Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2020, 10:26 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Right I don’t know why it’s assumed I’m jealous. It’s more like anger that many people will suffer while the greedy rich are barely affected. It’s nice to see some of the rich ones donating at least.
Are you suggesting that you're suffering? Last I heard, you're employed, working from home, window shopping for a 750k house, and your biggest problem in the world is that your kids are annoying you.

Millions upon millions of people have lost their jobs. A large percentage of those people were living paycheck-to-paycheck. They can't pay their bills. They can't pay their rent/mortgage. They will be facing eviction soon...with no place to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 11:42 PM

295 posts, read 317,224 times
Comparing flu vs this is like comparing apples vs oranges. it’s not “more or less” or roughly the same thing. Saying that essentially implies it’s in the same ballpark.

With the flu it’s more predictable. We all know cases will go down in the summer and what’s more or less going to happen next season. There will be vaccines for the common strains. With the coronavirus, no one knows what’s going to happen next. If we try to handle it like we do with the flu, the results may not be the same. We don’t even know if there is a vaccine for it a year from now and how it’s gonna mutate next fall. Not one single person in the world can tell you if it’s gonna stick around in the summer. Its summer in Australia and they’ve got like 4-5k cases.

I’ve also heard it’s more contagious so a lot more people would get infected over a shorter period of time. So if the flu is like 50 inches of snow over the course of around 2 months, the coronavirus is like getting 50 inches over a month or so? Or something like that. Snow showers and a blizzard are both snow, but ain’t nobody gonna say it’s “more or less” the same thing.

The time it takes between getting the flu and showing symptoms is like a few days, meaning people who are sick generally get treated fairly quickly and limit the spread to others. This thing I believe is like average 5 and up to 14 days which means someone could be transmitting it to people for quite some time before anyone realizes. Is a weekend getaway(2 days) “more or less” the same as taking the whole week off(5 days) or a two week(14 days) vacation to Hawaii?

Add to it the estimate that the mortality rate is 10 times higher(.1% vs 1%?). If you made 10% of your current salary would you say you’re making “more or less” the same amount?

Last edited by Steephill2; 04-02-2020 at 12:52 AM..

Old 04-02-2020, 05:20 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,766,158 times
Default Cape Cod Residents Petition To Close Bridges During Coronavirus Pandemic

10 to 15 kids is a full beach...I think the woman has too much time on her hands.

Quote:

Cape Codder and year-round resident Beth Hickman said, “People are acting like it’s vacation time. The beaches are full, I drove by a beach a couple weekends ago and there was a group of like 10 to 15 kids just hanging out.”

She started an online petition to restrict Cape Cod to year-round residents, medical personnel, and deliveries of essential supplies. It claimed the possible influx of infected people would overwhelm the health care system and would drain limited resources and supplies in what is still the offseason.
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/03/...close-bridges/

Old 04-02-2020, 06:15 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I think what's really annoying people is some of this back and forth of what's open and closed and what's recommended procedures to stay safe. Everybody agrees that washing your hands is the number one important hard but you wear masks or not? Should you clean your mail when it comes in or not? I hardly get mail so I doubt it? There's a higher alcohol percentage means cleans better? I don't think so if it's sweet spot seems to be 70%

Not all places the United States are separate states you got Metro areas that transcend States. Connecticut closed down stores before Massachusetts so naturally that encourage more people to come to Massachusetts. state counties and local governments should probably try to talk to each other when they start instituting different changes so that way they can anticipate with the reactions might be in their area.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:19 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
But we let people die from the flu all the time. Don’t deny that.

And I never said I was invincible.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:35 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
But we let people die from the flu all the time. Don’t deny that.

And I never said I was invincible.
I deny it. We don't "let" them die. They do die, of course, but we fight to save them. This is all about helping medical professionals be able to fight for more people to save them.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:46 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
Quote:
But we let people die from the flu all the time
Why don't you unplug for a bit?

Old 04-02-2020, 06:47 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
New Unemployment claims last week just came out... 6.6 million. That's on top of 3.3 million the previous week. Probably only a matter of time before riots start if the economy doesn't restart soon.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:51 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Probably only a matter of time before riots start if the economy doesn't restart soon.
You keep posting this ridiculousness. Seems like you're actually rooting for it.

Old 04-02-2020, 07:12 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,737 times
When you consider all the people connected to those 10 to 15 kids who don't practice social distancing, that's essentially a full beach.

[edit: this was in reply tot the Cape Cod beach article that was merged from another thread.]

Last edited by bohemka; 04-02-2020 at 07:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts