Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2020, 03:32 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
What concerns me is two things

1. Where is my vote in this? I mean we live in a "democracy" I am literally being imprisoned. Unable to get doctors appointments, unable to live my life. All because a select group of people *could* - die from a disease. That has never happened before and this illness just does not justify it.

2. These decisions are being led by pure irrational fear feelings stirred up by the MSM. The MSM controls this country now to our detriment.

Any honest assessment of what is going on is ignored. Yesterday I got a Move on e-mail trying to shut down the trump daily briefing. Why would they care about that? Because he might convince a few people to stop this insanity.
Are you serious? It's not that a "select group of people *could* die", anyone can die from this, that's pretty clear by now. Doctors, nurses, military personnel, police officers, fire fighters have died from this. The virus doesn't just seek out old people who you seem to think are dispensable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 03:42 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The economy is ruined by tens of thousands of people dying and millions sick and hospitals overrun and people able to become infected by talking to other people closer than 6 feet away. I think that covers most people.

You might consider that this is a life-changing world-changing ongoing event across the country and around the world.
I wish I could rep you again.

I am really disturbed by some of the comments on this thread that boil down (for me) to essentially, "eh, people are going to die, they are just old or defective anyway. the odds are in my favor, so I don't really care much."

Yes, the economy is taking a huge hit. Yes, it's terrible. But if they opened everything up, I can't even imagine the impact on both nation-wide mortality AND the economy.

There are truly some heartless people on C-D.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:47 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
I know people whose livelihoods are also being ruined. It’s possibly to feel bad for them and question all of this and still feel bad for people dying

Old 04-01-2020, 03:48 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Are you serious? It's not that a "select group of people *could* die", anyone can die from this, that's pretty clear by now. Doctors, nurses, military personnel, police officers, fire fighters have died from this. The virus doesn't just seek out old people who you seem to think are dispensable
I just saw a news blurb that a newborn baby in Hartford just died from it.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:54 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Anyone could die of anything. When I was a kid a classmate died of the flu. Someone got hit by a truck in a freak accident outside my workplace.

Should we stop all trucks? Should we homeschool children because they could die of the flu?

The death rate is tiny-- 2%

The only way anyone could justify this shutting down of the economy over 2% of mostly people over 70 is because they have a political motive to try to hurt Trump that is it. Anyone who with reason on their brain would know the ends are not justifying the means.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:00 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Yes, the Italians, Brits, and most western nations and many right wing US governors hate Trump so much they are hurting their economies not because of a public health crisis, but because of their dislike of Trump.

Why did I not see that. Thanks for the insight and "reason".

Old 04-01-2020, 04:04 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
The petition is to close the bridges to seasonal residents and tourists, not to blow them up. From the article: "...only year-round residents, medical personnel, and delivery trucks carrying essential supplies, should be allowed there."
I'm a CPA and my office is in Falmouth but live off Cape. I am deemed essential as those in the financial world are consulting/helping business wade their way through the drastic downturn in business. I don't deliver anything nor do I have a house on the Cape. If the bridges are shut down I would hope and expect I can still get through.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:09 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Anyone could die of anything. When I was a kid a classmate died of the flu. Someone got hit by a truck in a freak accident outside my workplace.
Should we stop all trucks? Should we homeschool children because they could die of the flu?
The only way anyone could justify this shutting down of the economy over 2% of mostly people over 70 is because they have a political motive to try to hurt Trump that is it. Anyone who with reason on their brain would know the ends are not justifying the means.
This is not just "the flu", it's a variety of SARS. The death rate from influenza is 0.10% A 2% death rate is 20 times that. There are 327 million people in the US, if just 30% caught the virus a 2% death rate would result in nearly 2 million deaths. If you don't like the restrictions on your 'freedom', why don't you move? Complaining on a public forum won't change things and given your cavalier attitude towards people over 70 who are the most vulnerable has probably not done much to increase your popularity here.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:10 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I know people whose livelihoods are also being ruined. It’s possibly to feel bad for them and question all of this and still feel bad for people dying
I certainly know many people in my mountain town in Colorado who have been ruined financially- a lot of very small business, hospitality, petsitter, waitresses, really any business. People who work for the small school systems. Anything visitor-related. Also, there have been no positive cases in this tiny empty county and some people are fixated on confirmed cases or not.

I have no reason to "question all this" while I am horrified at the financial implications. I lowered the rent to cost on my unemployed tenant (husband works as a janitor at a coal mine is "essential"), go to local businesses and buy for me and pay it forward, donate to the food bank and the local assistance fund. And so forth.

But no questioning "all this." I don't overly feel bad about people dying, no one needs my sympathy. But my information and knowledge about how to slow this all down or prevent more dying, that's firm. I feel bad about a life-changing and world-changing medical and life and economic event in the whole country and the world.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:15 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:

Serious question: how much would you be willing to pay to avoid a 2% chance of ending up dead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts