Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2020, 06:16 AM

12,427 posts, read 9,529,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
The vaccine is getting complicated
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mo...ion-2020-08-27

Your drug store clinic is Not going to be able to give this. Same with a city or town hall. This might mean you must go to a hospital for it which is fine for Boston and urban areas. But rural... Forget about it. This might mean busses would have to be chartered from Berkshire and Franklin County in mass and many other states to do similar actions.

Rural areas are screwed. No herd immunity and a lack of access to vaccines.
It's definitely a disadvantage of the mRNA vaccines - their poor thermal stability. I believe the plan is to use "freezer farms" with lab grade freezers to store them in large facilities, and then ship them in dry ice coolers good for a few days, to the point of care - which sounds like it should work, with strong logistics, though it's clearly less than ideal. These are what I am calling lab grade freezers, they can do -80C, also known as -112F:
https://www.thermofisher.com/us/en/h...-minus-80.html

Not all of the Covid-19 vaccines under development are mRNA vaccines requiring these storage conditions. For example the Sanofi-GSK vaccine and the Novavax vaccine will not. Our company doesn't make vaccines, so I don't know too much about the development processes. However I think that one of the advantages of mRNA vaccines is that they are quicker to develop. So the vaccines that are simpler to handle during distribution, are likely to come out one or two quarters later than the mRNA vaccines, I think.

P.S. Verified that mRNA vaccines are quicker (and in fact simpler and cheaper) to develop. "Continued growth in the vaccine business is expected based on expanded coverage, improved existing products, and new vaccines. Among other factors, manufacturing must change to support growth. Capital-rich investment in fixed facilities that commit to a given form of production for a given target poses significant costs and challenges to vaccine manufacturers if there is a major change in strategy. Long lead times in manufacturing, and potentially hundreds of complex process steps, all complicate capabilities. Vaccine companies, like the biotech industry, desire novel production methods out of a need for efficiency that reduce the cost of goods, shorten time to licensure, and respond quicker to disease outbreaks. mRNA-based vaccines hold the promise to revolutionize the field by addressing current manufacturing challenges and offering novel vaccine compositions."

"The promise of mRNA vaccines: a biotech and industrial perspective"
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41541-020-0159-8

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 08-30-2020 at 06:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 07:20 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
1. Masks don't work (don't worry cause pro mask people will blame every case on a non mask wearer)
Standing here on August 30th, 2020, there are zero valid arguments against mask wearing.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/face-ma...ng-11595083298
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2768533
Quote:
2. Who cares about cases if they barely show any symptoms and aren't hospitalized.
184,353 deaths across the country (and counting) and probably 1 million (and counting) suffering long term health effects. Yeah who cares?
Quote:
3. Numbers can easily be manipulated, and they have been this entire time. If you test more you get more, and per the last major article I read from the NY times, positivity rate depends on how they set the testing. Just another mess with this. The below article, many now censored articles said the same back in March and April. Basically you could easily manipulate case count for fear or whatever reasons.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/h...s-testing.html
[/quote]
Sure they can be, but you have insinuate an underlying agenda that has zero proof of existing. Stop looking for stuff that's not there.

Old 08-30-2020, 08:26 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
and probably 1 million (and counting) suffering long term health effects. Yeah who cares?
The long term effects part seems to be super rare. I mean there are parts of NYC where (based upon the antibody tests) half of the area has the virus, and most of the city is like 30%+. You'd think we would be hearing about it if the effects was widespread.

Old 08-30-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
The long term effects part seems to be super rare. I mean there are parts of NYC where (based upon the antibody tests) half of the area has the virus, and most of the city is like 30%+. You'd think we would be hearing about it if the effects was widespread.
We haven't???

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne...ms/5420534002/

Old 08-30-2020, 08:54 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:
1. Masks don't work (don't worry cause pro mask people will blame every case on a non mask wearer)
2. Who cares about cases if they barely show any symptoms and aren't hospitalized.
3. Numbers can easily be manipulated, and they have been this entire time. If you test more you get more, and per the last major article I read from the NY times, positivity rate depends on how they set the testing. Just another mess with this. The below article, many now censored articles said the same back in March and April. Basically you could easily manipulate case count for fear or whatever reasons.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/h...s-testing.html
"If you test more you get more"

Trumpian logic at its finest.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:02 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Quote:
I guess I would mean it would be a bigger issue. You have to realize that the amount of people who caught the virus is multiples of the official tally.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I guess I would mean it would be a bigger issue. You have to realize that the amount of people who caught the virus is multiples of the official tally.
"Bigger" issue? The numbers uncounted are irrelevant here. How "big" of an issue is it supposed to be???

Old 08-30-2020, 12:43 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:

I’ve posted several time my MIL who had it in March is having long term effects and is part of a few studies. Upon one of her ER trips she was told “we’ve seen a lot of people who had it in March/April coming back with complications”

Old 08-30-2020, 01:40 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:

Maybe you're not listening, but we're certainly hearing about longterm effects.

More than half of the people I know who have had covid have longterm effects, most typically fatigue, lung issues, racing heartbeat, and relapses of initial symptoms. Less commonly, I have two friends who are now on dialysis and one friend (healthy weight, an athlete) who developed diabetes. These were previously healthy people in their 20s and 30s.

Old 08-30-2020, 04:07 PM

943 posts, read 410,072 times
How many people with covid do you know?
In the very long run - I would not be surprised if covid cuts many, many lives short due to hear/lung/kidney damage or diabetes amongst the "survivors". And what happens if you caught covid, didn't recover completely, and catch the flu 2 years later? Are you going to be more likely to die? Probably so.
In one study of covid survivors, with most not hospitalized and with an average age in the 40's, 78% of them showed heart damage on MRI...https://www.diagnosticimaging.com/vi...id-19-patients
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts