Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2021, 12:22 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times

Advertisements

I just saw this on CNN:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/13/healt...day/index.html

"Just as health experts predicted, the combination of unvaccinated people and the more contagious Delta strain of coronavirus has led to new Covid-19 surges.

In 45 states, the rates of new cases this past week are at least 10% higher than the rates of new cases the previous week, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

In 34 states, new cases this past week are at least 50% higher than new cases the previous week."

I didn't get a clear idea of how we're doing relative to other states, but I'd bet that we're among the states with the smallest rise in cases, or maybe we've managed to keep dropping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 12:43 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
I

I didn't get a clear idea of how we're doing relative to other states, but I'd bet that we're among the states with the smallest rise in cases, or maybe we've managed to keep dropping.

The NY Times has Massachusetts 14 day change as +179%. The 14-day average daily cases on June 12th was 146. The state average per 100,000 is 2. So it's really low but probably up some. There isn't enough testing to know for sure and we certainly aren't picking up many (most?) of the asymptomatic cases.

There are ~ 20 states at 2 per 100,000 or less. Massachusetts is middle of the pack of those. There are 13 states in double digits per 100,000 with Arkansas at 27 per 100,000 showing how it's done in anti-vax land.

Old 07-13-2021, 04:51 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I got into a little bit of discussion this morning about liabilities. Believe it or not it appears that Montana has somehow been able to call non-vaccinated people protected class.

https://www.jacksonlewis.com/publica...rotected-class

This is plain freaking nuts. A protected class is supposed to be the way how people are born and they cannot change that in that it is what they are. For example an employer can't say we don't hire women because guess what people are born as women in the same with race and sexual preference and increasingly with transgender rights. They're trying to drag this out and claim it's like a Dred Scott case with separate but equal. You cannot have a condition that can be transmitted to other people and then say that you can't tell me the tell you if I'm vaccinated or not and I want to come into work without any repercussions. This is crazy.

If we can't logically require vaccinations in terms of access to employment then by default the only thing we can do is test people if they have it. I'm not against testing but this is going to slow things down dramatically. What's the point of developing a vaccine if there is such stupidity out there? What's next to go against testing as well and they think that it's a protected class actually have it?

Old 07-13-2021, 06:02 PM

4,661 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I got into a little bit of discussion this morning about liabilities. Believe it or not it appears that Montana has somehow been able to call non-vaccinated people protected class.

https://www.jacksonlewis.com/publica...rotected-class

This is plain freaking nuts. A protected class is supposed to be the way how people are born and they cannot change that in that it is what they are. For example an employer can't say we don't hire women because guess what people are born as women in the same with race and sexual preference and increasingly with transgender rights. They're trying to drag this out and claim it's like a Dred Scott case with separate but equal. You cannot have a condition that can be transmitted to other people and then say that you can't tell me the tell you if I'm vaccinated or not and I want to come into work without any repercussions. This is crazy.

If we can't logically require vaccinations in terms of access to employment then by default the only thing we can do is test people if they have it. I'm not against testing but this is going to slow things down dramatically. What's the point of developing a vaccine if there is such stupidity out there? What's next to go against testing as well and they think that it's a protected class actually have it?
Are you asking what's the point in having a vaccine if you can't force everyone to take it? That's kind of...interesting.

Is there no point to having the flu vaccine, since few people outside of hospitals and HR departments give a crap whether anyone takes that or not?

Old 07-13-2021, 06:39 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
I just saw this on CNN:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/13/healt...day/index.html

"Just as health experts predicted, the combination of unvaccinated people and the more contagious Delta strain of coronavirus has led to new Covid-19 surges.

In 45 states, the rates of new cases this past week are at least 10% higher than the rates of new cases the previous week, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

In 34 states, new cases this past week are at least 50% higher than new cases the previous week."

Oh we are definitely going up. Before the Fourth of July, MA was trending in double digits. We're now up to 191 confirmed cases with a 0.62% positivity. % positivity was recently as low as 29-30%.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/co...onse-reporting

I also like how CTV News compares each state and province daily. Massachusetts was ranked #50 as recently as last week with Vermont as #51. We were at #45 yesterday and now we are up to #43. Slowly but surely we are trending up and that's not good.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ates-1.5051033

Old 07-14-2021, 07:40 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Mostly unvaccinated i assume?

You'd think that would be a telling statistic that authorities would love to use to their advantage, but it's hard to find out information on this. From what i can see, it does appear that the vast majority of new cases are unvaccinated persons, but it's hard to tell where this data is being pulled from. Is it voluntary? Is it pulled from medical records? Is it total number of cases, or a small segment of the total cases that this number is being derived from.

I think it would be pretty telling if there was information being relayed that said "99.2% of all new cases are among unvaccinated persons. 99.8% of all deaths are unvaccinated." and there was solid data to back that up.

My gut tells me that there likely isn't. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these 99% unvaccinated statements are obtained by asking 1000 people and inferring that trend follows the general pop

Old 07-14-2021, 10:08 AM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
A scary article about the covid surge starting in some regions of the US. https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/13/us/us...als/index.html (well, I suspect we are starting the surge, too, but are still at low levels)
Oh, and they claim that in Mississippi, 7% of deaths are in vaccinated people - which, if true, would seem to be a lot as the state is only 33% fully vaccinated.

Old 07-14-2021, 10:39 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

You'd think that would be a telling statistic that authorities would love to use to their advantage, but it's hard to find out information on this. From what i can see, it does appear that the vast majority of new cases are unvaccinated persons, but it's hard to tell where this data is being pulled from. Is it voluntary? Is it pulled from medical records? Is it total number of cases, or a small segment of the total cases that this number is being derived from.

I think it would be pretty telling if there was information being relayed that said "99.2% of all new cases are among unvaccinated persons. 99.8% of all deaths are unvaccinated." and there was solid data to back that up.

My gut tells me that there likely isn't. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these 99% unvaccinated statements are obtained by asking 1000 people and inferring that trend follows the general pop
Not sure why you're suspecting the stats. The DPH just released these. It's pretty darn compelling if you ask me. 0.1% of the vaccinated have contracted COVID in MA.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/07/...ncredibly-low/

Old 07-14-2021, 12:06 PM

12,865 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

COVID Vaccinations in MA are reported to the Department of Public Health. Since they're also collecting data on COVID infections, hospitalizations, deaths, etc. it seems like it shouldn't be too tall a task to cross reference the data.

*edit*
Nevermind - just saw htfdcolt's post.

Old 07-14-2021, 12:16 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
COVID Vaccinations in MA are reported to the Department of Public Health. Since they're also collecting data on COVID infections, hospitalizations, deaths, etc. it seems like it shouldn't be too tall a task to cross reference the data.

*edit*
Nevermind - just saw htfdcolt's post.
I can see where privacy issues might arise in smaller towns, if reporting on a town-by-town basis. But they should at least be able to remove that "stat", other than when reporting at a statewide level?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts