Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2020, 12:22 PM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Interesting observation with regard to Australia's Flu season this year. As you know, their winter is our summer so they are in the middle of flu season there.

https://www.immunisationcoalition.or...Stats-2020.pdf

https://globalnews.ca/news/7275558/c...n-coronavirus/

Huge drop-off in cases of flu
I haven't read the links, so I may be talking out of my rear or stating their exact reports, but I suspect we've now been forced to practice good habits and behavior that will benefit us during cold and flu season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 12:47 PM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
I haven't read the links, so I may be talking out of my rear or stating their exact reports, but I suspect we've now been forced to practice good habits and behavior that will benefit us during cold and flu season.
Pretty much. I was just commenting to the wife the other day that this is the longest stretch we've gone as a family without someone having a cold/fever.

Old 09-03-2020, 06:52 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Pretty much. I was just commenting to the wife the other day that this is the longest stretch we've gone as a family without someone having a cold/fever.
I was saying the same thing last week...and now we are all sick

I have to say, being sick right now is one of the more stressful times we've had in this pandemic. My kids and I have symptoms of a head cold, so I call their pediatrician's office to see what we need to do, but they recommended that I keep an eye on it and not to come in for testing given that we didn't have fevers, just sore throats and congestion. I called my doc and she recommended I get a strep test before going down the COVID testing road. So I did, but the test was negative (I didn't think it would be positive, my throat doesn't hurt that badly).

Finally today, when we've had symptoms since Monday and have been quarantining, they finally give me the number to get tested. I call the number and they said that results would take "at least" 10 days. So now I have an appt. at an urgent care center for later this afternoon so we can get tested through them instead.

Our babysitter went through something similar last week (head cold, tested negative for strep, then tested negative for COVID), and now this week we are essentially going through the same thing. Our doctors have been telling us a non-COVID virus is going around because they've had many patients coming in with symptoms and testing negative for strep, flu, and COVID. School hasn't even started yet and I've found that it's really not that easy to get tested.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:05 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I called my doc and she recommended I get a strep test before going down the COVID testing road.
I don't get this. Just order the test. A fever is not always present with Covid.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:27 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I don't get this. Just order the test. A fever is not always present with Covid.
I don't get it either. Our son had a really bad stomach ache and they tested him. I don't understand a doctor's office testing for strep but not for COVID. All that did was waste your time.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:29 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
I don't get it either. Our son had a really bad stomach ache and they tested him. I don't understand a doctor's office testing for strep but not for COVID. All that did was waste your time.
I absolutely agree. Next time, I'm just going to urgent care to get tested and not use them for guidance. I'm frustrated at how much time it wasted.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:40 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
I think it's partially an insurance thing. Testing is generally free with a referral, but we had to pay $160/pp (and wait in line 3 hours) to get tested before traveling out of state.

I was very sick a few weeks back. It seemed like a head cold, but I was up several nights coughing non stop. No fever, but very fatigued. I did not get tested. My wife had her annual physical yesterday and asked them to run an antibody test as part of her labs. Why do you want the test the dr asked? She said peace of mind and curiosity because her family had been sick. Nope, they didn't want to run it. All they had to do as pull an extra vial of blood.

Primary care doctors who embrace the role of gate keeper are beyond frustrating.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:48 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I think it's partially an insurance thing. Testing is generally free with a referral, but we had to pay $160/pp (and wait in line 3 hours) to get tested before traveling out of state.

I was very sick a few weeks back. It seemed like a head cold, but I was up several nights coughing non stop. No fever, but very fatigued. I did not get tested. My wife had her annual physical yesterday and asked them to run an antibody test as part of her labs. Why do you want the test the dr asked? She said peace of mind and curiosity because her family had been sick. Nope, they didn't want to run it. All they had to do as pull an extra vial of blood.

Primary care doctors who embrace the role of gate keeper are beyond frustrating.
It's all very penny wise pound foolish, too. How many people are going to quarantine for an illness their doctor doesn't even think needs to be tested for? I'm guessing not many.

My company, which generally offers fairly modest coverage, has flat-out waived all out-of-pocket COVID testing fees. They are risk-averse and the downside of not testing people is far bigger than the cost of testing them.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:05 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I was saying the same thing last week...and now we are all sick

I have to say, being sick right now is one of the more stressful times we've had in this pandemic. My kids and I have symptoms of a head cold, so I call their pediatrician's office to see what we need to do, but they recommended that I keep an eye on it and not to come in for testing given that we didn't have fevers, just sore throats and congestion. I called my doc and she recommended I get a strep test before going down the COVID testing road. So I did, but the test was negative (I didn't think it would be positive, my throat doesn't hurt that badly).

Finally today, when we've had symptoms since Monday and have been quarantining, they finally give me the number to get tested. I call the number and they said that results would take "at least" 10 days. So now I have an appt. at an urgent care center for later this afternoon so we can get tested through them instead.

Our babysitter went through something similar last week (head cold, tested negative for strep, then tested negative for COVID), and now this week we are essentially going through the same thing. Our doctors have been telling us a non-COVID virus is going around because they've had many patients coming in with symptoms and testing negative for strep, flu, and COVID. School hasn't even started yet and I've found that it's really not that easy to get tested.
There's something going around. I have it too (cough, malaise, sore throat, runny nose).

I don't see any reason to jump to thinking it's Covid yet, though. The way I see it, the course of treatment given to me will not change whether it's a simple cold or Covid, so it makes no difference knowing which it is.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:23 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
There's something going around. I have it too (cough, malaise, sore throat, runny nose).

I don't see any reason to jump to thinking it's Covid yet, though. The way I see it, the course of treatment given to me will not change whether it's a simple cold or Covid, so it makes no difference knowing which it is.
A few of my coworkers had a severe cold (or similar) last week ... coughing, runny nose, etc. All were tested and all were confirmed negative for Covid-19.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts