Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2021, 10:48 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Health care, nursing home residents, and public safety people who got vaccinated early probably need to start wondering about a booster shot. Very preliminary Israel data analysis is showing that the breakthrough infections trend to people who were vaccinated 6+ months ago. They're the only ones who are doing COVID-19 testing as part of contact tracing. I guess it's time to buy more Pfizer and Moderna stock?

There is an interesting ethical debate that needs to happen in using resources for boosters when so much of the world can't get even one shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 10:57 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I'm starting to have a bad feeling on the fall. Yeah the US is doing better than other countries and the northeast is doing well.. But

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/09/delt...ed-people.html

Read the whole article. I don't think that will work nearly as fast as we should. The fact that Africa is only 2% vaccinated and they represent about 20% of the world is telling. Then I think about India and Brazil and this really starts to add up. We should have made vaccines on a higher scale and deployed them faster. We're in a race against other variance and if those variance lead the other breakthroughs then we're not going to have a global reopening.

Domestically if we continue to have entire states with only a 30% vaccination I don't think it's going to go well. I have to wonder in some of these other states with a major employers are that are going to continue to allow people to come back to the office or they going to require vaccinations or simply go with more remote work.

We just had the 4th of July and I would argue within two to three weeks we should see some spread. How much that spread is going to be I don't know but if that becomes significant enough that we're doing the same thing we did last year. Next one's going to be Labor Day and you know how the holiday season goes.

I don't know how good the Chinese vaccine is. I know there's some that have had approval from the World Health Organization but from what I've been reading is it's not working.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/08/five...-vaccines.html

Foreign students on student visas have to get back to me it again with the US approved vaccine Academia is already saying they're going to have to be revaccinated once they get in.

Old 07-09-2021, 02:38 PM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Yeah it's been a bit hairy on what to do with kids...i've been having my kids put one on when we go inside somewhere which isn't often...plus most signs on stores say anyone not vaccinated has to wear a mask...i've seen plenty of kids not wearing masks...have there been any issues over this? My kids did a weekly camp this week where they were inside sometimes. They said masks are optional. The group of 10 kids that showed up to camp were not wearing masks.
We are in a few different camps this summer and they each have their own mask policies. I think all of them are requiring masks indoors. They are at a traditional day camp this month and take a bus there. Masks are required on the bus (even with all windows down) and required indoors. But if they are doing an outdoor activity, no masks are required. I think all camps we are signed up for this summer are eating outdoors when possible.

As far as the booster shot goes, I'm so eager to see some of this data. I'm still super curious as to how effective the vaccine is vs. natural antibodies. How long does each last? How effective is each at protecting against variants? I'm not opposed to getting a booster, but there are still so many unknowns at this point and the CDC always feels light years behind the research.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:16 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
We are in a few different camps this summer and they each have their own mask policies. I think all of them are requiring masks indoors. They are at a traditional day camp this month and take a bus there. Masks are required on the bus (even with all windows down) and required indoors. But if they are doing an outdoor activity, no masks are required. I think all camps we are signed up for this summer are eating outdoors when possible.

As far as the booster shot goes, I'm so eager to see some of this data. I'm still super curious as to how effective the vaccine is vs. natural antibodies. How long does each last? How effective is each at protecting against variants? I'm not opposed to getting a booster, but there are still so many unknowns at this point and the CDC always feels light years behind the research.

It's not conclusive yet. But with the data out of Israel suggesting the breakthrough infections are most often occurring in those vaccinated earlier on (6 months ago), makes me bet that a booster will be needed at least somewhere along the line.

Then there is this:

https://turnto10.com/news/coronaviru...searchers-find

"The French researchers also tested unvaccinated people who had survived a bout of the coronavirus, and found their antibodies were four-fold less potent against the new mutant. But a single vaccine dose dramatically boosted their antibody levels — sparking cross-protection against the delta variant and two other mutants, the study found. That supports public health recommendations that COVID-19 survivors get vaccinated rather than relying on natural immunity."

Old 07-09-2021, 06:00 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
the CDC always feels light years behind the research.
I have to say that this has been one of the biggest disappointments in his entire covid debacle in the US.

Old 07-09-2021, 06:23 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's not conclusive yet. But with the data out of Israel suggesting the breakthrough infections are most often occurring in those vaccinated earlier on (6 months ago), makes me bet that a booster will be needed at least somewhere along the line.
I]

Coworker of my sister (nurse) just tested positive for Covid. She had Pfizer back in Jan.

Old 07-09-2021, 06:55 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

That is definitely not out of the question. Flu vaccines generally protect against viruses for six months on average too I think. Coronaviruses are lot more like flu viruses than they are like measles or polio viruses. I got my second shot in May with the beginning of June as the actual start of immunity so I'm looking at around Thanksgiving for a booster shot if the doctors recommend it.

Old 07-09-2021, 07:40 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Coworker of my sister (nurse) just tested positive for Covid. She had Pfizer back in Jan.
Is she symptomatic or significantly ill?

Old 07-09-2021, 09:03 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Is she symptomatic or significantly ill?
That is not the only important factor here. Transmission is important as well, which we neglect to think about when we talk about the (so far still substantial) protection from severe illness and death. This is especially true for health care workers, who will be interacting with immuno-compromised individuals (and of course unvaccinated individuals - but many, rightly or wrongly, don't appear to care about them; of course, this group includes a huge share of disadvantaged individuals).

Old 07-10-2021, 05:28 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
I have to say that this has been one of the biggest disappointments in his entire covid debacle in the US.
It’s not so much that the CDC is behind, it’s that they are very slow to respond to the data. Institutional inertia. It took them forever to acknowledge aerosol transmission, for example. We also get lied to. “You don’t need a mask” was to prevent a rush on N95 PPE needed for hospitals. I suspect we’re being lied to now about booster shots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts