Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2020, 08:12 AM

12,867 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Anyone read this? https://apps.bostonglobe.com/metro/g...onavirus-tale/

It’s long, and it doesn’t tell us much we don’t already know, but It’s a good read and really humanizes a lot of the numbers and headlines we’ve seen over the past few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 08:53 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

It’s long, and it doesn’t tell us much we don’t already know, but It’s a good read and really humanizes a lot of the numbers and headlines we’ve seen over the past few months.

Globe.com has a paywall.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:54 AM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

I just got done reading this in the print edition. If nothing else, it reinforces how darn contagious and insidious this virus has been.

My conclusion, at the end of it all, was that Mar 3 was the pivotal date when the state experts should have begun acting. There's the DPH epidemiologist who twice dismissed the report from the physician in the Berkshires, and the host of authorities who did not realize the implications of the Biogen event right away. We would probably still be in the current stay-at-home situation had we acted sooner, but the number of deaths would have been likely cut in half. The "comparing of notes" between MGH and UCSF is extremely telling, in and of itself.

Old 05-31-2020, 08:35 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/31/h...ronavirus.html

It will be interesting to see what happens with what are currently extremely positive (and hard earned) data trends over the next 2 weeks.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:09 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/31/h...ronavirus.html

It will be interesting to see what happens with what are currently extremely positive (and hard earned) data trends over the next 2 weeks.
It'll probably cause it to spread some but it'll be okay, don't think it'd be any worse than Home Depot or Lowes these days.

Maybe this will be the kick in the butt the Pols needed to get things reopen. I guess it was inevitable this would happen with all the tension building from the shutdown. Just needed a spark.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:22 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
So just a bit of a personal update.

My MIL is still recovering from Covid after contracting it back in early March. She was tested again in early May and deemed negative, but has been complaining of being persistently out of breath. Some Cat scans and tests later, it was determined she still had blood clots and damage in her lungs. Still being treated for that now. Again, she was 61 with no prior conditions. Very healthy woman.

Interestingly enough, she was prescribed Vitamin D to take.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:39 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
So just a bit of a personal update.

My MIL is still recovering from Covid after contracting it back in early March. She was tested again in early May and deemed negative, but has been complaining of being persistently out of breath. Some Cat scans and tests later, it was determined she still had blood clots and damage in her lungs. Still being treated for that now. Again, she was 61 with no prior conditions. Very healthy woman.

Interestingly enough, she was prescribed Vitamin D to take.
The clotting is scary, I'm sorry she's still battling it. Do they want her up and moving around? Is she on any blood thinners, or do those not help with the covid-related clotting?

Old 06-01-2020, 07:43 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
The clotting is scary, I'm sorry she's still battling it. Do they want her up and moving around? Is she on any blood thinners, or do those not help with the covid-related clotting?
She's been active for a while. Going out, kayaking, doing short walks, etc. So it's not like she's been housebound. The lingering effects have been more of a nuisance really. Walking up a flight of stairs and needing to catch one's breath. She's started a few meds of which I didn't catch the name. The vitamin D was the only one I can remember at the moment.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:25 AM

12,867 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I just got done reading this in the print edition. If nothing else, it reinforces how darn contagious and insidious this virus has been.

My conclusion, at the end of it all, was that Mar 3 was the pivotal date when the state experts should have begun acting. There's the DPH epidemiologist who twice dismissed the report from the physician in the Berkshires, and the host of authorities who did not realize the implications of the Biogen event right away. We would probably still be in the current stay-at-home situation had we acted sooner, but the number of deaths would have been likely cut in half. The "comparing of notes" between MGH and UCSF is extremely telling, in and of itself.
Yeah, I had similar takeaways. The MGH and USCF comparison was extremely telling - the Bay Area and Boston reported a wave of cases at around the same time, but the Bay Area locked down almost immediately. The results speak for themselves.

The thing that also stood out was how hard it was to get tested early on. Like you said, the DPH epidemiologists dismissing the physician in the Berkshires was one example. The Biogen cases are terrifying. We ran into this personally, my father had symptoms in early March. He hadn't traveled to an infected area and was told that he couldn't be tested. Thankfully, the VA in Providence was able to test him, but my mother and my siblings who all had contact with him were unable to get tested. The CDC being slow to implement testing, then putting out flawed tests/having to recall them and start over further exacerbated the response.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:06 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
She's been active for a while. Going out, kayaking, doing short walks, etc. So it's not like she's been housebound. The lingering effects have been more of a nuisance really. Walking up a flight of stairs and needing to catch one's breath. She's started a few meds of which I didn't catch the name. The vitamin D was the only one I can remember at the moment.
Blood clots is something that should be treatable. Can be deadly but treatable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts