Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2020, 03:11 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are sharing a 1,200 square foot apartment with zero issue. It's a little dated, but larger than the average apartment in the area, so we've managed well. 1st floor on a classic three-decker with double parlor. The porches on the front and back have been life savers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 03:30 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
I mean parents don't have an ounce of privacy right now.
Kids still go to bed early. How do you think any younger siblings are born?

Old 05-28-2020, 03:38 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Kids still go to bed early. How do you think any younger siblings are born?
I thought the original comment was about "first-born children" who are often described as arriving early.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:05 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,392 times
My company is tentatively planning to open the office on July 15th. I do not plan on going back all summer long.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:22 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
The Boston Marathon, which had been previously postponed until September, has now been officially cancelled. While I have been critical of other cancellations for things still a ways off, this one was a no brainer. Even in a best case scenario, there is no way this area needs and influx 500k people from all over the world this fall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Agreed. Though I do feel for the runners who worked so hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
Most rational people would feel badly for the runners that were going to run, but we dont need the numerous people

THe revenue, Im sure, will be missed. BUt it is for the best, Im sure.

Cancelling right around now is actually best for the runners. 16 weeks before a marathon is when runners go into serious training mode in terms of long runs, tempo runs, cross training on off days. We're about 14 weeks out so most serious training has just started. Waiting until later would really tick people off.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:26 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
All relative really. I grew up in a family of 5 with 1500sf and 1 bathroom between us all.

We aren't even using the 600sf in the basement right now. Room to expand into as the kids get older.
My cousins were from a family of 5 in a similar size house with 1.5 baths, maybe even a bit smaller. They were fine, no "hardship". Oldest son later moved up to the attic and used that for his bedroom until he left home. Their family, like ours, were immigrants from Europe. When they were starting out here, money was tight. Uncle worked for Dupont as a professonal engineer and he did very well after awhile, but he was down to earth, and never felt a need to move. He and my aunt lived in that house for over 50 years.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:27 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Probably, but it will be interesting. The Big E pulls most of it’s visitors from MA, whereas the marathon is bringing people in from all over the world and concentrating them in the urban core. The events are very different in that way.
Back in March, Tokyo ran their marathon with only 200 elite runners and wheelchair athletes rather than the 38K that had registered. They also advised spectators to not come out and there were only about 20% of the usual number watching along the route. It would be difficult to run it without spectators cause "Merica - mah rights."

Old 05-28-2020, 05:36 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I've heard City hall employees at City of Springfield are told to show up for half time in the office June 8th. Also supposedly the parking authority has still charged employees for the months they didn't come in :-o (it's about $100 a month).

I don't see anyone going into anything at full capacity until the 25% rate increases and day cares open up in July. All things being said I see a pretty quiet summer. I just hope we don't have a heat wave (there is drought on the horizon).

Old 05-28-2020, 05:41 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I've heard City hall employees at City of Springfield are told to show up for half time in the office June 8th. Also supposedly the parking authority has still charged employees for the months they didn't come in :-o (it's about $100 a month).

I don't see anyone going into anything at full capacity until the 25% rate increases and day cares open up in July. All things being said I see a pretty quiet summer. I just hope we don't have a heat wave (there is drought on the horizon).
Areas that rely on tourism, like Cape Cod and coastal Maine, must be hard-hit. At this point (still), out-of-state people can't even go into Maine without a 14-day quarantine, which means tourism is basically illegal. And at least along much of the coast (aside from Portland), tourism basically IS the economy.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:49 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Well my kids camp in July has been cancelled. They sent an email tonight. Said they just couldn’t see how they could do it when so much of it is swimming, sports plus having to wear masks. Stinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts