they are going to keep bringing back the mask mandate and/or lockdowns for every little outbreak.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:49 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
You know, this is never going to be truly over if they are going to keep bringing back the mask mandate and/or lockdowns for every little outbreak.
That's why if they bring it back again, they should make a point of not lifting it too early which I think they obviously did this time around.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:59 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
I think if mask mandates allow us to figure out what to do about the millions of immunocompromised individuals in the US (third shot? Periodic antibody treatment?...), and to vaccinate kids, I am all for it. I hate saying "f*** you" to such a large part of society, just so that I don't have to experience a minor inconvenience. There are many millions that are currently unprotected by their vaccinations that, in the absence of covid, would be able to lead long and productive lives (and even for those that may not have many years left, they may still treasure whatever time they have left)
The CDC also should stop the BS about the vaccinated being safe and not transmitting. Tell us the truth for once - so far, with the current strains, the vaccinated are relatively safe from death (which, at least to me, personally, still makes vaccination more than worth it!!). Here is a disturbing account about what's currently happening in the UK, and what is surely in our future: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-feel-so-angry
Over 50% in hospital are vaccinated, albeit less sick than they would have been before the vaccine.
I am also somewhat concerned that letting covid spread so widely amongst the vaccinated will create strains that evade vaccine protection.

Old 07-19-2021, 01:33 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That's why if they bring it back again, they should make a point of not lifting it too early which I think they obviously did this time around.
This seems to miss the point of the current vaccination effort. Few, if any, credible epidemiologists/virologists willing to publicly share their opinions argued the vaccines would rid society of break through infections. Reduce? Yes, but not prevent entirely.

This was and remains about risk reduction, not eradication. Despite all of the fear-mongering regarding the Delta variant, the reality is hospitalization rates within the state remain incredibly low despite society being wide open. IMO, at this point the focus should be on immunizing the remaining unvaccinated and providing boosters for the immune compromised.

I'm personally wearing a mask were a appropriate (e.g., when requested, around identifiable higher risk unvaccinated), but otherwise I'm mask-off because I've yet to see any bit of data suggesting my two rounds of Moderna doesn't significantly lower my already low risks. This is the new normal.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 07-19-2021 at 01:42 PM..

Old 07-19-2021, 01:34 PM

16,406 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Provincetown issues mask advisory due to spike:

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavi...y-covid-spike/

Old 07-19-2021, 01:46 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Provincetown issues mask advisory due to spike:

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavi...y-covid-spike/

I imagine infective dose has a lot to do with infecting outbreaks and vaccinated people. It's not like people go to P-town to stand far apart...

Old 07-19-2021, 02:31 PM

6,130 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
I think if mask mandates allow us to figure out what to do about the millions of immunocompromised individuals in the US (third shot? Periodic antibody treatment?...), and to vaccinate kids, I am all for it. I hate saying "f*** you" to such a large part of society, just so that I don't have to experience a minor inconvenience. There are many millions that are currently unprotected by their vaccinations that, in the absence of covid, would be able to lead long and productive lives (and even for those that may not have many years left, they may still treasure whatever time they have left)
The CDC also should stop the BS about the vaccinated being safe and not transmitting. Tell us the truth for once - so far, with the current strains, the vaccinated are relatively safe from death (which, at least to me, personally, still makes vaccination more than worth it!!). Here is a disturbing account about what's currently happening in the UK, and what is surely in our future: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-feel-so-angry
Over 50% in hospital are vaccinated, albeit less sick than they would have been before the vaccine.
I am also somewhat concerned that letting covid spread so widely amongst the vaccinated will create strains that evade vaccine protection.
You know, it would have been so easy for the federal govt to have put some teeth behind the May 14 guidance, by way of a method that could be used by businesses to ensure compliance. Israel did it first, NY did it, CA did it, and now France is requiring it. What? A QR code, or vaccine passport. Simple--scan it at the door to gain admission unmasked. No vax, you must mask.

By leaving it up to the honor system, we've basically let unvaccinated people be even more careless than before. What's happening now could have been foreseen. I don't blame the CDC, it's not their job to ensure compliance.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:42 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I imagine infective dose has a lot to do with infecting outbreaks and vaccinated people. It's not like people go to P-town to stand far apart...
The current thinking regarding the Delta variant is that it's more transmissible because there's more of it, more quickly after initial exposure. Assuming this is true, yeah, a lack a social distancing would certainly exacerbate the issue.

Despite claims online, there's no reason to believe the Delta variant is 'more airborne' (whatever that is supposed to mean) or leads to a worse disease if a break through infection occurs.

Old 07-19-2021, 04:58 PM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Default Study on Delta Variant in Scotland

Here is a summary from a recent paper published in The Lancet "SARS-CoV-2 Delta VOC in Scotland: demographics, risk of hospital admission, and vaccine effectiveness", June 14, 2021

"In summary, we show that the Delta [variant of concern] VOC in Scotland was found mainly in younger, more affluent groups. Risk of COVID-19 hospital admission was approximately doubled in those with the Delta VOC when compared to the Alpha VOC, with risk of admission particularly increased in those with five or more relevant comorbidities. Both the Oxford–AstraZeneca and Pfizer–BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines were effective in reducing the risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection and COVID-19 hospitalisation in people with the Delta VOC, but these effects on infection appeared to be diminished when compared to those with the Alpha VOC."

See:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...358-1/fulltext
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts