Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2020, 06:49 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
My MIL contracted the Virus on Mar 9th. 8th confirmed case in her state. Almost 2 months later she still can feel the effects in her lungs. Random isolated coughing fits, and not able to exert herself like she used to. 61 and no underling health conditions, but definitely slow to heal.

Despite the lingering effects. State called her once after discharge, and considers her “recovered”.
Just to amend. She is now part of a study as to the long term effects of covid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 06:50 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I read the articles on that and don’t buy it. One would have to take very shallow breaths for hours to never exhale through the mask. Average volume of an n95 is about 100-150ml. Average relaxed human breath is 300-500ml of air. By that logic there needs to be gas exchange. It’s not difficult to breathe through it at all and anyone who’s done construction work with safety glasses will tell you that you are constantly fogging your glasses up with your breath.

Did the person pass out? Probably so. But people do pass out behind the wheel from time to time. Only reason this time is newsworthy is because they just happened to have an n95 mask on when they did it. I’ve worn those masks for hours and don’t see this happening to a healthy young adult with normal lung capacity.

Was this person a tiny, frail old woman with underlying respiratory issues to begin with? If so...then I might go out on a limb and say plausible but need more data
Valid research has shown continuous use does lower blood oxygen concentration.

This said, if it was dangerous for healthy individuals you’d see woodworkers, healthcare workers, heavy industry workers, etc. dropping like flies. They’re not.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:23 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Ppes are not meant to be worn all the time. Eventually they wear our or need to be cleaned. The higher the protection the more effort it will take to breathe. I don't think you should exercise while wearing one

Old 04-29-2020, 07:30 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Default two stories on handeling covid 19

I will post numbers here on two different places in the world. One is michigan which has a total lockdown and one is Sweden which has no lockdown.

Michigan : population 9.8 million people

Sweden population 10.2 million people

Michigan two major urban areas Detriot , Lansing

Sweden :two major urban areas Stolkholm ,Gothenburg

Michigan was in total lockdown

Sweden No lockdown

Michigan: total covid cases 38,210....... 3,407 deaths

Sweden Total covid cases 19,621...............2,355 deaths

Whats going on I thought lockdowns or shutdown what ever you want to call them work?

you make the decision

I took these numbers yesturday.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Valid research has shown continuous use does lower blood oxygen concentration.

This said, if it was dangerous for healthy individuals you’d see woodworkers, healthcare workers, heavy industry workers, etc. dropping like flies. They’re not.
Well, that's why I added my last line. Obviously we won't get a full medical history on the individual that crashed, but for your average healthy individual I don't think it's an issue.

When I was in construction or painting a car, I used to wear one for 7-8-9 hours a day without issue. Young, 20-something year old.

If this were to happen, I would imagine it would occur to someone in rather frail condition. They aren;'t the most comfortable to wear, especially when exerting yourself.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
I will post numbers here on two different places in the world. One is michigan which has a total lockdown and one is Sweden which has no lockdown.

Sweden No lockdown

Whats going on I thought lockdowns or shutdown what ever you want to call them work?

you make the decision

I took these numbers yesturday.

Too early to compare. Looking at Sweden's daily cases, it looks like they are still on the upswing of their curve, while Michigan appears to be on the backside.

For one, The Model predicts that Michigan is past peak and on the decline

https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...erica/michigan

While Sweden is still 25 days or so away from peak and has 4X more predicted fatalities.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/sweden

Yes, I realize these models have been heavily doubted, change daily, and may be way off from the truth, but my main point here is we need to wait until a point further in the future to look back debate what was the proper response and what was excessive.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 04-29-2020 at 08:38 AM..

Old 04-29-2020, 07:59 AM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post

Sweden No lockdown

you make the decision
What you're ignoring is the difference in attitude and compliance with the directives. The European mentality on acquiescing a lot of authority to government is totally different than in the States. Check out the level of taxation in Sweden, and all the other "cradle to grave" programs there, and get back to us.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:23 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Italy population: 60.43 million
Italy Corona cases: 201,505
Italy Corona deaths: 27,359

Germany population: 84.41 million
Germany Corona cases: 160,004
Germany Corona deaths: 6,320

Old 04-29-2020, 08:31 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
I find Sweden to be a success story: they had minimal closures (a few schools, large events, and I believe restrictions around senior centers), their death rate is 22/100,000, which is lower than Italy, Spain, and U.K., data suggest the curve has flattened and the health care system has not been overwhelmed at any point, and they are getting closer to herd immunity so that they aren't so worried about any future "waves" the way countries in lockdown or with more regulations are since they don't have to devise an exit strategy.

I know others keep comparing Sweden to its neighbors, who are all in a lockdown, but I agree with one of the doctors in a CNN article about Sweden:

"And as long as the healthcare system reasonably can cope with and give good care to the ones that need care, it's not clear that having the cases later in time is better."

Old 04-29-2020, 08:33 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I find Sweden to be a success story: they had minimal closures (a few schools, large events, and I believe restrictions around senior centers), their death rate is 22/100,000, which is lower than Italy, Spain, and U.K., data suggest the curve has flattened and the health care system has not been overwhelmed at any point, and they are getting closer to herd immunity so that they aren't so worried about any future "waves" the way countries in lockdown or with more regulations are since they don't have to devise an exit strategy.

I know others keep comparing Sweden to its neighbors, who are all in a lockdown, but I agree with one of the doctors in a CNN article about Sweden:

"And as long as the healthcare system reasonably can cope with and give good care to the ones that need care, it's not clear that having the cases later in time is better."

Sweden cannot be compared to countries like Italy and Spain where the virus got an early foothold (in the same way North Dakota can't be compared to New York). But yeah I agree, they are doing something right over there although it's unclear just what yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts