Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2020, 10:29 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
In Melbourne the residents are allowed outside for 1 hr a day to exercise. One person per household is allowed to go grocery shopping once per day. You are not allowed 5km away from home(3 miles) or you will be fined. There is a curfew where no one is allowed outside from 8 pm to 5 am. The only stores open are the grocery stores. You are fined if found to be in violation of any of these restrictions.

These people are basically under house arrest which is what many of you seem to be wanting in my opinion. If I wanted to live under an oppressive regime I’d look into North Korea.
I think there are number of things at play here

1) Experts struggle to quantify the specific risks associated with COVID
2) People are bad at quantifying their specific risk tolerance
3) Many people are averse to even discussing risk. They say things like "one preventable death is too many" when discussing things, but actively put themselves and others at higher risk than the 1/8b their professed risk tolerance would suggest is palatable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 10:32 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
That seems crazy to be tested every 3 days. And the test is pretty unpleasant from what I’ve heard. If I were a student I think I’d just stay home and do remote.
It's the less-invasive test. In fact, the students have to administer it themselves.

From what my co-ops told me, they go to the gym, queue up in line, when when they get there they are instructed how to insert the swab only 1" into their nasal cavity at a slight angle up, and then deposit it into a receiver tube. Easy and not as uncomfortable. They get results back in 24-48hrs, and have to repeat every 3 days to stay on campus.

I personally wouldn't like it if I had to get the toothbrush to the brain type swab every 3 days.

Also, SEVERE penalties for any parties. Basically told they would be expelled.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:55 AM

448 posts, read 282,292 times
Melbourne sounds too strict. But I would think it is working there, right?

But Im sure you meant it as a dig to most of us....

Old 09-01-2020, 10:59 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post

But Im sure you meant it as a dig to most of us....
Of course. Because being required to wear a mask to enter a privately owned grocery store is akin to living under an oppressive 3rd world regime. You know..where they supposedly shoot people who disobey quarantine orders

Old 09-01-2020, 11:23 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
I had the q-tip in the nose and it was so easy--at most, it tickled. If my family could be tested every few days easily, I would absolutely do that.

Last week our babysitter had a sore throat, so she went to doc for a strep test. Negative. Doctor had her come back the following day for a COVID test, she had to quarantine until her negative result came back. So we didn't see her all week. Then yesterday my daughter had a queasy stomach. Doc said she didn't need to be tested, but with every single symptom it's always at the front of your mind. As fall creeps closer, if I had access to very easy and convenient testing, I'd be testing as often as I could!

Old 09-01-2020, 11:49 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
My Northeastern Co-op just informed me that in order for a student to be on campus (in dorm or attending class) they will need to be tested every 3 days.

Literally they get the test results back, and then report to have another test done. No idea how long this will continue, but that's gotta be expensive.
BU is every 48 hours. I’m not told it’s not big deal. There are multiple self service locations spread across campus. The students self swab and get the results via an app within 24 hours. There is reported little or no wait.

I’m sure it’s expensive, but not as expensive as closing campus.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:18 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
My Northeastern Co-op just informed me that in order for a student to be on campus (in dorm or attending class) they will need to be tested every 3 days.

Literally they get the test results back, and then report to have another test done. No idea how long this will continue, but that's gotta be expensive.
Quote:
That seems crazy to be tested every 3 days. And the test is pretty unpleasant from what I’ve heard. If I were a student I think I’d just stay home and do remote.
NU testing is as follows:

Test one on day of arrival
Test two 3 days later
Test three 2 days later
Ongoing testing every 5 days.

They can then attend in person classes after negative tests 1-3 and they must check in to an app every day.

And yes, it's expensive.

My personal points:

Assumption University - testing twice a week for all students and staff, campus de-intensified to half student population (about 1000 students) Budget is $1 million for the fall. As of Sunday - 3600 tests, 2 positive, both employees.

Tufts University - testing twice a week for most students and staff, campus fully open (appx. 5K persons) Budget is $10 million for the fall. As of Monday - 11K tests, 7 unique positive individuals.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:19 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:

Even the "brain tickling" swab isn't that bad. I had it twice so I would be able to safely see my grandmother.

The tests that schools are using are super noninvasive. I am only on campus once a week or so, and am never even in the same office suite with another person, and I am expected to be tested every time I drive in even if I am outside the whole time. I register online the night before, go to one of several test sites (all near the bigger parking lots or worksites), swab each nostril for 20 seconds each, and pop the swab in a tube and drop it off. I've gotten my results ranging from 12-29 hours after the test.

There's sometimes a line, but the whole process has never taken more than 2 minutes.

I feel very lucky that I have access to these tests. I can't imagine visiting older relatives - even outdoors and with masks - and not getting tested first.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:26 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
While the testing to support on-campus classes may be expensive, the colleges lose a TON of revenue from room and board fees, when they switch to remote learning - its a big problem for them financially. Plus, I am sure that the classroom offers a better learning experience for the students as well.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:53 PM

448 posts, read 282,292 times
I would hate to be doing the books this year for schools. The budget must be ugly. The worries each month closing the books must be ugly as well.

A lot of moving parts and money around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts