Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2020, 08:25 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times

Advertisements

Yep. If only we could be like Kentucky with their 4.3% unemployment.

Attached Thumbnails
Coronavirus in Massachusetts-masscount.jpg   Coronavirus in Massachusetts-kycount.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 08:46 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
The 7 day average according to the New York Times is 27 per 100,000. Nantucket is 44 and Bristol County is 37. I’ve noticed that outdoor mask usage with less than 6’ of separation has tailed off and fewer people are honoring separation in stores. It would be good to improve on that. Connecticut is 17 per 100,000.

Old 07-19-2020, 08:53 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
The worse of it is that if you lost your office job, you aren't going to seriously sniff another one until companies start to go back to the office, even if the company wanted to hire. It'd be such a pain in the butt to onboard someone remotely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Yep. If only we could be like Kentucky with their 4.3% unemployment.
Hard to brag about number of cases when MA was hit so hard in the beginning. There's got to be some amount of herd immunity helping things now.

Old 07-19-2020, 09:38 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
The worse of it is that if you lost your office job, you aren't going to seriously sniff another one until companies start to go back to the office, even if the company wanted to hire. It'd be such a pain in the butt to onboard someone remotely.

Hard to brag about number of cases when MA was hit so hard in the beginning. There's got to be some amount of herd immunity helping things now.

Not necessarily true. My company is hiring while we're 100% remote. My group just hired three people this week alone.

We've been on-boarding people virtually since March and it has worked out fine.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:46 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
It depends on the industry. I hired two people a month ago and it's been fine. I know of at least a handful of former colleagues that changed jobs during COVID without any problems and some are actively interviewing.

Old 07-19-2020, 01:40 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
It depends on the industry. I hired two people a month ago and it's been fine. I know of at least a handful of former colleagues that changed jobs during COVID without any problems and some are actively interviewing.
Agreed. In tech, the recruiters are still circling talent like vultures in their efforts to fill head count.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:36 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
I don't know how that website calculates that number, but it can't be correct.
It's the same website that was showing us at 0.7 a few weeks ago.

https://rt.live/us/MA

Old 07-19-2020, 06:34 PM

The Globe addressed this yesterday in a front page article. The high unemployment is a direct consequence of not re-opening as quickly. Guess what? There's certain businesses which will not open until Phase 4 (bars come to mind)...so we will not fully recover until then or maybe even later.

What these numbers say is--our Gov & his admin made a conscious decision to favor public health over economic health. To point out the number of cases in MA vs. KY is a non-starter with me, because MA was hit early (it's clear...based on Northeastern University's model, that the virus was circulating in Boston all through February). KY would never get the constant volume of overseas visitors and domestic business travel that MA gets.

Old 07-19-2020, 06:59 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
The Globe addressed this yesterday in a front page article. The high unemployment is a direct consequence of not re-opening as quickly. Guess what? There's certain businesses which will not open until Phase 4 (bars come to mind)...so we will not fully recover until then or maybe even later.

What these numbers say is--our Gov & his admin made a conscious decision to favor public health over economic health. To point out the number of cases in MA vs. KY is a non-starter with me, because MA was hit early (it's clear...based on Northeastern University's model, that the virus was circulating in Boston all through February). KY would never get the constant volume of overseas visitors and domestic business travel that MA gets.
I do agree MA and much of the northeast got hit early. I have a different opinion that as long as the hospitals weren't overloaded they should have opened up right after. I still think it was completely unconstitutional for the government to decide which businesses could and can't open and when.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
I do agree MA and much of the northeast got hit early. I have a different opinion that as long as the hospitals weren't overloaded they should have opened up right after. I still think it was completely unconstitutional for the government to decide which businesses could and can't open and when.
I disagree but don't want to engage in debate, as the Coronavirus master thread has plenty of it . As I said, the Gov favored public health, not just hospital capacity, as the main criterion, and this is the result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts