Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2020, 12:28 PM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Oil is crashing today, I think everyone is running out of places to store it. Could see under a dollar at the pump if this continues.

Just went negative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 12:32 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That's a good point.

We have a wedding in Maine in July. If Maine were to reopen fully given their low number of cases, I would say we were free to book our trip and get away for the weekend for the weekend.

But your point makes absolutely sense.

Really, if they want to localize the lockdowns, they will need to enforce travel restrictions. I don't see that happen given the right of Freedom of Movement in the US unless there is a public health clause I am not aware of.

As easy at it is for me to sit in my basement (except today where i'm in the office) getting my full paycheck telling people to stay home, I understand the desire to get out and restart the economy. At some point, we need to figure out a way to live with this for the next 12-18mos. Clearly where we are now doesn't work for everyone. I doublt fully doubt that people will get creative with some of the things they do to avoid contact. Back in Feb, when I first started to prepare our family for this, I didn't think we would see some of the things we are seeing in response to trying to manage life around the virus.
There are means to do it in the case of public heath, maybe under the Commerce clause or something like that? It's rarely used and pretty extreme, I think it might have last been implemented during the Spanish Influenza outbreak 100 years ago. Trump made brief mention in the possibility of restricting travel in and out of NY/NJ, although that never went anywhere. I'm sure the protests and discontent would go haywire if that were to happen these days.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:34 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Is there any word on whether people will still be able to do cape rentals this summer ?

Wondering whether to anticipate less crowds there this summer or not.

Old 04-20-2020, 01:25 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Is there any word on whether people will still be able to do cape rentals this summer ?

Wondering whether to anticipate less crowds there this summer or not.
Until the governor removes the order it's hard to say
https://www.wcvb.com/article/gov-det...-used/31995117

The thing is to be frank I'd argue that most short term rentals are for homeowners to gain some $$ and an easy way to get to vacation. I get that. But it's really hard to argue that this is all in state.

I don't think we've had in modern history a closing of state borders. Now islands can be easier to block but connected land not as much.
https://freebeacon.com/courts/can-st...es-wide-power/

Old 04-20-2020, 01:36 PM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
If it's any sort of consolation...the famous model has "predicted" today is the peak day for deaths, and we are 2 days past peak resource use.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite.../massachusetts

Still claiming the start of relaxing the measures would be June 8th.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:48 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Not MA specific, but very interesting

"USC and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (Public Health) today released preliminary results from a collaborative scientific study that suggests infections from the new coronavirus are far more widespread - and the fatality rate much lower - in L.A. County than previously thought..."

LISTING OF DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH PRESS RELEASES

Old 04-20-2020, 03:14 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Not MA specific, but very interesting

"USC and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (Public Health) today released preliminary results from a collaborative scientific study that suggests infections from the new coronavirus are far more widespread - and the fatality rate much lower - in L.A. County than previously thought..."

LISTING OF DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH PRESS RELEASES
While I generally agree that rates are likely lower than assumed early on, it should be noted that if one applies the lethality rates of this Cali study to NY, it implies the entire population of the city was/is more infected. That does not seem very plausible.

Old 04-20-2020, 03:16 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Well at least mayor Walsh has the balls to admit there won’t be school

Old 04-20-2020, 03:35 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Just went negative
It was an anomaly and it was for only a certain type of oil for delivery on a particular day in May. June contracts are around $21/barrel.

Old 04-20-2020, 04:56 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Well at least mayor Walsh has the balls to admit there won’t be school
The odd thing is from what I understand if Boston goes then the rest of the state does as well since it's the largest district. I don't think any smaller district can legitimately make the argument that going back to school is going to make a huge difference the last few weeks of this school year. The safe thing to do is just wait until Sept. Less exposure means less potential liability.

Just like states should pressure the democrats and republicans to cancel the rest of the primaries. Trump and Biden won...there's no way any votes can change either one but this leads to more exposure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts