Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 11:24 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
There is more working from home. But if you’re working from home why buy a condo in Boston? I think you’re all mistaken if you think things will go back to how they were when this is over.
To be able to live in Boston and enjoy all that it has to offer, if course. My bro and SIL are very much looking forward to moving back into the city once my youngest nephew is off for college. Most everyone I now would prefer to be in close urban core.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 11:26 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
To be able to live in Boston and enjoy all that it has to offer, if course.
We’ll see. My guess is that sales go down immensely.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:23 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is the same bizarre logic that tries to claim that shouting FIRE! in a crowded movie theater is exercising freedom of speech.
Let me educate you on the origins of that statement which had nothing to do with yelling fire in a crowded theater.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national...-quote/264449/

In 1969, the Supreme Court's decision in Brandenburg v. Ohio effectively overturned Schenck and any authority the case still carried. There, the Court held that inflammatory speech--and even speech advocating violence by members of the Ku Klux Klan--is protected under the First Amendment, unless the speech "is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action" (emphasis mine).

All speech is protected unless it immedietly incites violence.

When religious people want to gather the goverment can not infringe on that right. If in this case the church wanted to limit the amount of people in a church and have everyone stay 6 feet apart they could do that. They could hold more religious gatherings to keep the amount of people in a church lower .A governor can not create laws and can not stop people from getting together even if it could spread a virus. You can not have exceptions on freedom.

In michigan people assembled and could of spread more of the virus but the governor knew she could not do anything about it. They practiced their first amendment rights by protesting what the govenor was doing by shutting down buisness.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 04-18-2020 at 01:40 PM..

Old 04-18-2020, 03:20 PM

Florida schools cancelled for the year.

Old 04-18-2020, 04:16 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Just watched Dr. Birx in the daily press briefing. Repeatedly mentioned Boston & Massachusetts as areas they are continuing to watch (along with Chicago) as they are not seeing the curve start to bend yet.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:02 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
There is more working from home. But if you’re working from home why buy a condo in Boston? I think you’re all mistaken if you think things will go back to how they were when this is over.
The world has experienced many pandemics and people still live in cities. Why is this one any different? There is always going to be myopic management that insists all employees show up at the office every day. Work that creates intellectual property clusters in a small number of cities. Employees locate where the talent lives and near the world class universities which are mostly urban. In a couple of years, Boston will be the back to being impossible to get to work with people paying a huge premium to avoid the soul crushing commute. It’s not like those employers are going to move to logging truck Maine or some corn field in Iowa.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:08 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Just watched Dr. Birx in the daily press briefing. Repeatedly mentioned Boston & Massachusetts as areas they are continuing to watch (along with Chicago) as they are not seeing the curve start to bend yet.
And wait until you see the number of imbeciles out and about tomorrow.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:16 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The world has experienced many pandemics and people still live in cities. Why is this one any different? There is always going to be myopic management that insists all employees show up at the office every day. Work that creates intellectual property clusters in a small number of cities. Employees locate where the talent lives and near the world class universities which are mostly urban. In a couple of years, Boston will be the back to being impossible to get to work with people paying a huge premium to avoid the soul crushing commute. It’s not like those employers are going to move to logging truck Maine or some corn field in Iowa.
You never know. I think this pandemic will change cities, particularly Boston.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:17 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
And wait until you see the number of imbeciles out and about tomorrow.
Well I plan to go for a walk tomorrow. I haven’t left the damn house since last Sunday.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:18 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
You never know. I think this pandemic will change cities, particularly Boston.
I think serious thought might be given to some of the construction projects but otherwise no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts