Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 10:52 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
Building Hospitals?? Are you that out of touch with reality? ...

We as a society need to get back to work, school , play. Or we will just sit inside and decay.
I imagine most construction was permitted and financed some time ago and cannot just be dropped in the middle of things, both construction-wise and financially.

In my own little town here in Colorado, construction on private homes is continuing and real estate sales have not been closed down. The construction is very small scale here, a small home here and there, an addition to the small library. I see the workers outside, and they are not social distancing, but at least they're outside.

In the much more affluent ski town 35 miles away, real estate and construction have been shut down except for a needed supermarket remodel that was half done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 11:00 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
My whole point is that people are not going anywhere the way the were before regardless of what gets opened up. There’s no point in building more gyms, restaurants, offices or condos right now.

Real estate is still kicking but it’s in places that already exist.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:03 AM

Condos will not collapse in Boston. Rents and prices might come down, but they're not going to collapse. There's way too much money in the area and so much working from home.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:07 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
Building Hospitals?? Are you that out of touch with reality? And we need people working to keep the barely breathing economy afloat. And things should start opening back up mid May if we know what goods for our country. We won’t have to worry about what’s open or not if this keeps going longer than mid May. We’d have to start searching high and low just for basic things.

The longer we keep things closed and people out of work, foreclosures will skyrocket, auto repo’s will be common occurrence. People won’t be buying cellphones, or even having plans for that matter. Gym memberships will plummet.

We as a society need to get back to work, school , play. Or we will just sit inside and decay.
Not disagreeing necessarily, but I think the discussion is why is construction being deemed essential when there are good arguments that it shouldn't be. I haven't seen a cogent argument why.

ALso, all this faith being placed in the sanitary precautions being instituted at construction sites. I have to laugh. Have you SEEN how construction workers work?

Old 04-18-2020, 11:08 AM

There is more working from home. But if you’re working from home why buy a condo in Boston? I think you’re all mistaken if you think things will go back to how they were when this is over.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Not disagreeing necessarily, but I think the discussion is why is construction being deemed essential when there are good arguments that it shouldn't be. I haven't seen a cogent argument why.

ALso, all this faith being placed in the sanitary precautions being instituted at construction sites. I have to laugh. Have you SEEN how construction workers work?
The only reason to keep construction going at this moment is to keep people employed. That is it. Other than that it is absolutely not essential.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post

Heh. I WAS a construction worker back in 1978 (Carpenter's Apprentice in the union, Brother Brightdoglover!)! I have no faith that anyone is going to observe any sanitary precautions on construction sites, large or small. I think deeming construction as essential or not is a financial assessment, not a practical one of the need for new building.

I have followed housing for years around the Boston area and there doesn't seem to be any slowdown in sales and people moving. Anecdotal.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
The only reason to keep construction going at this moment is to keep people employed. That is it. Other than that it is absolutely not essential.
I agree.

The puffery about why it is essential (vs. many other shuttered businesses) and how the new worker precautions are all that's needed are a joke.

Don't take this as I believe we should be at a 100% shut down...I don't...just saying the determination of what is and is not essential has been not entirely logical.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Heh. I WAS a construction worker back in 1978 (Carpenter's Apprentice in the union, Brother Brightdoglover!)! I have no faith that anyone is going to observe any sanitary precautions on construction sites, large or small.
Exactly. I did some cosntruction and related jobs in the 80s and I laugh when I hear the big GCs talk about how a few extra handwash stations is all that's needed. LOL

Old 04-18-2020, 11:21 AM

Im not sure how the mayor and governor can justify that it’s essential really. We need more luxury condos? I really don’t get it other than to keep people employed

We aren’t at a complete shutdown anyways. Plenty of stores are still open. Plenty of business can still be done online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts