Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 12:33 PM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

When I was tested back on March 14th, it took 7 days to get results. Interesting to see that in some cases that hasn't changed. I personally wasn't a fan of the test. I found it uncomfortable, so unless they have revised it so it's not as uncomfortable, I wouldn't get tested again unless absolutely necessary. No issue getting an antibody test if access to one popped up right in front of me. (they did it at work or somewhere where I happened to already be)

Also, what is the rule regarding travel to Maine? They want a 14-day quarantine or a 3-day recent neg test result. Family and I are going for 4 days to stay at my college roommates lakehouse in mid Aug. We will be staying alone, and bringing in our own food so no need to go anywhere. Technically, that's "quarantining" right? Get in, relax on the lake a few days, and go home? No problem right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 12:49 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Also, what is the rule regarding travel to Maine? They want a 14-day quarantine or a 3-day recent neg test result. Family and I are going for 4 days to stay at my college roommates lakehouse in mid Aug. We will be staying alone, and bringing in our own food so no need to go anywhere. Technically, that's "quarantining" right? Get in, relax on the lake a few days, and go home? No problem right?
Yes as long as it's his private home, and not some type of Airbnb or homeaway that he rents out by the week, etc.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:55 PM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Yes as long as it's his private home, and not some type of Airbnb or homeaway that he rents out by the week, etc.
Yup. Private home not rented out at all. Sounds like we are good to go.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:58 PM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Not at all. CVS minute clinic...I happened to go to the one in Burlington, but there are lots of options.
Thanks. There really are a lot of options. We have some provided by the city, but there are free walk-ins in Chelsea, Everett, and beyond. The free Mass General location in Chelsea apparently has minimal waits according to my neighbor who works there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
When I was tested back on March 14th, it took 7 days to get results. Interesting to see that in some cases that hasn't changed. I personally wasn't a fan of the test. I found it uncomfortable, so unless they have revised it so it's not as uncomfortable, I wouldn't get tested again unless absolutely necessary. No issue getting an antibody test if access to one popped up right in front of me. (they did it at work or somewhere where I happened to already be)
My first one in June wasn't bad at all. 10 seconds in the nostril with the Q-Tip-like swap, not as deep as I thought it would be, and a mild sensation that felt like getting salt water in your nose. But that sensation was gone +/- 5 seconds after the swab was removed.

The test I took yesterday was worse. I feel bad because I told my girlfriend that a lot of the talk about it being uncomfortable was overblown. But this one used more of a bristly swab (looked like a pipe/tube cleaner) and she went into both nostrils for 5 seconds each. But this felt deeper and more invasive. Again, not the worst thing I've experienced, but the discomfort wasn't overblown. My eyes were watering afterwards.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:36 PM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
I keep getting articles on my Facebook feed about how this pandemic is shaping the future of corporate jobs--namely by creating shorter days and/or shorter work weeks. Has anybody experienced either shorter days or shorter work weeks? I am one of millions who is now working from home, but my day is certainly longer and fuller than ever (and we all took a pay cut as well).

I chose the company I work for because I wanted more work/life balance. Before this pandemic, late nights were rare and it was not expected that we would check email after work hours. Now we are four months in and not only are we expected to work at times when we would formerly be commuting, but there are many late nights because the work does not just stop at a certain time. In my circle of working mom friends, we are all experiencing similar situations at different companies. So I'm just curious of there is a large group of people that is experiencing the opposite--shorter days, shorter weeks, fewer meetings, more work/life balance? I left my hectic agency life to create more balance for myself, but this pandemic has made me feel like I'm back in a constantly-connected culture.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:54 PM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I keep getting articles on my Facebook feed about how this pandemic is shaping the future of corporate jobs--namely by creating shorter days and/or shorter work weeks. Has anybody experienced either shorter days or shorter work weeks? I am one of millions who is now working from home, but my day is certainly longer and fuller than ever (and we all took a pay cut as well).

I chose the company I work for because I wanted more work/life balance. Before this pandemic, late nights were rare and it was not expected that we would check email after work hours. Now we are four months in and not only are we expected to work at times when we would formerly be commuting, but there are many late nights because the work does not just stop at a certain time. In my circle of working mom friends, we are all experiencing similar situations at different companies. So I'm just curious of there is a large group of people that is experiencing the opposite--shorter days, shorter weeks, fewer meetings, more work/life balance? I left my hectic agency life to create more balance for myself, but this pandemic has made me feel like I'm back in a constantly-connected culture.
I have had a number of different work experiences over the years, and I have my own theory. I've worked in offices, from home but for a company, from home as self-employed, and from home for a company where everyone works from home. The last situation—the same situation you and many others are likely in right now—is by far the most intrusive.

It is one thing to work from home and have things go quiet when everyone leaves the "real" office. It's quite another when everyone is essentially always in the office. Traditional business hours seem to go right out the window. And some team and personal messaging apps (like Slack) create a false sense of urgency that something needs to be addressed immediately.

If your colleague is kicking around at home with nothing better to do but get some work done, and they email or message you about a project, it's pretty easy to slip down that work rabbit hole, even if it's 10 p.m. It's tough enough to balance work and family life when you work from home, but when everyone's working from home, the boundary between work and private life in your own house can be nearly non-existent. At least in this country.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:56 PM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:

I'm feeling this 100%. It's like there's no off time or down time...even "lunch hour" is fair game to have a meeting booked. Not to mention...I'm finding it very tough to get information that I may have picked up casually from a hallway conversation. Now it's a special effort (e-mail, IM, or call) to get that same information...very time-consuming and draining.

It's a problem I don't complain too loudly about however, because I'm blessed to have a well-paying job that I can do from home, when so many have lost their jobs with no certain future in sight.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:

I'm in a similar boat. I'm working more and for longer hours than I was pre-pandemic. And I've received calls as late as 10pm on Saturday for "crises" that in the past would have waited until Monday. I rarely get a real lunch anymore, and I'm expected to be available more than ever. I'm lucky enough to have dodged a furlough or pay cut (for now), but working from home hasn't amounted to the quality of life improvement for me that it seems others are experiencing. I know a handful of people on this forum that are hoping they never have to go back into the office. I also know people who can't wait to go back. Myself and most of the people in my office who have begun the gradual return are definitely in the latter category.

The one thing that WFH has given me is a little flexibility in terms of midday errands. I think I'd be happy with a future schedule where I regularly report to the office, but have better flexibility to WFH occasionally/as-needed. We've had that to a degree, but I always felt bad asking to work from home to deal with the plumber or something rather than taking the day. Hopefully it's easier now. But this WFH stretch has really, really messed with some boundaries that existed before the pandemic.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:50 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
31% of kids in Florida tested for COVID-19 are positive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKgfEceRpLc

Old 07-16-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
^GF and I just got tested again yesterday after a weekend that involved (unintentionally) more close contact with a large number of people than we've experienced since before the pandemic. We were told 24-72 hours for results. When I was tested in June (same facility), I was told 3-5 days (but I got my results the next day). So we will see. I have heard rumblings that results are taking a bit longer.
Got mine this afternoon, almost exactly 24 hours after taking the test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts