Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2020, 06:55 PM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
The state released a much more detailed analysis of everything

https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download

the major points are as follows

numbers are going down

This is really hitting those 80 years of age and older

the vast majority. I'm talking 95% + had preexisting conditions.

I predict some type of announcement that those 65 to maybe 70 and older just should stay in. I know some might still be working but the numbers clearly show this isn't much once those above the age of 65 are taken out. I've read all sorts of stuff on this but seeing raw numbers is just good. Early retirement plans should be offered and just have them stay home. It's not a age bias it's just what we see out here.

That's a pretty good breakdown. Even listed out the PPE donated by Kraft and the distribution of that.

Would be helpful if there was a breakdown of the preexisting conditions and what they are. "epilepsy" is considered a preexisting condition, so it would be helpful to know which ones are the critical ones other than the obvious ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 07:00 PM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
people who just want things to be how they were before all of this.
You really can't just flip a switch and say "everything's open" and it's right back to how it would be. You really need to earn consumer confidence to get people to go back to the gyms, and the restaurants, and the malls. I'm sure there's a (younger) population itching to go, but is it enough to keep the lights on?

As much as we need an escape right now, If they allowed vacation rentals tomorrow, i'd be hesitant to book, and sure as hell wouldn't want to book one with the kids who are far less disciplined with washing hands and not touching things they shouldn't and eating off the floor and such. I worry more about them getting it and giving it to us or our parents during a future visit, than myself getting it. In fact, I've been out and about almost every day without anxiety from this (knock on wood).

My wife and I have already concluded that this is the "summer of the yard" and won't be going anywhere despite what some people want to happen.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:02 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times
There is no going back to the "before" days, whether people stay home or not. It's the past. The new normal is shifting every day. It's a shock, and each day is a new shock in a new way. But open, closed or in between, the "before" is gone.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:06 PM

23,540 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I have no plans to change anything until there's a safe, working vaccine. IMO, reopening at this point is a huge mistake...and will be a disaster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I think there’s a great divide. People who want the shutdown/social distancing to continue and people who just want things to be how they were before all of this.
But in reality the answer is somewhere in the middle, even if the best option is not even a good one. A vaccine is over a year away, assuming if ever. We simply cannot survive in shut down mode for that long. I personally see a slow controlled opening around June, with an emphasis on being ready to pull the brakes again when a 2nd wave starts forming. Widespread testing and tracking is essential for that.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:17 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,402,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
the "before" is gone
In the short term yes, however eventually this will pass and life will go on similar to how it did 6 weeks ago for most. I have no idea how or how long (and anyone who claims to is delusional) however this too shall pass.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:18 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
In the short term yes, however eventually this will pass and life will go on similar to how it did 6 weeks ago for most. I have no idea how or how long (and anyone who claims to is delusional) however this too shall pass.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:24 PM

3,390 posts, read 1,545,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

"Churches, temples, mosques and other places of worship would also be exempt from the order, but faith-based gatherings would have to comply with the restrictions set forth by the state, including limiting gatherings to 10 people."
One source i gave was written by a Judge. But You will disregard his opinions because you don't like the source.

We dont have a lawyer here posting so discussions will be disputed. If a right can be suspended then its not a right .

As in terms of the one size fits all I mean that all of massechusetts is locked down along with most states. yes there are differences in small restrictions from state to state. As a other poster brought up if people knew that rural areas where open then people would flock to those areas to get the services or freedoms they are looking for then over populating those areas that are not restricted.

Yes every state has different details on the restrictions but for the most part we closed down a huge portion of the united states.

I am worried they will use these shutdowns and restrictions even after the virus is over. Gun shops for instance are closed down which is a violation of the second amendment. A lot might not be worried about loss of rights but there are people who do worry about a police state. There are alot of people even on the left that are worried about loss of rights.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 04-20-2020 at 07:41 PM..

Old 04-20-2020, 07:32 PM

512 posts, read 442,379 times
Interesting, I wonder why.

Massachusetts seen as a new coronavirus hot spot as cases surge
https://www.foxnews.com/health/massa...virus-hot-spot

Old 04-20-2020, 07:39 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
It's a shock, and each day is a new shock in a new way.
Well this is more than a little dramatic.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:42 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,191 times
I just don’t think this is going to pass quickly. I don’t think businesses will be opening May 4th given that it’s April 20th today and we’re in the thick of this. Even if businesses open in June which is likely the patronage won’t be what it has been previously. I foresee this being a quiet summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts