Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2020, 11:03 AM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Mike, try Whole Foods via Amazon Prime. As forum member porterhouse pointed out, leave the time slot page open and refresh it every so often. It has worked for me. A time slot will open up.

I'd also recommend adding a lot of stuff to your cart. More than you probably want...because when a time slot eventually becomes available, you have to grab it and go directly to checkout and place the order. Product availability very likely will have changed and a bunch of items will get yanked from your cart. There's no opportunity to add more stuff; the time slot will be gone if you try to.

Edited to add: And unlike some other grocery delivery services, you can't make any changes after you place the order. The only option available is to cancel the entire order.
Perhaps things have changed. I've been refreshing for the past 24 hours and a time slot hasn't opened up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 11:07 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Does anyone think this will be extended beyond May 4?

May the fourth be with you
Oh yeah.

I don't think it will be "over" for a while. We might find a happy medium in between waves, but until a vaccine or herd immunity is in place, we could be operating in between outbreak clusters for some time.

Juggling work (I still go into office) and homelife with kiddos has been stressful to say the least. I've just accepted this is how it will be for a while and am fine with the measures taken as they may very well save the life of someone I've never met.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:24 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:

Don't you also work in higher ed?

I think if you're not having conversations about how to deliver coursework online this fall and how that will impact your unit, you're behind the curve.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:43 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The problem isn't with medical experts getting it wrong, it's with inaction on our part. And now that we're finally starting to get hints of results, it would be a mistake to change the strategy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
We're not going to stop the inaction because this is 'murica and we can't tell half this country what to do. I agree it has been a factor, and it will continue to be a factor. This is bringing out the worst in people, and I didn't even think that was possible before this outbreak. In fact, I'd say it is my complete and total lack of confidence in millions of Americans' ability to do the right thing when needed that makes me comfortable with accepting that the reality will be much closer to worst-case than best-case.
These statements are both very accurate and very infuriating.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:45 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:

I already posted the following. We are very much in stage 1 - we bungled the lead time and response (to put it mildly), so now we will pay a far higher price on many fronts, and for much longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Very simplistically, there are 4 stages, many of which overlap/are in parallel.

1. Understand what/where it is and how bad - more testing, understand prevalence, incidence, hospitalization rate, mortality, treatment paradigms, demographics, recovery rate etc etc. And do whatever is needed in the meantime to shut it down/prevent spread until we understand this, aka 'flattening the curve'.

2. Expanding medical and testing capabilities. Everything from building stock of PPEs, to expanding and reducing turn around time for RT-PCR, to developing high throughput IgM/IgG antibody tests to detect previous exposure, to exploring efficacy of other anti-virals and other therapies

3. Test the population with some result test/risk group basis for returning to work/general population. Be prepared to shut down/isolate future geographic surges that will absolutely occur.

4. Develop a vaccine and vaccinate everyone - initial data supports low mutation which means greater durability and probability of success.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:50 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yes the Bridges would be closer to non residents travelers.

Sorry you can’t use you’re 2nd home on the Cape I can’t do things I want to do right now.

You know the Islands between them have 1 ICU bed? Imagine if their population tripled from NYers and Bostonians coming in? It would be a total disaster.
Actually there are 3 on the Vineyard and none on Nantucket. Both those hospitals for the most part are triage, stabilize, and chopper out to Boston year round. Those ICU beds aren't for keeping someone for more than 24-48 hours.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:04 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
This is ruining the economy

I work at a university and there’s been talk of layoffs. They don’t want to got that route but they say the reality is that this has caused drastic changes and they only want people around who are absolutely necessary. There’s also now a hiring freeze.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:11 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Don't you also work in higher ed?

I think if you're not having conversations about how to deliver coursework online this fall and how that will impact your unit, you're behind the curve.
The dept that I’m in is completely online. It still has made planning difficult with other universities. We are focusing on corporations now. My dept is part of a larger dept that also does in person programs. Those depts are taking a hit. I saw an email sent to my boss that mentioned the possibility of layoffs even though they don’t want to go that route. There’s definitely a hiring freeze. All this in a matter of weeks.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:24 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
...All this in a matter of weeks.
My tenant here in mountain Colorado lost 80 percent of her income in one day- all her petsit clients cancelled in one day and her hours at the vet clinic were cut in half when elective surgeries were banned in the whole state. Her husband is considered an essential worker- he's a janitor at a coal mine that powers a utility 1 1/2 hours' drive away.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:28 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
This is ruining the economy

I work at a university and there’s been talk of layoffs. They don’t want to got that route but they say the reality is that this has caused drastic changes and they only want people around who are absolutely necessary. There’s also now a hiring freeze.

The economy is ruined by tens of thousands of people dying and millions sick and hospitals overrun and people able to become infected by talking to other people closer than 6 feet away. I think that covers most people.

You might consider that this is a life-changing world-changing ongoing event across the country and around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts