Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2021, 09:54 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Massachusetts stopped publishing the weekly by-town COVID-19 infection data.
They are still doing the weekly vaccination report for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 12:28 PM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
This is interesting, not in MA but a group of nurses chose not to get the vaccine because they felt it was rushed:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nurses-fi...202817653.html
A disturbing number of healthcare workers have refused to be vaccinated, despite the risks that they pose to their patients. It's more the nurses, techs and nursing aides though, rather than the doctors. I've seen them say all kinds of things - the vaccine is still experimental, the vaccine is dangerous and Covid-19 isn't, requiring healthcare workers to be vaccinated is a violation of their rights, etc. I haven't seen them say anything that's true, though.

Old 07-03-2021, 01:12 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
A disturbing number of healthcare workers have refused to be vaccinated, despite the risks that they pose to their patients. It's more the nurses, techs and nursing aides though, rather than the doctors. I've seen them say all kinds of things - the vaccine is still experimental, the vaccine is dangerous and Covid-19 isn't, requiring healthcare workers to be vaccinated is a violation of their rights, etc. I haven't seen them say anything that's true, though.
Employers in high risk settings, like healthcare, nursing homes etc. should absolutely require employee covid vaccination.

Old 07-03-2021, 01:38 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:

There's a pretty broad spectrum of qualifications for "nurse". You can get a CNA in 5 or 6 weeks. You can get an RN in four semesters at a community college and it's not particularly rigorous. It's a pyramid-shaped organization chart with a huge need for repetitive task staff to do basic patient care and a smaller number of high skill/highly trained staff who need critical thought capabilities. Not surprising that a lot of health care workers refuse to get vaccinated. At my mother's memory care facility, it was a real battle with the CNAs and support staff in the trenches. The place is a CCRC and has a huge amount of staff. They finally resorted to a cash bonus for anyone who got vaccinated.

Old 07-03-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
At my mother's memory care facility, it was a real battle with the CNAs and support staff in the trenches. The place is a CCRC and has a huge amount of staff. They finally resorted to a cash bonus for anyone who got vaccinated.
Nursing homes are literally a ****ty job... wiping old people's butts for Walmart wages. I guess you can't blame them for being apathetic to just about anything. A large chunk probably tested positive or think they got it at some point too. They may think they don't need the vaccine.

Old 07-03-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Nursing homes are literally a ****ty job... wiping old people's butts for Walmart wages. I guess you can't blame them for being apathetic to just about anything. A large chunk probably tested positive or think they got it at some point too. They may think they don't need the vaccine.
I don't think there's many of them at all who are refusing who *want* to infect their patients... but there clearly are a lot of healthcare workers who are poorly informed.

And for the people running the place, you can't just let people who pose a risk continue to handle patients - whether you educate staff, persuade them, bribe them or fire them, you need to do something. Patients suffering from their contact with staff should be abhorrent to those at any level in a healthcare facility and moreover, if they wind up with serious morbidity or even death - big lawsuits would be likely, and due.

Vaccine requirements for healthcare workers are actually nothing new.

Old 07-03-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Patients suffering from their contact with staff should be abhorrent to those at any level in a healthcare facility and moreover, if they wind up with serious morbidity or even death - big lawsuits would be likely, and due.
The vaccines not being fully approved would get companies off the hook, I think.

Old 07-03-2021, 02:53 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I couldn't get over the fact that a coworker was nervous about getting tested. She said she hasn't been tested yet and hasn't gotten the vaccine?!? what?!? Uh...I got tested every ten or so days, it's nothing. I seriously don't get what some people are waiting for.

Old 07-03-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
The vaccines not being fully approved would get companies off the hook, I think.
I don't think it will. I've heard people *say* that, but it's really just a formality at this point. The data, lots and lots of it, has long been in, and I have yet to hear anyone who is qualified agree with this assessment that it's "still experimental". In any case, there are those will try to use that as their defense for refusing the vaccine, and we're going to find out how that will go over in court.

Old 07-03-2021, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I don't think it will
For suing I think it absolutely does. I get the impression that most orgs don't agree with anyone saying that they have the authority to force employees to get it while it's still EUA.

One problem I can see is that J&J is very unlikely to get full approval. I don't know what will happen to it once Pfizer or Moderna gets the full approval. I think it will be gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts